Baseball Prospectus Top 101 Prospects

Y2Jimmy0

33 minutes ago, Y2Jimmy0 said:

https://www.baseballprospectus.com/news/article/46653/2019-prospects-the-top-101/

4. Eloy Jimenez

15. Nick Madrigal

24. Michael Kopech

26. Dylan Cease 

45. Luis Robert

76. Dane Dunning 

Madrigal haters won’t be happy, and the AFL showing was not enough to save Robert from falling a bit.

Dylan Cease though...en fuego.

And only one White Sox draft pick listed though.  That’s a bit of a disappointment.

13 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

Madrigal haters won’t be happy, and the AFL showing was not enough to save Robert from falling a bit.

Dylan Cease though...en fuego.

And only one White Sox draft pick listed though.  That’s a bit of a disappointment.

Yes the draft pick thing is a problem. The following players were drafted after Zack Collins in 2016: Alex Kiriloff, Forrest Whitley. These guys were taken after Burdi: Carter Kieboom, Taylor Trammell, Bo Bichette and Jesus Luzardo. There is a common trend among all of these guys. 

These guys were all taken after Jake Burger: Shane Baz, Heliot Ramos, DL Hall, Drew Waters, JB Bukauskus, Nate Pearson. The biggest problem with that year though was that Keston Hiura and Jo Adell were the two picks before Burger. They just weren't bad enough. 

The Sox refusal to choose HS players in the early rounds is unfortunate and lowers the ceiling on the rebuild a bit however. 

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, Y2Jimmy0 said:

The Sox refusal to choose HS players in the early rounds is unfortunate and lowers the ceiling on the rebuild a bit however. 

The inability to develop high school position players is unfortunate. Seems like the Sox best option is to develop pitchers and trade them to an organization that develops position players.

1 hour ago, Y2Jimmy0 said:

I'm not positive that they would have an inability to develop high school position players. They just haven't even really drafted many. 

Exactly. They don't draft many high schoolers, never signed that many intl players. Maybe it's an admission they are terrible at it, but we are seeing that the higher floors of these college picks isn't that inspiring. Most of all though, any set backs injury wise just seem debilitating. We'll see if the college reliever stuff pays off. I doubt it.

This is a more reassuring list.  4 in the top 30 is pretty nice.

Sox just lack nuance...first it's tools, then it's college bats.  As for Burdi, he was picked for the 2016 pen - I would assume the Sox would have been nowhere near him but for living in la la land in June, 2016.

Edited by GreenSox

3 hours ago, CWSpalehoseCWS said:

Really surprised seeing Madrigal over Kopech and Cease. I’d love to know how far out Adolfo was - he seems like he could possibly sneak in at the tail end of some lists.

What's up with all the love for Adolfo honestly?  Why is he viewed so much higher than guys like Basabe and my favorite Gonzalez?

21 minutes ago, cjgalloway said:

What's up with all the love for Adolfo honestly?  Why is he viewed so much higher than guys like Basabe and my favorite Gonzalez?

Better power than both.  Hit for a bit better average than Basabe this year.  A year younger than Gonzalez.  But its not like he's light-years ahead of those 2, just has the edge by a bit.

20 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

And an 80 arm in addition to that 70 power.

Right, he has one of the best power tools in the org, if he continues to develop the hit tool, along with that prototypical RF arm, he is a hands down mlb rf regular. 

• Thanks 1

56 minutes ago, bmags said:

Right, he has one of the best power tools in the org, if he continues to develop the hit tool, along with that prototypical RF arm, he is a hands down mlb rf regular. 

Let me put it this way.  If all of the OFs in our system were to play to their expected ceilings, only Jimenez and probably Robert would be better.