Joc Pederson: πŸ’€πŸ’€β€‹β€‹β€‹β€‹β€‹β€‹β€‹πŸ’€β€‹β€‹β€‹β€‹β€‹β€‹β€‹β€‹β€‹β€‹β€‹β€‹β€‹β€‹

NCsoxfan

6 minutes ago, SonofaRoache said:

I'm not concerned with trading Bush if you are actually getting a talented player. I dont like trading promising prospects for garbage like Shields.Β 

Amen.

Not only that, but getting a player (even with a financial subsidy) who partially hamstrings you payroll-wise down the line.

It would be one thing if we were trading talent for talent, like Rodon for Jonathan Gray, but this era of adding aging/experienced veterans years after their prime has to stop at some point.

Just now, Balta1701 said:

I don't like the concept of giving up a guy we could control for several years for a guy we'd control for 2...not when we'reΒ not in a position to compete in year 1 and additional help could be arriving as soon as year 2.

That is fair. But if Joc helps you get Machado, then you do it. Maybe Machado wants to see good faith effort that we can bring players in and try not to completely suck this year.Β 

Just now, SonofaRoache said:

That is fair. But if Joc helps you get Machado, then you do it. Maybe Machado wants to see good faith effort that we can bring players in and try not to completely suck this year.Β 

For a second I was going to sarcastically say that we might as well just declare Manny Machado the general manager if the entire roster is going to be people to make him happy,Β but then I realized that our current general manager is Rick Hahn, so you know what? Let's just make Manny Machado the general manager. Can't be worse.

1 minute ago, Balta1701 said:

For a second I was going to sarcastically say that we might as well just declare Manny Machado the general manager if the entire roster is going to be people to make him happy,Β but then I realized that our current general manager is Rick Hahn, so you know what? Let's just make Manny Machado the general manager. Can't be worse.

Sweet take bro.Β 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

Bryce Bush is a 2018 3B/1B with a 6-0 205 lb. frame from Birmingham, MI who attends De La Salle Collegiate HS. Strong athletic build, still has room to get stronger. Right handed hitter, low hand still start, very quick hands create outstanding bat speed, ball explodes off the barrel, has barrel control and the ability to drive the ball long and far, high ceiling hitter. 6.76 runner, clean actions in the infield, plays under control with soft hands and steady feet, gets plenty of carry on his throws. Corner infield tools with the athleticism to play left field as well. Bat is his carrying tool. Good student, verbal commitment to Mississippi State. Selected for the 2017 Perfect Game All-American Classic.

https://www.perfectgame.org/Players/Playerprofile.aspx?ID=407844

Β 

Who actually watched him play 3B on a daily basis for Great Falls?

He made 24 errors in 60 games at third between AZ and GF.Β  (Waiting for the caveat about Derek Jeter's 55 errors at Greensboro in 1993, lol.)

Edited by caulfield12

11 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

The biggest concern is who's going to be in charge of disciplining all these players who are basically connected to keeping Manny Machado happy?

Right now, it's basically 20% of the roster with a connection to him in one way or another...and the final point is what effect will creating a clique like that have on our ability to bring in 2-3 critical free agents next off season?

Edited by caulfield12

2 minutes ago, bmags said:

I generally have a rule that the longer the period between first learning about a trade and it not executing the more likely its dead. I’d put odds this occurs pretty low.

He said last night he expected it to get done next week.

1 minute ago, Sockin said:

He said last night he expected it to get done next week.

Not only does it really not make sense for the white sox but it makes a lot more sense for teams that are 1 or 2 years closer like the Braves, Phillies, A's, hell the Indians could really be a great fit for this guy they need the affordable OF help and should have stuff to trade. If this didn't get announced as complete, someone else should pay more than we would be willing to.

49 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

Except that's not 100% fair because Giolito wasn't in that vicinity after his fastball already started showing signs of dipping 2-3 MPH even with the Nationals.

Many publications still had him as a top 20 prospect at the time of the trade and he had already stated to lose velocity. Β Regardless, I’m not banking on a rebound from anyways, there is another former top 10 prospect I have far more confidence in and that’s Rodon. Β Plus Lopez was a universal top 40 prospect and I’m expecting big things from him.

4 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

Not only does it really not make sense for the white sox but it makes a lot more sense for teams that are 1 or 2 years closer like the Braves, Phillies, A's, hell the Indians could really be a great fit for this guy they need the affordable OF help and should have stuff to trade. If this didn't get announced as complete, someone else should pay more than we would be willing to.

I know it’s the popular narrative but I just don’t see how the Phillies are contending or closer to contending or further along in a rebuild, or any other way you can say it. Β I look at that roster and I see pure shit

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Jerksticks said:

I know it’s the popular narrative but I just don’t see how the Phillies are contending or closer to contending or further along in a rebuild, or any other way you can say it. Β I look at that roster and I see pure shit

The Phillies have three good to great hitters in Hoskins, Segura and McCutcheon (depending on what he has left).Β  Plus Franco, if they don't trade him with Machado signing...obviously, Harper would take one of their OF slots, which continues to be the logical sign because it would strengthen their weakest point and weaken one of their divisional opponents.

They have a VERY shaky rotation after you get past Nola/Arrieta, unless you believe 100% they can repeat last year's unexpected success.

1. Β Jean Segura – SS – 2.4 WAR
  2. Odubel Herrera – RF – 2.0 WAR
  3. Rhys Hoskins – 1B – 3.6 WAR
  4. Maikel Franco – 3B – 2.4 WAR
  5. Cesar Hernandez – 2B – 2.1 WAR
  6. Andrew McCutchen – LF – 2.9 WAR
  7. Jorge Alfaro – C – .8 WAR
  8. Roman Quinn – CF – .9 WAR

They've also improved their bullpen a lot, but this is not an everyday line-up that can compete without Harper or Machado.

Edited by caulfield12

1 minute ago, Jerksticks said:

Their pitching staff was 6th in MLB in fWAR and 3rd in the league in rWAR. Their starters led the league according to baseball-reference. That's the difference, their pitching staff is where we hope ours will be next year. They were 2 games below .500 last year because they had a strong pitching staff. They were "pure s***" at a number of positions, which means that someone like Joc would be a solid upgrade for them.Β 

15 minutes ago, bmags said:

Doesn’t mean I believe it. This sounds really early in process which means very likely to fall through with whatever discussed so far.

The thing with this one, though, is that Manny has to be finalized. If we don't get Manny or Bryce, it is pointless to do anything like a win-now move in the present

1 hour ago, caulfield12 said:

The biggest concern is who's going to be in charge of disciplining all these players who are basically connected to keeping Manny Machado happy?

Right now, it's basically 20% of the roster with a connection to him in one way or another...and the final point is what effect will creating a clique like that have on our ability to bring in 2-3 critical free agents next off season?

Next off season half of them are gone.

• Heads22 changed the title to JocTalk.com - Waiting......