Joc Pederson: πŸ’€πŸ’€β€‹β€‹β€‹β€‹β€‹β€‹β€‹πŸ’€β€‹β€‹β€‹β€‹β€‹β€‹β€‹β€‹β€‹β€‹β€‹β€‹β€‹β€‹

NCsoxfan

29 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

Dodgers Stadium at night the ball doesn't carry very well. Hopefully, several of those flyouts find their way to the first or second row at GRF.

In recent memory, is there a hitter the Sox have acquired who has actually seen an increase in offensive numbers due to the ballpark?Β  I feel like we always hear, "wait until he gets to hit at the Cell", and then nothing changes.Β Β 

4 minutes ago, 103 mph screwball said:

Β 

I agree with this.Β  I see the point of batting average being less important than OBP.Β  However, there are limits.Β  Would you want someone with a .350 OBP and a .228 average or would you want a player with a .350 OBP and a .310 average?Β Β  Walks do not score a runner from second base.Β Β  Pederson has low strike outs though.Β  That to me is a major plus.Β  A ground out can advance a runner.Β  A strike out doesn't (usually).Β Β  I think those of us that hate low averages are traumatized by Adam Dunn era.Β Β If that makes me a cave man, I'm ok with that.

The bolded part is important to me and is why I do like wOBA (weighted on-base average) quite a bit. wOBA values singles better than walks, doubles better than singles, etc. for this very reason.

Edited by aryzner

4 minutes ago, 103 mph screwball said:

Β 

I agree with this.Β  I see the point of batting average being less important than OBP.Β  However, there are limits.Β  Would you want someone with a .350 OBP and a .228 average or would you want a player with a .350 OBP and a .310 average?Β Β  Walks do not score a runner from second base.Β Β  Pederson has low strike outs though.Β  That to me is a major plus.Β  A ground out can advance a runner.Β  A strike out doesn't (usually).Β Β  I think those of us that hate low averages are traumatized by Adam Dunn era.Β Β If that makes me a cave man, I'm ok with that.

Pederson hit .245 + in his age 24 and 26 seasons, and had a lingering neck injury and concussion in 2017. His shortened age 22 and age 23 season had low averages and high Ks, but good OBP and decent power.

He has progressed to cut his k rate substantially. I think focusing excessively on his BA is misguided.

• Thanks 1

36 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

Dodgers Stadium at night the ball doesn't carry very well. Hopefully, several of those flyouts find their way to the first or second row at GRF.

Over the last 3 seasons, he has actually hit better at home, including more home runs, per plate appearance.

8 minutes ago, LittleHurt05 said:

In recent memory, is there a hitter the Sox have acquired who has actually seen an increase in offensive numbers due to the ballpark?Β  I feel like we always hear, "wait until he gets to hit at the Cell", and then nothing changes.Β Β 

I don’t think it’s ever been noticeable. Biggest example was everyone thinking swisher would be way better here but nope.

11 minutes ago, LittleHurt05 said:

They usually get MUCH worse.. lolΒ  Thome is the last FA that I can think of that played really well lol

41 minutes ago, TomPickle said:

I honestly don't know because I haven't watched him play a lot, but his batted ball profile is not that different than Daniel Palka.

Line Drive/Ground Ball/Fly Ball
Pederson: 17% / 39.4% / 43.6%
Palka: 16.3 % / 45.8% / 37.9

Β  Β  Β 

Soft Contact/Medium/Hard
Pederson: 19.4% / 47.6% / 33.0%
Palka: 20.5% / 43.2% / 36.4%

BABIP
Pederson: .253
Palka: .308

Well, Palka strikes out about 35% of the time, that's a pretty big difference.

7 minutes ago, bmags said:

Pederson hit .245 + in his age 24 and 26 seasons, and had a lingering neck injury and concussion in 2017. His shortened age 22 and age 23 season had low averages and high Ks, but good OBP and decent power.

He has progressed to cut his k rate substantially. I think focusing excessively on his BA is misguided.

Great points.Β  I want to be clear that I want Pederson on the Sox.Β Β 

10 minutes ago, aryzner said:

The bolded part is important to me and is why I do like wOBA (weighted on-base average) quite a bit. wOBA values singles better than walks, doubles better than singles, etc. for this very reason.

wOBA is something I will have to look into.Β  I agree that this seems more useful than OBP.Β  Also, ROEs do not factor into OBP.Β  There is value to putting the ball in play.Β 

48 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

The problem is that alot of the advanced metrics are all-ready essentially crediting him with those home runs (negative park factors).Β Β 

Just now, TomPickle said:

Sure, but that doesn't really have anything to do with why someone's BABIP would be almost 50 points lower than the "expected" BABIP of .300.

Sure it does. Pederson puts the ball in play more often, and since he hits it in the air much more than the average player, he makes more outs.Β 

23 minutes ago, LittleHurt05 said:

They get steversend

24 minutes ago, LittleHurt05 said:

Yea,Β where areΒ the "big slugging lefty from the NL" concerns?

Edited by GREEDY

21 minutes ago, 103 mph screwball said:

Β 

Adam Dunn was always at the top of the league in strikeouts though. He also clearly didn't age well from ages 31 - 34 with the White Sox. It was literally the end of his career. Hindsight is always 20/20. But Joc is not Dunn.Β 

Regarding the .228 avg and .350 OBP vs the .310 avg and .350 OBP guy, you'd need more information to determine that. What's is his wRC+, RBI, HR, SLG... A host of different things could provide you with who you'd rather have.Β 

9 hours ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

Robert has more raw talent than anyone in the system. He has more raw talent than manny machado.Β 

Robert played as a 19 and 20 year old. He's young for his level and he impresses everyone who watches him. BP power matters when you're that young. He's younger than every top 10 prospect.

Bruh.

12 minutes ago, TomPickle said:

Sure, but that doesn't really have anything to do with why someone's BABIP would be almost 50 points lower than the "expected" BABIP of .300.

His baseball savant page is pretty weird. I'm not really sure why his ba is so low, his reduction in Ks has shown he barrels the ball less than before, but all of his expected production is basically in line.

He gets pitched to low and away a ton, and barrels the fewest balls there, yet has some of his highest BA zones there too. It's a weird profile someone batter at this than me may figure out.

https://baseballsavant.mlb.com/savant-player/joc-pederson-592626?stats=statcast-r-hitting-milb

2 hours ago, Lillian said:

Someone please explain how my dream "conspiracy" could still be true, in light of this sobering word, from "Balta". Is it really all that implausible? Is there a way that the deal could be solidified, and still not have it published? Would postponing a pending physical, until after the announcement, lock in the player, without having it become official?

Unless it was solidified, phsyicalled like yesterday, there's no chance. They're not going to announce something without a physical