Eloy - MLB Network Top 10 RF

bschmaranz

1 hour ago, bschmaranz said:

I dunno if anyone has been watching these but the Brian Kenny and two of the saber nerds had Eloy on their top 10 lists for RF.  Brian Kenny had him at 6, which is shocking.  Nice to see them recognizing his talent.

That's really odd because that list was always called Top 10 Right Now and Eloy doesn't even qualify yet since he has never played in the majors yet. And alson yes LF not RF but I'm sure they are all used to see him play RF in the famous video of this leaping catch over the RF foul fence in the Futures game 2 years ago.

https://www.mlb.com/video/jimenezs-eye-popping-catch/c-920655683

3 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

That's really odd because that list was always called Top 10 Right Now and Eloy doesn't even qualify yet since he has never played in the majors yet. And alson yes LF not RF but I'm sure they are all used to see him play RF in the famous video of this leaping catch over the RF foul fence in the Futures game 2 years ago.

https://www.mlb.com/video/jimenezs-eye-popping-catch/c-920655683

Yeah, it is a tad odd to have guys that haven't been up yet on the list, definitely agree.  They had Vlad Jr on their 3rd base list.  I still enjoy when they talk about our boys though so I'll take it.

And I dunno what fricken program they've created to make these lists but "the shredder" that's the impartial stats based system kinda has shit for brains.  It's a fun watch mostly for the guys that have legit insight but the list that dominates the show is just bad.

Edited by bschmaranz

5 minutes ago, bschmaranz said:

Yeah, it is a tad odd to have guys that haven't been up yet on the list, definitely agree.  They had Vlad Jr on their 3rd base list.  I still enjoy when they talk about our boys though so I'll take it.

And I dunno what fricken program they've created to make these lists but "the shredder" that's the impartial stats based system kinda has shit for brains.  It's a fun watch mostly for the guys that have legit insight but the list that dominates the show is just bad.

No list can be impartial because it takes a human to program it. If they use stats from last 4 years it becomes a lot different than the last 1 or last 2. Rightfully they should have no stats on Eloy to compare against MLB stats since they are apples and oranges. But I do agree that seeing Eloy on the list is sweet.

Edited by CaliSoxFanViaSWside
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, bschmaranz said:

I dunno if anyone has been watching these but the Brian Kenny and two of the saber nerds had Eloy on their top 10 lists for RF.  Brian Kenny had him at 6, which is shocking.  Nice to see them recognizing his talent.

Steamer600 projects him be a 3.5 win player next year.  Given the conservatism with young players in these projection systems, that’s absolute insanity.

Edited by Chicago White Sox
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Steamer600 projects him be a 3.5 win player next year.  Given the conservatism with young players in these projection systems, that’s absolute insanity.

Vladjr is projected to hit .306 and by Steamer600 already has a higher WAR projection than Machado, Harper, Yelich etc. You have to go back a decade (when projection systems were significantly less accurate) for me to recall seeing players yet to make their debut having projections like this.

Like most, I wouldn't rank Eloy as a top 10 LF/RF already, but it's fun to see how well he rates by "objective" measures.

3 hours ago, maxjusttyped said:

Vladjr is projected to hit .306 and by Steamer600 already has a higher WAR projection than Machado, Harper, Yelich etc. You have to go back a decade (when projection systems were significantly less accurate) for me to recall seeing players yet to make their debut having projections like this.

Like most, I wouldn't rank Eloy as a top 10 LF/RF already, but it's fun to see how well he rates by "objective" measures.

I don’t know, I’m ok with Vlad Jr & Eloy earning their spots.

16 hours ago, bschmaranz said:

Brian Kenny likes to be controversial. Eloy is a consensus top5 overall prospect in mlb so no way 5 other RFs can be ahead of him.

Edit: wait, does he mean top 10 in mlb? That is a bit optimistic for now but maybe eloy can really make a splash like soto last year.

Edited by dominik-keul@gmx.de

RF is a pretty weak position. I can't think of many guys I would rather have on the roster there than ELoy going into a season. Harper, Betts obviously. Yelich if you consider him an RF. Then you get into guys like Nimmo, Haniger, Piscotty. I don't think it's that big of a reach.

13 hours ago, bschmaranz said:

For anyone who haven't seen, here are some of lists...

Jimenez isn't in the fans top 10 which isn't surprising.

Also noticed they made a list for the fans to vote on the top CF with 26 names and Pederson wasn't even listed when a guy like Jarrod Dyson was.

5 hours ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

Jimenez isn't in the fans top 10 which isn't surprising.

Also noticed they made a list for the fans to vote on the top CF with 26 names and Pederson wasn't even listed when a guy like Jarrod Dyson was.

He played more left than center last season so maybe they classify him there?

EDIT: Yup

That's gonna be a goofy show.  3 of the best guys listed there are primarily DH (JD Mart, Davis, Stanton)

Edited by bschmaranz

On 1/20/2019 at 2:10 PM, Quin said:

I remember MLB Network picking Beckham as the 2B of the 2010s. Definitely had a few MVPs in his future.

I'm amped for Eloy, but he's not the 6th best RF in MLB until he's in MLB and hitting.

In their defense, Beckham looked like a sure thing after his callup. He was on track to set the single season 2B record, if you extrapolated his stats out to a full season.