Joc Pederson: πŸ’€πŸ’€β€‹β€‹β€‹β€‹β€‹β€‹β€‹πŸ’€β€‹β€‹β€‹β€‹β€‹β€‹β€‹β€‹β€‹β€‹β€‹β€‹β€‹β€‹

NCsoxfan

3 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

When the Astros have 10 more players than the White Sox with 1 WAR, there's 2 problems - the White Sox don't have enough players better than Palka or Gattis and they also don't have enough players who are comparable to those.

So here's your question then - hypothetically speaking let's say we had to trade Bummer and Fulmer for Pederson and that removed Palka from the lineup. That gives us 1 extra player who had >2 WAR, but it could very well remove two ~1 WAR players - Bummer put up 0.7 last year and Palka put up 0.5, both of them in incomplete seasons with time in the minors. So yes you get better at the top, but you also have less depth.Β 

I was going to say, comparing the White Sox and the Astros rosters isn't the bets way to gauge our own players.

1 minute ago, Balta1701 said:

Alonso at the DH spot is a clear downgrade from Palka with the bat last year.

Lol. I like Daniel Palka. To think that he’ll be a better player than Yonder Alonso next season is silly. He has an option left and can easily spend next season in Charlotte. You’re complianing for the sake of complaining (shocking).Β 

57 minutes ago, mqr said:

Nobody that is going to important to this window is going to go anywhere. Get players who can actually play baseball.Β 

Even if this is true (that no one important is going anywhere) you are taking away opportunity that could be given to a player with control remaining.Β  And this isn't just about Joc.Β  I am looking at this offseason on a whole.Β  6+ players incoming that will be regular contributers on the big league roster, none with any control past 2020.Β Β 

Just now, ChiSox59 said:

Lol. I like Daniel Palka. To think that he’ll be a better player than Yonder Alonso next season is silly. He has an option left and can easily spend next season in Charlotte. You’re complianing for the sake of complaining (shocking).Β 

Pick your stat. OPS - .739 to .778. OPS+ - 97 vs 111. wRC+ 97 to 109. Daniel Palka was clearly a better hitter than Yonder Alonso last year.

• Like 1

Yeah Palka can play LF 2-3 weeks, go to the minors, and I'm sure he'll be back at some point between when Eloy comes up and September. Injuries happen during the season so he should be back up throughout the year. Especially since Abreu looks like a guy who needs a couple 10-day dl stints throughout the year to stay healthy.

Edited by soxfan2014

4 minutes ago, soxfan2014 said:

I was going to say, comparing the White Sox and the Astros rosters isn't the bets way to gauge our own players.

True, but the point of that exercise is really to prove that a certain amount of the fan base is entirely too worried over how trading for Joc Pederson affects Palka, Engel and Leury.

The answer is it really doesn't matter because those guys aren't really the type of players that should or will be on a true White Sox contending team. And if you do have players like that on an eventual championship contender their names will be Rutherford, Basabe, etc. not 30 year old Leury, Palka or Yolmer, or Engel. (Yolmer maybe.... maybe... I have a soft spot for him)

6 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

Palka is not a better baseball player than Jon Jay.Β 

At this point in their careers, I think Palka is the better player. Jay is superior in terms of baserunning and defense, but Palka is a much betterΒ hitter and significantly younger. He definitely needs to improve with the glove but that can happen with time. Jay wouldn't even be on this team if it wasn't for Machado.

Just now, Whitesox27 said:

At this point in their careers, I think Palka is the better player. Jay is superior in terms of baserunning and defense, but Palka is a much betterΒ hitter and significantly younger. He definitely needs to improve with the glove but that can happen with time. Jay wouldn't even be on this team if it wasn't for Machado.

I think sometimes posters put way too much stock in one season. Jon Jay has been at this on GOOD teams for almost a decade. He's fought off the Palka's and Engels and other prospects every single year. He continues to find playing time on teams... and continues to play roles on contending teams.. Cubs, Cards, Diamondbacks last year, etc.

I get you're saying at this point in their careers. Also it's tough to compare the two as one is a home run guy and the other is a guy who can play all 3 OF positions and hasΒ a very, very strong track record of getting on base. The sox need less home run/strikeout/low OBP guys and more guys that can set the table for Abreu, Eloy and hopefully Machado.

Having a guy like Jay get on base in front of those guys is entirely more valuable than Palka swinging for the fencesΒ  out of the 6 hole.

• Haha 1

22 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

When the Astros have 10 more players than the White Sox with 1 WAR, there's 2 problems - the White Sox don't have enough players better than Palka or Gattis and they also don't have enough players who are comparable to those.

So here's your question then - hypothetically speaking let's say we had to trade Bummer and Fulmer for Pederson and that removed Palka from the lineup. That gives us 1 extra player who had >2 WAR, but it could very well remove two ~1 WAR players - Bummer put up 0.7 last year and Palka put up 0.5, both of them in incomplete seasons with time in the minors. So yes you get better at the top, but you also have less depth.Β 

Huh? Β They had TWENTY-TWO guys last year that were between 0 and 1. Β You want more?!?

EDIT: Just realized you may have meant more players with over 1 WAR. Β Totally agree on that. Β Sorry if I misunderstood.

(Also, I used bWAR for my numbers because that's what you originally used. Β You can't switch toΒ fWAR now for Bummer because the numbers look better. Β Bummer was -.1 bWAR)

That said, just my opinion, yes, I would take oneΒ 2.3 WAR guy over a -.1Β and .5 and day. Β By the very nature of using WAR, the -.1 and .5 guys are much easier to replace, and should actually be somewhat easy to improve on. Β But that's just my opinion, others may think otherwise.

Edited by RTC

4 minutes ago, Jose Abreu said:

Soxtalk: Palka is cool and all, but I’m tired of one dimensional guys with sub-.300 OBPs.

White Sox: *acquire an outfielder whose bread and butter is OBP*

Soxtalk: Daniel Palka is better!Β 

Let's alsoΒ just continue to ignore that he can't play in field at all.Β  He makes Schwarber look like Clemente with a glove.

Edited by bschmaranz

10 minutes ago, GREEDY said:

Even if this is true (that no one important is going anywhere) you are taking away opportunity that could be given to a player with control remaining.Β  And this isn't just about Joc.Β  I am looking at this offseason on a whole.Β  6+ players incoming that will be regular contributers on the big league roster, none with any control past 2020.Β Β ο»Ώ

And mostΒ were acquired to appeal to Machado. They aren't even meant to be stop gaps, or win games. They have one purpose

4 hours ago, FT35 said:

I'd much rather have Marte.Β  How about a 3-way where Sox get Marte, Pirates get Pederson and LA gets better in other areas?Β  Plus...Marte WAS in one of those photos with Machado........

It could be a 3 way . Everyone should know Marte played on that 2015 DR with Manny, I mentioned Marte as a possible trade candidate to the Sox early in the Manny process maybe the 1st thread.

51 minutes ago, bschmaranz said:

Let's alsoΒ just continue to ignore that he can't play in field at all.Β  He makes Schwarber look like Clemente with a glove.

That's true.Β  But he is a perfect DH.Β  Which is why without Manny, I would love to see Alosno just get moved again.Β  I'd rather see those ABs go to Palka.Β  Find him a RH platoon mate maybe.Β Β 

There were only 25 players in the MLB that hit 30HRs last year.Β  I have no doubt that Palka could do that this season.Β  Did you further know, that Palka, in only 4 more ABs, hit the same amount of HRs and RBI (exact same) as Aaron Judge?Β  Not saying he is Judge, but the power is obviously real.

Or this maybe, as a 26 year old, Palka hit is 27 HR and 67 RBI with .240/.294/.484

As a 26 year old, Khris Davis hit 22 HRs,Β  69 RBI with a .244/.299/.457.Β  Then as a 27 year old, he had a decent improvement in his BBs.Β  Then the next season his power exploded and he became a 40 HR guy.Β  I wouldn't be terribly surprised if Palka followed a Khris Davis developmental path.Β Β 

1 hour ago, Jose Abreu said:

Soxtalk: Palka is cool and all, but I’m tired of one dimensional guys with sub-.300 OBPs.

White Sox: *acquire an outfielder whose bread and butter is OBP*

Soxtalk: Daniel Palka is better!Β 

Yeah.Β  I know Pederson isn't a sexy addition, but he's better than what we have currently to fill the outfield.Β  He's a good filler until Robert and others are ready.

16 hours ago, Balta1701 said:

Bryce Bush was not a "33rd round pick" based on his value going into the draft. Had people actually thought there was a good chance he would sign, he would have been a much higher pick. People didn't think he'd sign so he fell until the point where teams were using draft picks on guys who were very unlikely to sign.

This isn't true. He made it clear to teams that he would sign. Most scouting directors didn't see him in person because he played in Michigan. Multiple area scouts loved him and wanted him but couldn't get blessing to use over-slot resources due to lack of live looks at him. It's all in the interview I did with him.Β 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Balta1701 said:

Pick your stat. OPS - .739 to .778. OPS+ - 97 vs 111. wRC+ 97 to 109. Daniel Palka was clearly a better hitter than Yonder Alonso last year.

Β Both Jay and Alonso have been high OBP players for the majority of their career. Neither has great 2018s, but both are legit Major League Baseball players on fairly paid contracts. Again; I like Palka, and if he were out of options my opinion would be different - but he couldn’t even crack .300 OBP last season. This team badly needs guys who can get on base. Β PalkaΒ Also provides zero defense of value. Β I just don’t understand the fuss. Having depth is very valuable.

• Heads22 changed the title to JocTalk.com - Waiting......