Joc Pederson: πŸ’€πŸ’€β€‹β€‹β€‹β€‹β€‹β€‹β€‹πŸ’€β€‹β€‹β€‹β€‹β€‹β€‹β€‹β€‹β€‹β€‹β€‹β€‹β€‹β€‹

NCsoxfan

1 minute ago, Orlando said:

Anyone with a subscription?

Β 

"*Β Two things to like about Joc Pederson, who is drawing interest from the White Sox and possibly the Braves and others: His strikeout rate has dropped for four consecutive seasons, from 29.1 percent to 27.3 to 21.1 to 19.2. He also crushes right-handed pitching: .893 OPS with 24 homers in 386 plate appearances last season, .842 OPS for his career."

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, soxfan2014 said:

"*Β Two things to like about Joc Pederson, who is drawing interest from the White Sox and possibly the Braves and others: His strikeout rate has dropped for four consecutive seasons, from 29.1 percent to 27.3 to 21.1 to 19.2. He also crushes right-handed pitching: .893 OPS with 24 homers in 386 plate appearances last season, .842 OPS for his career."

Yup, about all the article includes about Joc.Β  90% of it is about Gray.

Looking at their roster,Β I can definitely see the Dodgers being interested in something built around Bummer & Fulmer. Β Young, cheap,Β controllable, bullpen arms with options make perfect sense for them. Β Bummer can help right away (or serve as depth) and Fulmer is a former 1st rounder who could potentially take a major step forward with a change of scenery. Β Maybe they see something in him that a little AAA time can fix...god knows we didn’t do him any favors with his development.

Whether that’s enough orΒ someone could (orΒ would)Β beat that I don’t know. Β But I’m not sure the Dodgers really want to send Joc to the Braves or another potential playoff opponent. Β Regardless, the Dodgers will have to move a pretty decent player if they want to add Pollock. Β Maybe we get somehow get lucky and we can snag JocΒ on the cheap.

2 minutes ago, soxfan2014 said:

Sign me up for Joc. Sox are going to need to clear 40-man space for Machado anyways, so they might as well try to package 2 guys and upgrade an area if need.Β They should have a good idea for some of the guys currently on the roster that don’t fit or are expendable. If he can be had for guys like Bummer and Fulmer, itΒ makesΒ sense because neitherΒ guy seems to have a place or beΒ in the Sox long term plans.

I’m not really concerned about optimal team construction this year. It puts some guys in tough positions without a platoon but overall that could be beneficial. We are still in talent acquisition mode another year so no reason to worry imo.

1 minute ago, bmags said:

I’m not really concerned about optimal team construction this year. It puts some guys in tough positions without a platoon but overall that could be beneficial. We are still in talent acquisition mode another year so no reason to worry imo.

Realistically, Pederson could be a bridge to prospects like Robert/Gonzalez/Basabe/etc. in center field, or could be a longer term option if acquired.Β 

If the cost is reasonable this is a move we should make

1 minute ago, bmags said:

Palka is out of options correct? The only reason why I mentioned that Pederson and Jay can both play CF is that they could carryΒ Palka on the bench. So you can probably go with a McCann, Sanchez, Rondon, Palka bench.

1 minute ago, soxfan2014 said:

Palka is out of options correct? The only reason why I mentioned that Pederson and Jay can both play CF is that they could carryΒ Palka on the bench. So you can probably go with a McCann, Sanchez, Rondon, Palka bench.

This is what I would go with too.Β 

3 minutes ago, soxfan2014 said:

If the Sox sign Machado and trade for Pederson, what does the bench look like? McCann and Sanchez for sure. But with Jay, Alonso, Pederson you may need a righty offset. Maybe that guy is Rondon? And you wouldn't necessarily need Engel on the roster having Jay and Pederson capable of playing CF.

Pederson & Alonso definitelyΒ need platoon partners. Β Jay historically has been playableΒ against LHP. Β With a four man bench, it’s going be hard to carry more than two platoon partners anyways. Β 

Based on our current roster,Β Engel & Rondon would seem toΒ be the best two guys for those roles. Β Not sure if we can even keep them both on the roster with Sanchez guaranteed a spotΒ and Leury still in the mix.

Quick thoughts:

Joc Pederson would be an upgrade and a perfect mid-level player with a short term contract, and ability to possibly over-perform. He's a perfect bridge type player. If a Tilson, Cordell, Engel, or Palka performed as well as he has, does, and will we would be very happy. I mean... Palka did and look at the love fest surrounding him. As I've stated before none of these guys are part of the future... Palka included. Pederson included. This is a two year fix until we hopefully get one or two of our younger OF's up. Pederson gives us a better chance to field a competitive team in 2019 and 2020. He has a similar profile to Palka, just higher upside and can play the field better. Simple as that.

Sox fans need to really start separating themselves from some of these players.. Palka, Yolmer, Leury are not your keys to success. As I've stated many times before try fitting those guys on the Yankees, Astros, Red Sox... Yolmer is about the only one that could have a future with this team. The rest won't sniff any Sox team that has a true chance at the WS.

• Like 3

21 minutes ago, soxfan2014 said:

Palka is NOT out of options.

• Like 1

I'd rather keep Garcia over Palka due to his versatility if the Sox acquire both Pederson and Machado. Send PalkaΒ to AAA when Eloy is promoted unless he's tearing the cover off the ball (and if he is you find a trade partner for Garcia or Rondon or DFA not a big deal either way). Nicky and Engel are definitely the odd men out in that scenario.

54 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Looking at their roster,Β I can definitely see the Dodgers being interested in something built around Bummer & Fulmer. Β Young, cheap,Β controllable, bullpen arms with options make perfect sense for them. Β Bummer can help right away (or serve as depth) and Fulmer is a former 1st rounder who could potentially take a major step forward with a change of scenery. Β Maybe they see something in him that a little AAA time can fix...god knows we didn’t do him any favors with his development.

Whether that’s enough orΒ someone could (orΒ would)Β beat that I don’t know. Β But I’m not sure the Dodgers really want to send Joc to the Braves or another potential playoff opponent. Β Regardless, the Dodgers will have to move a pretty decent player if they want to add Pollock. Β Maybe we get somehow get lucky and we can snag JocΒ on the cheap.

I think the Dodgers could do a lot better than a run of the mill lefty reliever, and a guy who has done nothing but struggle since he turned professional for Pederson. I could understand them taking that return if the Sox were taking Hill off their hands, but no way if bad money isn’t included. I would think either Hahn has to give up a guy like Basabe or Bush, or Joc won’t be playing for the White Sox.

4 minutes ago, Mooseman said:

If I had to guess this all depends on MAchado. If Manny signed with the Sox today things would progress quick with a Pederson trade. Something like:

Sox get- Pederson

Dodgers get- Marte, Bummer and Fulmer

Pirates get- Bush, +

That deal is terrible lopsided in favor of the Dodgers and makes zero sense for the Pirates. Β Bryce Bush is not a centerpiece for anyone of significance.

If used right in a limited reserve role, a slash line of 275/315/425 is completely realistic for L Garcia. Combined with passable defense at a number of positions makes him a nice piece to have when you are already carrying two 1B/DH in Abreu and Alonso. Palka is redundant. If they can hide him in AAA for much of 2019 and then reassess the 1B/DH role next winter when both Abreu and Alonso are potentially free agents, that would be the best course imo. Again, this is assuming the Sox acquire Pederson and Machado and need to clear spaceΒ on the MLB roster.

49 minutes ago, soxfan2014 said:

If the Sox sign Machado and trade for Pederson, what does the bench look like? McCann and Sanchez for sure. But with Jay, Alonso, Pederson you may need a righty offset. Maybe that guy is Rondon? And you wouldn't necessarily need Engel on the roster having Jay and Pederson capable of playing CF.

I think having jay/pederson in center is exactly why you want to carry Engel also. I’d guess the bench would be Leury, Sanchez, McCann, Engel

Edited by mqr

One last thought ... Delmonico, Palka, Engel, etc. all got their shot last year NOT because of their amazing play in the minors, rather the Sox tank plan. They wouldn't have proably sniffed the MLB on most other teams. These aren't necessarily major league players, rather AAA/AAAA players that were given a good opportunity. The only one that really did anything with it was Palka. Engel showed off his top notch defensive skills whichΒ affords him another shot as well. But in no way did any of these guys show anything that should prevent the Sox from going out and acquiring players. The chances of Engel figuring it out to where he's a .250-260 hitter are slim. The chances of where Palka can be more selective, walk more, strikeout less, and still barrel up the ball are slim. You gave these guys a shot and we saw what happened. They are more than welcome to go back to Charlotte and tear the cover off the ball down there to get another look over these next few transition years. I'd love for one of Nicky, Engel or Palka to force the Sox hand and play them over a Jay or Pederson, but if we want to be a competitive MLB team, that means those guys are going to have to EARN their spot, not be just given it.

2 minutes ago, BrianAnderson said:

One last thought ... Delmonico, Palka, Engel, etc. all got their shot last year NOT because of their amazing play in the minors, rather the Sox tank plan. They wouldn't have proably sniffed the MLB on most other teams. These aren't necessarily major league players, rather AAA/AAAA players that were given a good opportunity. The only one that really did anything with it was Palka. Engel showed off his top notch defensive skills whichΒ affords him another shot as well. But in no way did any of these guys show anything that should prevent the Sox from going out and acquiring players. The chances of Engel figuring it out to where he's a .250-260 hitter are slim. The chances of where Palka can be more selective, walk more, strikeout less, and still barrel up the ball are slim. You gave these guys a shot and we saw what happened. They are more than welcome to go back to Charlotte and tear the cover off the ball down there to get another look over these next few transition years. I'd love for one of Nicky, Engel or Palka to force the Sox hand and play them over a Jay or Pederson, but if we want to be a competitive MLB team, that means those guys are going to have to EARN their spot, not be just given it.

Palka's minor league numbers are actually pretty solid. He had that injury-shortened 2017 that kinda hurt him from getting a shot sooner.

• Heads22 changed the title to JocTalk.com - Waiting......