Joc Pederson: πŸ’€πŸ’€β€‹β€‹β€‹β€‹β€‹β€‹β€‹πŸ’€β€‹β€‹β€‹β€‹β€‹β€‹β€‹β€‹β€‹β€‹β€‹β€‹β€‹β€‹

NCsoxfan

41 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

If we’re really β€œgoing for it” what about trading for Greinke? Β At $30M+ per, he’d likely be a salary dump.

I've been all about this all offseason.

As for Joc, it is a move that makes no sense on its own.Β  As part of something bigger, yeah, that could make sense.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, GenericUserName said:

Hell, trade for Ben Zobrist. Report came out they are looking to trade him so they can have room for a middle reliever.Β 

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2019/01/cubs-have-considered-trading-ben-zobrist.html

Nothing this team needs like a 38 year old.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

23 minutes ago, Ross Gload Fan said:

Probably because it wasnt widespread news that Joc was available and now it is, so the Sox are in a hurry to get it done. Also, Pollock is probably waiting on LA.

I’m sure Dodgers let all teams know he’s available, especially one like Braves with their needs and resources.

Edited by fathom

2 hours ago, shipps said:

What would be the plan in regards to waiting? I am honestly asking where they would go with that in your opinion. You either wait for them to be bad or good. At that point when they are proven to be pretty good would you be okay with trading them for a proven ml player? The bad ones won’t matter because no one will want them at that point.Β 

Oh I'm definitely on board with trading any prospect when they have been given time to show more but most if not all the young OFer's are too far off to have established a higher value. Another one or 2 years and we will know. Those should be non contending years so there's really no hurry.

11 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

To me this is yet another signal the Sox think they are landing a whale.

It would be very much a White Sox move to declare that their team is way better than they are on paper and they only need a handful of minor upgrades to be "Right there at the end" (Rick Hahn, 2015)

2 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

It would be very much a White Sox move to declare that their team is way better than they are on paper and they only need a handful of minor upgrades to be "Right there at the end" (Rick Hahn, 2015)

Or, this is a way of trying to show Machado they are willing to move the timetable forward if he comes here, which is what about 80% of Soxtalk has spent the winter begging for because they can't handle the losing anymore.Β 

• Like 2

I'm wondering if this could be a clever move by the Sox. Trade away an excess LHP bullpen arm, trade away Fulmer and trade away a prospect who you would have to protect or expose to next year's free agent class. Net result, gain Joc Pederson, gain a 40 man roster slot and 1 less decision to be made December next year.Β 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

Or, this is a way of trying to show Machado they are willing to move the timetable forward if he comes here, which is what about 80% of Soxtalk has spent the winter begging for because they can't handle the losing anymore.Β 

No way rebuilders can be against this move, as long as we still get Machado or Harper.

Even without, there’s no need to run Engel out there 140 games...or watch more Dylan Covey starts. Β And oddsΒ are, Dylan will still get more opportunities, anyway.

Unless the White Sox view Bush as a sure fire 3B, and even then, it might not matter depending on the opt out.

6 minutes ago, glangon said:

I'm wondering if this could be a clever move by the Sox. Trade away an excess LHP bullpen arm, trade away Fulmer and trade away a prospect who you would have to protect or expose to next year's free agent class. Net result, gain Joc Pederson, gain a 40 man roster slot and 1 less decision to be made December next year.Β 

AND be able to grab Ian Clarkin back and stash him on the 40Β when the cubs try to pass him through again

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

8 minutes ago, glangon said:

I have difficulty with the concept of an "Excess LHP bullpen arm". If they're any good it's not like you're going to struggle to move them later if you need to.

12 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

To be fair to my fellow Soxtalkers the time was right and planned for to go after Machado or Harper. We can understand now why the results of the earlier trades in the rebuild were pitching heavy.Getting one does move the timeline forward but not by a lot and it would be a mistake to try to force it when the prospects will still be getting their feet wet or still establishing value in the minors.

10 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

No way rebuilders can be against this move, as long as we still get Machado or Harper.

Even without, there’s no need to run Engel out there 140 games...or watch more Dylan Covey starts. Β And oddsΒ are, Dylan will still get more opportunities, anyway.

Unless the White Sox view Bush as a sure fire 3B, and even then, it might not matter depending on the opt out.

Sure we can, because this move as you call it hasn't happened and it could be a terrible trade. Without Machado it's senseless even with him it's borderline meaningless depending on who the Sox give up. Still way way short in a lot of areas that can be addressed next year but probably not 2019. so then it's down to 1 year of Pederson to make an impact.

23 minutes ago, Jake said:

Would you do Abreu for Pederson straight up? Would they?

I have to imagine they would for sure. Their trying to win, and while I don't know their infield situation, I don't think they have a legit 1b / or they could easily make room meanwhile their Joc is the odd man out in the OF.

As for us, I don't think it makes sense.

1 hour ago, fathom said:

And why wouldn’t Braves be all over it if price was so low? Β If Sox get him, it will be for a much bigger price than most think on here IMO. Β 

I think this is true, unless braves don’t want hill.

2 minutes ago, iWiN4PreP said:

I have to imagine they would for sure. Their ο»Ώtrying to win, and while I don't know their infield situation, I don't think they have a legit 1b / or they could easily make room meanwhile their Joc is the odd man out in the OF.

As for us, I don't think it makes sense.

Their legit 1b last year were Max Muncy and Cody Bellinger. While yeah, they also played elsewhere, but Abreu's a huge downgrade from what they got at 1b last year. The Dodgers got a .899 OPS out of their 1b spot last year, 2nd best in baseball (only Arizona got better production from 1b). They might be willing to play Bellinger more often in the OF, but Muncy?

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, bmags said:

I think this is true, unless braves don’t want hill.

From the Dodgers perspective it's probably a lot easier to see these two guys go to the AL than a team that they may be facing in the playoffs next season. Not to say that the White Sox would be able to offer a lot less, but if the two offers would be close enough then the White Sox would likely win out. This is even more true if Rich Hill is involved in the deal.

26 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

Sure we can, because this move as you call it hasn't happened and it could be a terrible trade. Without Machado it's senseless even with him it's borderline meaningless depending on who the Sox give up. Still way way short in a lot of areas that can be addressed next year but probably not 2019. so then it's down to 1 year of Pederson to make an impact.

When can they get 3 WAR CFer for such a low price point, though? Β Three years would be better, but then you’re probably blocking Robert or one of the other outfield prospects. Β It seems a much easier route to get to 80 wins than to jump twenty at one time, especially with Kopech coming off surgery in 2020.

Having a veteran lefty in the rotation for one year to be around the youngsters could be equally valuable. Adding payroll just for 2019 doesn’t really matter, in the overall scheme of things.

And would love to know if this suggestion (Pederson/Hill) came from the Machado camp or internally...

Edited by caulfield12

4 hours ago, Fuagman said:

Those who think palka is better or more valuable than Joc, please use your head.Β look at Matt Davidson. Same age. Same ridiculous power. Same pathetic OBP and defense. Palka is replaceable. You want what he offers, go get CJ Cron, Logan Morrison, Justin Smoak, Jay Bruce, etc etc etc. the list goes on forever.Β 

PalkaΒ is a lefty who earned another year to develop his hit tool. Matt pretty much bottomed out although he cut down on his K's. We don't have to pay much forΒ Palka and he is ours.Β 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, pcq said:

PalkaΒ is a lefty who earned another year to develop his hit tool. Matt pretty much bottomed out although he cut down on his K's. We don't have to pay much forΒ Palka and he is ours.Β 

Imagine if Palka were able to improve bothΒ his walk rate and strikeout rate by nearly 50%, become a competent defender and somehow age in reverse 8 months. That's Joc Pederson.

• Like 3

• Heads22 changed the title to JocTalk.com - Waiting......