Baseball America Top 100 Prospects

Y2Jimmy0

I don't know, at some point Robert needs to prove his ranking by staying on the field. I mentioned in another post how it feels like there is so little momentum with our prospects. Few are surprisingly pushing the core forward or adding to it, they just are what they were and are either falling off (hansen) or being caught up to by better prospects (collins/rutherford)

34 minutes ago, bmags said:

I don't know, at some point Robert needs to prove his ranking by staying on the field. I mentioned in another post how it feels like there is so little momentum with our prospects. Few are surprisingly pushing the core forward or adding to it, they just are what they were and are either falling off (hansen) or being caught up to by better prospects (collins/rutherford)

They list Robert at 55 Hit, 60 Power, 70 Speed, 60 Defense, 55 Arm. That's a 1st division regular in CF. They have him too low especially with some of the names before him. 

3 minutes ago, Y2Jimmy0 said:

They list Robert at 55 Hit, 60 Power, 70 Speed, 60 Defense, 55 Arm. That's a 1st division regular in CF. They have him too low especially with some of the names before him. 

Agreed, but so far he has a 30 on the most important ability: availability. In the last three years (which are really equivalent to the three college years US players would have), he has played in 165 games and that includes 53 in the Cuban League, 16 in the CanAm league, 28 in the DSL, and 5 in the AZL, all of which are probably below his talent level so they don't really give a good read on him or help him improve. So really he has only played 63 games against like competition in the last 3 years. That is scary not only for future projection of production, but also his development or lack thereof. 

4 minutes ago, GenericUserName said:

Agreed, but so far he has a 30 on the most important ability: availability. In the last three years (which are really equivalent to the three college years US players would have), he has played in 165 games and that includes 53 in the Cuban League, 16 in the CanAm league, 28 in the DSL, and 5 in the AZL, all of which are probably below his talent level so they don't really give a good read on him or help him improve. So really he has only played 63 games against like competition in the last 3 years. That is scary not only for future projection of production, but also his development or lack thereof. 

Sure it is. He destroyed the AFL this year though. If he's healthy, I'm fairly certain he's a top 20 prospect in the sport at this time next year. The BA list has Victor Victor in front of him. That's nuts to me. 

4 minutes ago, Y2Jimmy0 said:

Sure it is. He destroyed the AFL this year though. If he's healthy, I'm fairly certain he's a top 20 prospect in the sport at this time next year. The BA list has Victor Victor in front of him. That's nuts to me. 

I think that's true, but I think this is a reaction to having him ranked higher before and his injuries keeping him from playing much. 

For what it's worth on Madrigal, there is a BA article posted today (maybe premium gated?) about how he absolutely needs to start pulling the ball and how his opposite field approach isn't conducive to generating power. Might be something to keep an eye on this season.

48 minutes ago, DirtySox said:

For what it's worth on Madrigal, there is a BA article posted today (maybe premium gated?) about how he absolutely needs to start pulling the ball and how his opposite field approach isn't conducive to generating power. Might be something to keep an eye on this season.

I think it wasn't really an approach but him being late on pro pitching maybe due to the injury he had.

Interestingly he didn't have a that low pull rate but barely hit any balls to the middle of the field even while his oppo rate was super high.

Guys with a true oppo approach will have high up the middle rates too.

I think if he is healthy next year and maybe adds 10 pounds this offseason his batspeed should be better and his batted ball profile too.

3 minutes ago, dominik-keul@gmx.de said:

I think it wasn't really an approach but him being late on pro pitching maybe due to the injury he had.

Interestingly he didn't have a that low pull rate but barely hit any balls to the middle of the field even while his oppo rate was super high.

Guys with a true oppo approach will have high up the middle rates too.

I think if he is healthy next year and maybe adds 10 pounds this offseason his batspeed should be better and his batted ball profile too.

I'm totally on team Madrigal. I'm optimistic. Can't wait to see what he does.

39 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

Last year, the Sox had 7 or 8 players on these lists. To see it go to 5 in a season is discouraging, especially with no graduations. Are the Sox even a top 5 system anymore? It will be interesting to see if they are. 

Who else were you expecting? I think Collins will be on Fangraphs' list and Adolfo will be on Keith Law's list. Rutherford probably will still be listed at pipeline. 

The White Sox also had 5 guys on last year's list for BA.

4. Eloy
11. Kopech
57. Hansen
58. Robert
82. Dunning

Hansen obviously fell apart but I don't think Dunning is probably too far outside this list. He had a very good season until the injury. Another season like last year and he's likely a September call-up. Burdi and Burger have become much bigger question marks due to injuries and guys like Collins and Rutherford have lost a little luster, but didn't have terrible seasons. I think the biggest disappointment is that no one really made much of a leap last year other than Cease.

11 minutes ago, TomPickle said:

The White Sox also had 5 guys on last year's list for BA.

4. Eloy
11. Kopech
57. Hansen
58. Robert
82. Dunning

Hansen obviously fell apart but I don't think Dunning is probably too far outside this list. He had a very good season until the injury. Another season like last year and he's likely a September call-up. Burdi and Burger have become much bigger question marks due to injuries and guys like Collins and Rutherford have lost a little luster, but didn't have terrible seasons. I think the biggest disappointment is that no one really made much of a leap last year other than Cease.

I suppose Basabe made a leap too.

Just now, cjgalloway said:

Gonzalez a massive leap.  I think many of our 15-30 prospects took leaps forward.  HOWEVER some of our 1-10 didn't AT ALL or fell back.

Gonzalez wasn’t challenged at all. Well have a much better idea this year.

Just for reference, the Sox had nine guys in Fangraphs’ updated 2018 top 100.  It will be interesting to see how many make the cut when they do their 2019 update.

I do think Dunning is a huge miss here, unless they’re simply assuming he’s still injured.  Regardless, the end of these lists are more or less pointless because the separation between most of these guys is so small.  Adolfo, Basabe, Collins, & Dunning are all likely in the 100 to 120 range.  Realistically they aren’t that much different than other 50 FV grade prospects ranked in the 70’s or 80’s.

9 hours ago, Y2Jimmy0 said:

There are 5 White Sox listed on this one: https://www.baseballamerica.com/rankings/2019-top-100-prospects/

3. Eloy Jimenez OF

21.Michael Kopech RHP

38. Dylan Cease RHP

43. Nick Madrigal 2B

76. Luis Robert CF

They are way too low on Luis Robert considering some of the players they have in front of him in my opinion. 

That's not great after all this.  I hope the reality is better.

I think Gonzalez wasn't rated higher is that he is a bit old for his level last year. Age does get considered in prospect rankings.

He does have some talent as a 3rd round pick but a non first round college bat needs to show it in AA and AAA before he gets bumped to top100 if he performs. If he had last season as a 20 yo HS bat in high A ball he would be top100 now.

If he repeats last years stats in AA or AAA he will be top100 but of course that will be harder at that level, as college players sometimes hit a wall there because their body is finished developing earlier.

On 1/23/2019 at 2:47 PM, Y2Jimmy0 said:

Who else were you expecting? I think Collins will be on Fangraphs' list and Adolfo will be on Keith Law's list. Rutherford probably will still be listed at pipeline. 

Only 4 Sox made KLaw list according to him on the radio

Edited by fathom