FS Rankings Week: Prospects 16-30

NorthSideSox72

Very nice list.  Honestly, it’s somewhat shocking how close these would be to mine.  The only guy I had in the 16 to 30 range not on this list was Nunez (you guys had Adams at #30 instead).

Also, I find it a bit humerous that some experts rip our depth.  No doubt teams like the Padres have more high ceiling players in their 16 to 30 range, but this is still a quality group of prospects.  I’d argue it’s the best group in that range since probably the early 2000’s.

I get why they are there, I'm very skeptical of the value of this set of relievers. I'm not sure of the currency they provide from a trade standpoint, they are kind of a nuisance for the 40 man soon, and so far when they have come up I've been less than impressed.  That our "depth" is being stood up on the backs of relievers at age appropriate levels doing well makes me nervous.

1 hour ago, bmags said:

I get why they are there, I'm very skeptical of the value of this set of relievers. I'm not sure of the currency they provide from a trade standpoint, they are kind of a nuisance for the 40 man soon, and so far when they have come up I've been less than impressed.  That our "depth" is being stood up on the backs of relievers at age appropriate levels doing well makes me nervous.

Which relievers are you referring to?  The only pure ones on that list are Hamilton & Johnson.

1 hour ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Which relievers are you referring to?  The only pure ones on that list are Hamilton & Johnson.

Kind of a rule for me is that guys either need a chance to start or have to be high leverage types to make a top 30 list. Medeiros likely ends up in pen but he has a chance to start so I included him. Burdi, Hamilton and Johnson are all closer types. 

4 hours ago, bmags said:

There are certain areas we really lack depth, especially 1) Middle infield 2) Corner Infield 3) Young starting pitching (High A and below)

2 hours ago, Y2Jimmy0 said:

Kind of a rule for me is that guys either need a chance to start or have to be high leverage types to make a top 30 list. Medeiros likely ends up in pen but he has a chance to start so I included him. Burdi, Hamilton and Johnson are all closer types. 

100% agree.  Those three guys are a cut above our other relief prospects IMO and warrant their spots.  Guys like Ruiz, Burr, Vieira, etc. simply have too many question marks to have any confidence they’ll be high leverage guys and should be outside of the top in any decent system.

56 minutes ago, steveno89 said:

There are certain areas we really lack depth, especially 1) Middle infield 2) Corner Infield 3) Young starting pitching (High A and below)

Disagree strongly on middle infield. Madrigal at the top, plus Sosa, Rivera, Curbelo etc. below, on a team that already has Anderson and Moncada? Not a problem area. Maybe even a strength.

Agree on corner infield though.

• Like 1

Just now, CWSpalehoseCWS said:

He does not. He doesn’t miss enough bats to be a legitimate option.

Interesting but with some of the minor league invites surprised he doesn't get a chance.  Wondered also if it might be because a trade might be in the works and they don't expect him with the team?

2 minutes ago, BamaDoc said:

Interesting but with some of the minor league invites surprised he doesn't get a chance.  Wondered also if it might be because a trade might be in the works and they don't expect him with the team?

I think it simply comes down to that they don't view him as having any real future with the club. I don't see him having much value in trade either. Cease, Dunning, Stephens, Lambert, Guerrero, Flores are all ahead of him and project as better players than he does. Adams doesn't strike guys out and doesn't really have the weapons some of those other guys do.