Joc Pederson: πŸ’€πŸ’€β€‹β€‹β€‹β€‹β€‹β€‹β€‹πŸ’€β€‹β€‹β€‹β€‹β€‹β€‹β€‹β€‹β€‹β€‹β€‹β€‹β€‹β€‹

NCsoxfan

45 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

Β 

Β 

But how much value does he have for the Sox and how much value are we giving the Dodgers ? It's not just player value we have to consider , it's situational value.

Dodgers are trying to win a World Series in 2019 and beyond, trying to make roster space for Pollock or maybe even Harper. That is worth something. What are the Sox trying to accomplish in 2019 and 2020, the years of Pederson control ? That answer appears to be nothing special. Therefore we are doing them a great service and that value should diminish the value of anything we give up in return. The 2 years we have him will only diminish his value when he becomes a corner OF . Is it possible he starts hitting lefties better .Very doubtful. The Dodgers know all this going forward and that's why he is the most expendable of their OF's.

This is valid but the Sox can offer pederson ABs vs LHP that the dodgers can’t afford to do while competing. He likely will not improve against lHp, but he also could get even better vs righties. He’s young enough where this isn’t like trading for a 2 year contract for like a 31 year old player. He reasonably could turn into an asset himself, so it’s more productive than just plugging the hole for the next two years sake.

2 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

No way the starting pitcher is anywhere close to a competitive team in 2019. Terrible plan and not likely.

I don’t see why it’s such a bad idea, as they wouldn’t really be harming the overall rebuild. They still wouldn’t have brought in any long-term guys besides Manny in this hypothetical situation. Β The rest is just short-term payroll expenditures that won’t harm you down the road. Also by now I’m sure the Sox have an idea about what their chances are for Harper. They’re not that dumb where they would give the Dodgers more flexibility if they feel like they’re in direct competition for Bryce.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, bmags said:

This is valid but the Sox can offer pederson ABs vs LHP that the dodgers can’t afford to do while competing. He likely will not improve against lHp, but he also could get even better vs righties. He’s young enough where this isn’t like trading for a 2 year contract for like a 31 year old player. He reasonably could turn into an asset himself, so it’s more productive than just plugging the hole for the next two years sake.

I understand your point with Pederson as a hitter but honestly his stats aren't just bad against lefties they are putrid. He would have to improve a lot for them just to be bad. Adam Dunn but younger and decent in the OF but due to become a corner OF by the time we try to get any trade value for him when his time is up.

13 minutes ago, fathom said:

I don’t see why it’s such a bad idea, as they wouldn’t really be harming the overall rebuild. They still wouldn’t have brought in any long-term guys besides Manny in this hypothetical situation. Β The rest is just short-term payroll expenditures that won’t harm you down the road. Also by now I’m sure the Sox have an idea about what their chances are for Harper. They’re not that dumb where they would give the Dodgers more flexibility if they feel like they’re in direct competition for Bryce.

That's why I don't see it happening with us if Hill is involves, . Perderson alone maybe but the team won't contend with him unless many other positive things happen so he's not really needed for anything more than someone like Bummer and Leury/Rondon. That's top price I'd pay.

Getting rid of Pederson is a bigger priority to the Dodgers than us getting him.

Edited by CaliSoxFanViaSWside

22 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

That's why I don't see it happening with us if Hill is involves, . Perderson alone maybe but the team won't contend with him unless many other positive things happen so he's not really needed for anything more than someone like Bummer and Leury/Rondon. That's top price I'd pay.

Getting rid of Pederson is a bigger priority to the Dodgers than us getting him.

Agree, especially with the last sentence.
Maybe he has a high market price....it's just not a price that the Sox should pay in the position they are in.

Edited by GreenSox

2 minutes ago, fathom said:

More I think about it, the more I feel Sox will have to give up a decent amount if it’s just for Joc. Β A team like the Braves would be all over Joc if the price was low.

Agreed, he'd be a perfect fit for them.Β  But I guess if Hill is coming over or they're trying to dump something else, it would fill in that gap.

Edited by bschmaranz

1 hour ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

But he is right here. No prospects should be given up . If Dodgers truly are wanting Pollock and have to get rid of Hill and Pederson to do it any team that deals with them is doing them a favor. Hell they could turn round and then decide they want Harper and I certainly don't want to help them do that either.

Pederson isn't some salary dump, the guy can play. Β This isn't "declining vets"

2 minutes ago, fathom said:

More I think about it, the more I feel Sox will have to give up a decent amount if it’s just for Joc. Β A team like the Braves would be all over Joc if the price was low.

He's worth more to the Braves than us. Once Manny signs then maybe see what we could do . Not before then.

6 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

He's worth more to the Braves than us. Once Manny signs then maybe see what we could do . Not before then.

Braves are close to getting an outfielder though, so unless it’s Joc in the next few days, I doubt they would match up down the road.

• Heads22 changed the title to JocTalk.com - Waiting......