Joc Pederson: πŸ’€πŸ’€β€‹β€‹β€‹β€‹β€‹β€‹β€‹πŸ’€β€‹β€‹β€‹β€‹β€‹β€‹β€‹β€‹β€‹β€‹β€‹β€‹β€‹β€‹

NCsoxfan

4 minutes ago, raBBit said:

Sox are not talking about acquiring Rich HIll.Β 

I think Hill is a great pitcher and fits the team well but he makes $19M and usually misses several starts. JR is going to surprise some people with his spending but acquiring Dick Mountain to pay him $1M a start in a year that's likely a transition year doesn't seem to be the type of a move a shrewd but conservative owner would get behind.Β Β 

Makes sense.Β  I think most are just spitballing moves that make some sense for both clubs.Β  Taking on Hill would obviously lower the prospect capital needed to acquire Joc, and the Sox do need another SP and still have plenty of payroll space for a spendy 1 year of Hill, afterall.

But I also totally understand the Sox not wanting to commit $18M on one year of Rich Hill in what is likely a .500ish season even with Machado, Pederson and Hill on the roster.Β Β 

9 minutes ago, raBBit said:

I think Hill is a great pitcher and fits the team well but he makes $19M and usually misses several starts. JR is going to surprise some people with his spending but acquiring Dick Mountain to pay him $1M a start in a year that's likely a transition year doesn't seem to be the type of a move a shrewd but conservative owner would get behind.Β Β 

This Joc deal still have legs though?Β Β 

10 minutes ago, raBBit said:

"Reinsdorf is going to surprise people with his spending".. Can you please elaborate?Β  I'll mail you cookies

36 minutes ago, raBBit said:

If you're getting a player in Pederson that has potential value of like $50-60m over two years for a pricetag of something like $15m, there are a number of ways to pay that acquisition price.Β 

The considerations that go into that decision include what their plans are for signing FAs, who the Dodgers would like in return, what the current needs of the team are, etc.Β 

Taking Hill back could absolutely make sense if it allowed them to keep a particular prospect they didn’t want to part with, especially since they have a need for SP this year.Β 

I personally don’t believe Hill is involved, but I don’t think it’s something that can be ruled out from a logic perspective.Β 

Just depends on whether they prefer spending prospect capital or actual capital at this stage.

Again, the entire reason that Rich Hill is getting mentioned is because the original tweets which started this conversation mentioned him.Β  The tweeter came back a day later and said that Hill was not going to be moved in this deal, it happened.

Now back to original scheduled outrage machine.

I also wouldn't be opposed to trading Hansen. The guy has had multiple years now where he has completely lost the thread and becomes unusable. Even if he recovers this year it will hang over him that he might come back from spring training with no idea how to pitch.

1 minute ago, bmags said:

I also wouldn't be opposed to trading Hansen. The guy has had multiple years now where he has completely lost the thread and becomes unusable. Even if he recovers this year it will hang over him that he might come back from spring training with no idea how to pitch.

Multiple years? Β Wasn't it just last season?

2 minutes ago, mqr said:

If you count his last year in college it's been multiple

Eh, I think that's pretty tough holding that against him. Β He has been arrow up for the Sox and the only thing that held him back was injury last season. Β I wouldn't call that losing the thread

1 hour ago, BrianAnderson said:

Anybody want to bet me they don't trade Rich Hill then? Send me a PM and we'll set up a gentleman's agreement and a PayPal exchange. $10. Keep it low value. You don't trade one of your most dangerous playoff shutdown pitchers when you're coming off back to back WS runs. Especially when the only available difference maker at the trade deadline is Bumgarner and on one of your rivals. You trade Puig's, Kemps of the world because they are relatively easy to replace. You trade away Homer Bailey, take on some of his salary and attach a prospect. you don't subtract from your current roster when you can't actively replace that position of need without spending more.

Any interest in a ban bet?

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, ChiSox59 said:

This Joc deal still have legs though?Β Β 

It might have legs but Joc does not. For anyone thinking Joc would play CF regularlyΒ  they should probably think again. According to Statcast Sprint speeds Joc clocks in at 26.3 ft/sec. . That is the same speed as Manny Machado and .01 higher than Matt Kemp. For comparisons Engle 30.1. Moncada 28.8, Tim Anderson 28.7 . Here's the real surprise, Avi at 29.0. How many wanted to see Avi in CF ?Β  John Jay is even slower now than Pederson at 26.0 ft/second. These stats are from 2018.

2017 Jay was 26.4 so he lost .40 from 2017 to 2018 2017 Pederson was 26.5 so he lost .20 from last year.

Engle is as fast as Billy Hamilton. Only Byron Buxton, Roman Quinn and Magneuris Sierra are slightly faster than Engel. They all play CF.

3 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

It might have legs but Joc does not. For anyone thinking Joc would play CF regularlyΒ  they should probably think again. According to Statcast Sprint speeds Joc clocks in at 26.3 ft/sec. . That is the same speed as Manny Machado and .01 higher than Matt Kemp. For comparisons Engle 30.1. Moncada 28.8, Tim Anderson 28.7 . Here's the real surprise, Avi at 29.0. How many wanted to see Avi in CF ?Β  John Jay is even slower now than Pederson at 26.0 ft/second. These stats are from 2018.

2017 Jay was 26.4 so he lost .40 from 2017 to 2018 2017 Pederson was 26.5 so he lost .20 from last year.

Engle is as fast as Billy Hamilton. Only Byron Buxton, Roman Quinn and Magneuris Sierra are slightly faster than Engel. They all play CF.

Nice segue.

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, hi8is said:

Fulmer was filthy in college before we tinkered his motion to hell and back.Β 

( I understand his delivery was violent and there was injury concern - but boy, was he a completely different pitcher in college. )

They had to fix the delivery (why draft a player whose delivery you have to fix is another question).
Stopping work on the delivery was/is the mistake.

When Hahn trades some secondary vet or a salary dump for a "nothing" prospect and that prospect turns out to be top 5, then he can get a break on Tatis.Β  People can rightfully fear any prospect with upside thatΒ he trades will end up biting them...especially when he trades them for players not in the Sox competitive window.

Edited by GreenSox

33 minutes ago, Kyyle23 said:

Eh, I think that's pretty tough holding that against him. Β He has been arrow up for the Sox and the only thing that held him back was injury last season. Β I wouldn't call that losing the thread

2 out of the last 4 years (yes including college) he's been so bad he's been shut down or demoted. The sox have not gave information that he was still hurt when he returned.

10 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

Good point about Pederson in CF. If the Sox acquire Pederson I'm thinking it's to put him in RF with Cordell or Leury as potential platoon partners. That leaves Engel/Jay platoon in CF. As long as Jay can still get good jumps he should be fine playing CF in a platoon role.

• Heads22 changed the title to JocTalk.com - Waiting......