Joc Pederson: πŸ’€πŸ’€β€‹β€‹β€‹β€‹β€‹β€‹β€‹πŸ’€β€‹β€‹β€‹β€‹β€‹β€‹β€‹β€‹β€‹β€‹β€‹β€‹β€‹β€‹

NCsoxfan

Just now, southsider2k5 said:

That would be worse, not better.

I think if you try put yourself in a position where you think about what you'll think of certain prospects this time next year, something the Sox critically failed to do in the Shields trade, you find yourself becoming more open to dealing Basabe and less open to dealing Bush.

5 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

Let's not forget he's a 3 WAR OF from 2018. 2017 was quite different. I'd consider him a a 3 WAR OF'er if he had done it consistently but he hasn't. How often do we hear warnings about buying high ? Get him for next to nothing fine, otherwise let the contenders like the Braves who might truly need him overpay for him.

Not that it matters necessarily but Pederson reworked his swing last off-season with Matt Lisle FWIW.Β 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

It all depends on how long we think Frye’s health will hold together vs. Bummer’s long termΒ potential to get everything straightened out.

That’s fair, but Fry is another strong season away from being a poor man’sΒ Brad Hand and he just landed a top 25 prospect. Β Now is not the time to trade him IMO.

2 hours ago, soxfan49 said:

I'm not going to read 9 pages but all I'll say is I'd much rather see Palka get 130+ starts in RF/DH than Pederson.

That’s pretty rigorous analysis, lol. Β You take away Pederson’s bottom year and Harper’s peak season...they both could be $125-150 million players, especially if Pederson can hold down CF even better in a smaller OF.

Of course, he’s likely to have to cover a lot unless we start him along with Jay in RF instead of Palka. Β  We’ve currently got too many LH hitters now for the correct platoons, lol. Β 

Then Yolmer and Leury. Β 

Who knows, maybe the sum actuallyΒ becomes better than the individual parts for once a a decade competitive White Sox season that comes out of the blue?

6 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

Let's not forget he's a 3 WAR OF from 2018. 2017 was quite different. I'd consider him a a 3 WAR OF'er if he had done it consistently but he hasn't. How often do we hear warnings about buying high ? Get him for next to nothing fine, otherwise let the contenders like the Braves who might truly need him overpay for him.

Β His 2015 and 2016 were both really good also. Β He’s not a one-year wonder.

Just now, Chicago White Sox said:

That’s fair, but Fry is another strong season away from being a poor man’sΒ Brad Hand and he just landed a top 25 prospect. Β Now is not the time to trade him IMO.

But two TJ surgeries...nobody has bounced back from three, like ever. Β Maybe they can mitigate that in the pen, but he’s suddenly become a max velocity guy.

3 minutes ago, fathom said:

Β His 2015 and 2016 were both really good also. Β He’s not a one-year wonder.

I know but still it's buying high and switching leagues. Haven't had much luck with NL players coming here and it's only for 2 non contending years. I know you think differently on that as do others but when it takes like 6 different if's to contend I tend to think it won't happen. Get Manny and give me next year to decide on the direction. Pederson just doesn't move the arrow enough for the 2 years of control.

7 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

He’s had two TJS, I sell high on him all day. I also don’t really believe in development of relievers but that’s separate anyway.Β 

2 minutes ago, BlackSox13 said:

Why are some so quick to over-look Basabe... or am I seeing something that isn't there? He's easily my third favorite outfielder in the Sox system.

Probably because of his hit tool. But like most of our other high end prospects and those with high upside we need to not trade them.

12 minutes ago, KiwiSox said:

I think if you try put yourself in a position where you think about what you'll think of certain prospects this time next year, something the Sox critically failed to do in the Shields trade, you find yourself becoming more open to dealing Basabe and less open to dealing Bush.

No. I do not. Basabe is already a borderline top 100 5 tool player.Β  Bush is none of those things.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

I know but still it's buying high and switching leagues. Haven't had much luck with NL players coming here and it's only for 2 non contending years. I know you think differently on that as do others but when it takes like 6 different if's to contend I tend to think it won't happen. Get Manny and give me next year to decide on the direction. Pederson just doesn't move the arrow enough for the 2 years of control.

Eaton and Quentin say hello. Β Those literally are the two biggest success stories of the last decade...even Davidson finally became a contributor. Β Or we can only target the NL West, lol.

2 minutes ago, BlackSox13 said:

Why are some so quick to over-look Basabe... or am I seeing something that isn't there? He's easily my third favorite outfielder in the Sox system.

I agree, I have him as our 4th best OF prospect (right behind Micker) and 8th overall, but honestly it’s a toss-up between him & Adolfo. Β I love what he brings to the table, especially if he can play a solid CF. Β Also, while BA isn’t as high on him, FG gave him a 50 FV grade and had him 84th overall in their end of season rankings. Β I like Bryce Bush a lot, but a great outcome for him would be becoming a Basabe level prospect.

• Like 2

Just now, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

Probably because of his hit tool. But like most of our other high end prospects and those with high upside we need to not trade them.

His combo of speed and hit tool to go with his potential to draw walks and hit for power is worth hanging on to. Especially if he sticks in CF. Kid is still so young.

6 minutes ago, bmags said:

He’s had two TJS, I sell high on him all day. I also don’t really believe in development of relievers but that’s separate anyway.Β 

It’s not development with Fry, but lack of a track record. Β He was ranked 15th in K/9 & 10th in FIP amongst relievers with 50+ innings pitched. Β He does that again and his value will improve substantially.

3 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

Eaton and Quentin say hello. Β Those literally are the two biggest success stories of the last decade...even Davidson finally became a contributor. Β Or we can only target the NL West, lol.

If we are going to get picky I did say "haven't had much luck" which allows room for some success. Pederson is a much more established player than Eaton and Quentin were. 1000+ more PA's than either Eaton or Quentin had and 2 years older then when we got them. Target the D'backs we do good getting players from them like Eaton and Q.

2 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

Unless Bush can play a premium position like middle infield or CF, his value will always be tied to his bat.

Then it comes down to the usual for the Sox, sticking it out at third, we’ve already got Burger in that same minefield.

Wait, what?

Everyone is wanting to sign Machado to a mega deal to play 3B, the same position as Bush currently. How does your rational make any sense?Β 

How is our new trainer in handling BLISTERS? Just wondering because Rich Hill is mentioned as a possibility in this trade with the Sox taking on salary. If it is a salary take on, then I don't think we need to offer LA anything like a Bush, a Fulmer, or a lefty like Bummer. Just a lottery ticket in A ball. We would be doing LA a favor so Hahn should be in the driver's seat.

If all the above is true, then I think it would be a good use of money. We get a lefty power bat MUCH cheaper than Harper(let's face it, Sox are not going to tie up $600 million plus for Harper AND Machado). We also get a starter to maybe stabilize the rotation in Hill, if the blister issue is no longer. I think this is a trade the Sox do NOT have to make, but under the right conditions, it could be a decent approach to plugging some holes. Now, GO SIGN MACHADO!!!!

38 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

I agree, I have him as our 4th best OF prospect (right behind Micker) and 8th overall, but honestly it’s a toss-up between him & Adolfo. Β I love what he brings to the table, especially if he can play a solid CF. Β Also, while BA isn’t as high on him, FG gave him a 50 FV grade and had him 84th overall in their end of season rankings. Β I like Bryce Bush a lot, but a great outcome for him would be becoming a Basabe level prospect.

Sounds like you're seeing the same things in Basabe. Then there's Gonzalez who opened eyes last season too. After Jiminez, Robert, Basabe I could go with any one of Adolfo,Gonzalez,Rutherford as number four.

Edited by BlackSox13

• Heads22 changed the title to JocTalk.com - Waiting......