Joc Pederson: 💤💤​​​​​​​💤​​​​​​​​​​​​​​

NCsoxfan

So I got bored and made a platooned roster

RHP                                                                                                                                               LHP

C - Castillo                                                                                                                                    C - McCann

1B - Abreu                                                                                                                                    1B - Abreu

2B - Moncada                                                                                                                              2B - Moncada

3B - Machado                                                                                                                              3B - Machado

SS - Anderson                                                                                                                              SS - Anderson

LF- Eloy                                                                                                                                         LF - Eloy

CF - Pederson                                                                                                                             CF - Jon Jay

RF - Palka                                                                                                                                     RF - Valencia

DH - Alonso                                                                                                                                 DH - Castillo

Bench - Jon Jay, McCann, Valencia, Yolmer                                                                           Bench - Yolmer, Alonso, Palka, Pederson

2 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

Faster than Pederson and that was before he lost weight. Abreu and Kevin Smith are faster.

But it’s still hard to measure who gets the best reads or best initial jumps and takes the best routes.

How many balls did Pederson field that less than 50% of CFers would be expected to make that play?  That would be more interesting to me rather than just flat out sprint speed.

5 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

He would be better if he was faster. Maybe his reads and jumps are good Idk , you don't know. I still don't see anything telling me how my arguments are flawed . Give me facts . I did so can you. He cannot be rated as an even average CF without foot speed. He is SLOW not just slow for an OF'er. The Dodgers played him mostly in LF and saw the need to put their slick fielding 1st baseman in CF over Pederson. What's the argument for Pederson in CF . Is this all some kind of wishful thinking trying to fit a square peg in a round hole to justify his acquisition ? I got noproblem playing him in a corner . But no way do you have an OF of Eloy , Pederson and whoever in right field regurarly. Doesn't anyone care about supporting our young pitchers ? Whatever happened to being strong up the middle as a foundation of good defense ?

I don't doubt that his fielding could improve if he were faster. All I'm saying is sprint speed isn't all that goes into fielding your position. Just like sprint speed isn't the only thing that goes into stealing bases. I agree that Pederson is a better fielder in the corners. I'm sure that's the case for all outfielders.  

3 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

But it’s still hard to measure who gets the best reads or best initial jumps and takes the best routes.

How many balls did Pederson field that less than 50% of CFers would be expected to make that play?  That would be more interesting to me rather than just flat out sprint speed.

I agree with this. 

6 minutes ago, soxfan2014 said:

Nice signing for them. Perfect guy to hit in the 2-hole.

Oh yeah, it was a no brainer on both ends.  He came cheapish which obv helps Atlanta, but he was so good there last season, I'm sure that played a huge role in him settling for less than he had anticipated.

13 minutes ago, soxfan2014 said:

Davidson also did good against lefties last year. He honestly fits this roster better than a few guys currently on the roster (Delmonico and Leury mostly).

I disagree. What position does he even play? 

Davidson had no role on this team.

Delmonico has a role for three weeks as Eloy's stand in.

Leury has use as the 24th/25th guy on the roster. 

2 hours ago, caulfield12 said:

Yes it is and I acknowledged that point. All one has to do is look at the best CF'ers and look at how their speed relates to it. This is not rocket science. Mickey Mantle, Paul Blair WIllie Mays . Trout, Buxton ,Engel, Kiermaier and on and on. Do we really want the slowest OF in baseball regardless of jumps and reads when we are trying to instill confidence in our young pitchers ? The ERA's and FIP's are going to take a beating with an OF with Eloy, Pederson and whoever out there. This is not  even debatable. I'm surprised because of the urgency in some posters to get Engel out of CF how willing we are to accept a terrible OF defense with a guy who won't even be here in 3 years at the expense of our pitching staff. The pitchers are the key to the rebuild not Joc Pederson in CF.

Edited by CaliSoxFanViaSWside

6 minutes ago, raBBit said:

I disagree. What position does he even play? 

Davidson had no role on this team.

Delmonico has a role for three weeks as Eloy's stand in.

Leury has use as the 24th/25th guy on the roster. 

If Joc is added in the coming days, thinking Nicky starts in AAA and Palka is the 3 week stand in, that likely goes to AAA when Eloy arrives. 

First three weeks: LF: Jay; CF: Joc; RF: Palka; 4th OF: Engel

Rest of season: LF: Eloy; CF: Joc; RF: Jay; 4th OF: Engel

Engel probably sticks on the roster unless the Sox add a RH bat that can play all three OF positions.  Brandon Guyer is a dude who had torched LHP most of his career, but he was awful last season.  Maybe someone to look at for an milb deal with an invite to ST, though.  Not sure how he is defensively at this point.  There really are not any FAs left that can play a legitimate CF other than Pollock.  

Just now, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

Yes it is and I acknowledged that point. All one has to do is look at the best CF'ers and look at how their speed relates to it. This is not rocket science. Mickey Mantle, Paul Blair WIllie Mays . Trout, Buxton ,Engel, Kiermaier and on and on. Do we really want the slowest OF in baseball regardless of jumps and reads when we are trying to instill confidence in our young pitchers ? The ERA's and FIP's are going to take a beating with an OF with Eloy, Pederson and whoever out there. This is not an even debatable. I'm surprised because of the urgency in some posters to get Engel out of CF how willing we are to accept a terrible OF defense with a guy who won't even be here in years at the expense of our pitching staff. The pitchers are the key to the rebuild not Joc Perderson in CF.

We could easily have signed Hamilton, though...

Correlation between speed and defensive prowess exists, but Joc Pederson is an average to good defensive center fielder. More speed would make him better but he isn’t bad. And honestly, given that Engel has a noodle arm, he might be more effective in our home outfield than Engel. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Whitesox27 said:

I honestly had no idea Danny Valencia was still in the league. But he actually is a perfect fit for this team and adding another one of Machado's friends can't hurt.  

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Yeah I looked at his stats figuring he had to have declined but nope. Still hits lefties.

4 minutes ago, Whitesox27 said:

I honestly had no idea Danny Valencia was still in the league. But he actually is a perfect fit for this team and adding another one of Machado's friends can't hurt.  

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Valencia does still torch LHP - .295/.371/.496 slash his last three seasons.  Not really an OF, but did play 17 games in RF last season.  

Edited by ChiSox59

5 minutes ago, Kyyle23 said:

😢

Well, since we currently have a month-long school holiday for Spring Festival, I’m pretty sure I can manage my own sleep schedule...you’ll be happy, though, to get a break when we travel to Guangzhou and the Philippines, so that’s probably when all these signings go down, Feb 4-17.

• Heads22 changed the title to JocTalk.com - Waiting......