SouthSide bar bans Cubs' fans, or anyone wearing a jersey, because they have a strict code.

caulfield12

https://www.yahoo.com/news/south-side-chicago-bar-strict-190618863.html

8 hours ago
Good luck staying open .. there only 6 Sox fans that go to the games

Matt
7 hours ago
I like it when places I would have 0 interest in ever entering make it clear up front.

Some Guy
7 hours ago
Cubs fans and the majority of the general public wouldn't go to the south side anyway, at least not without body armor or police protection.

21 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

At least this thread probably won't be locked. Caulfield always stirring the pot bringing sports related drama into Soxtalk.

Harpchado Show on MLB Network would be cancelled by now for lack of interest.

That and the fact that regionally, Phillies and White Sox fans aren't exactly going to lead to robust ratings, compared to the Yankees, Dodgers, Cubs and Red Sox being hyper involved.

Edited by caulfield12
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, Tony said:

It’s still shocking after all these years how detached you are from normal, human-like conversation, and you just live in your own little world on this board. I mean, your response wasn’t even somewhat related to anything in the original reply. 

Now, I fully expect a three paragraph response somehow listing off 19 members of the 2003 White Sox. Go.

Well, considering the fact that I thought I was in the Manny Thread...that's probably why.

But thanks for comparing me to a bot!   And saying I'm "abnormal."   Maybe it's because I'm not a Millenial Bro, and this board is essentially inhabited by 18-36 year olds, by and large.

I'd say that probably only 10-15% of this board is close to 50 and older.   It's just a different generation.  I would actually prefer to talk about literature or movies/t.v. shows or politics, but Filibuster closed and the movies thread has been pretty dead.

Edited by caulfield12
  • Haha 1

The inclusion of this alone shows that this thread was meant for nothing but to stir the pot and cause discourse:

Cubs fans and the majority of the general public wouldn't go to the south side anyway, at least not without body armor or police protection.

Unless Yahoo commenter Some Guy is someone we should care about, what is the purpose of posting his part?

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, Quin said:

The inclusion of this alone shows that this thread was meant for nothing but to stir the pot and cause discourse:

Unless Yahoo commenter Some Guy is someone we should care about, what is the purpose of posting his part?

Why are White Sox fans sensitive at this point....we've been hearing this since the 1970's?

I don't quite get it, why it's impossible to have a sense of humor about things, just like the Cardinals and Cubs fans going back and forth about their cities.   I guess not being a native Chicagoan, I don't or can't take it as personally.

But I've heard every joke about Iowans and "flyover" territory there is...or about how "dumb kids" from Chicago that don't get into Northwestern or Illinois from the suburbs always go to my alma mater.

13 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

Why are White Sox fans sensitive at this point....we've been hearing this since the 1970's?

I don't quite get it, why it's impossible to have a sense of humor about things, just like the Cardinals and Cubs fans going back and forth about their cities.   I guess not being a native Chicagoan, I don't or can't take it as personally.

But I've heard every joke about Iowans and "flyover" territory there is...or about how "dumb kids" from Chicago that don't get into Northwestern or Illinois from the suburbs always go to my alma mater.

I'm not a native Chicagoan either. But my hometown is poor and is similar demographically.

Those South Side jokes mostly amount to "ha ha, your area is terrible because of black-on-black crime where they shoot and kill each other."

A lot different than "There's nothing to do in town but have a bonfire, drive around, go to the one nice bar everyone goes to, or think about going to Chicago" stereotypes that flyover territory gets.

8 minutes ago, Quin said:

I'm not a native Chicagoan either. But my hometown is poor and is similar demographically.

Those South Side jokes mostly amount to "ha ha, your area is terrible because of black-on-black crime where they shoot and kill each other."

A lot different than "There's nothing to do in town but have a bonfire, drive around, go to the one nice bar everyone goes to, or think about going to Chicago" stereotypes that flyover territory gets.

I think you're forgetting how charged St. Louis has been, and it's not just back to the Ferguson situation, but all the way back to the late 1980's when they weren't picking up garbage for months in East St. Louis.  I specifically remember a scene from one of the Chevy Chase vacation movies where the Family Truckster breaks down there, and the "ensuing hilarity" of a white family trapped in the ghetto, hahaha,

The area around the field is 100% safer (at night) than it was in the 1970's and 80's.  That stereotype has just carried over...wherever it started, maybe it was "Bad, Bad Leroy Brown" for all I know.

In fact, that Jim Croce song debuted in 1973...not too long after the riots in cities like Detroit and Newark, or the DNC in 1968.

Well the South side of Chicago
Is the baddest part of town
And if you go down there
You better just beware
Of a man named Leroy Brown
Edited by caulfield12

21 minutes ago, LittleHurt05 said:

If Yahoo or caulfield actually read up on the bar, they would realize you will get kicked out for wearing a Sox, Bears, or Bulls jersey too. No jerseys at all, but the truth keeps you from trolling.

Caulfield is really going to be in trouble if yahoo stops being a reliable storyteller of American life. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Chicago White Sox said:

This may be the most Caulfieldized thread ever.  Pot stirring, crazy tangents, defensive rants, this one has them all.

Well, I don’t have Harper AND Machado both going to the White Sox, so there’s that.  

Next year, which two will it be, Sale and Arenado?   Are you sure you are willing to die on that hill all season long if we don’t manage to sign Machado this time around?

1 minute ago, caulfield12 said:

Well, I don’t have Harper AND Machado both going to the White Sox, so there’s that.  

Next year, which two will it be, Sale and Arenado?   Are you sure you are willing to die on that hill all season long if we don’t manage to sign Machado this time around?

No, but you will mention Fernando Tatis Jr. constantly unless he busts, ESPECIALLY if we sign Machado because money could have been saved.

If Avi or Davidson hit 20 home runs, they will be brought up in every other thread as missed Sox opportunities like Michael Morse.

Then if Colome or Herrera have a bad game, we'll hear about the Sox shouldn't have any former Royals players or trade for relievers and should have kept Chris Devenski in 2012. Which they should have, but only because Brett Myers is a piece of shit.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, LittleHurt05 said:

If Yahoo or caulfield actually read up on the bar, they would realize you will get kicked out for wearing a Sox, Bears, or Bulls jersey too. No jerseys at all, but the truth keeps you from trolling.

Wait, can't where a Royals jersey either? Man, that's fucked!

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Quin said:

No, but you will mention Fernando Tatis Jr. constantly unless he busts, ESPECIALLY if we sign Machado because money could have been saved.

If Avi or Davidson hit 20 home runs, they will be brought up in every other thread as missed Sox opportunities like Michael Morse.

Then if Colome or Herrera have a bad game, we'll hear about the Sox shouldn't have any former Royals players or trade for relievers and should have kept Chris Devenski in 2012. Which they should have, but only because Brett Myers is a piece of shit.

That’s fine, if Tatis is such a bogeyman that he keeps Sox fans from enjoying the sport, I don’t know what to say...because the initial identification of him as a sixteen year old is one of the few indications are front office is doing things the right way, at least in terms of Latin America.  Seriously, it’s 11 years later and Wilder is still the excuse for why we’re completely unsuccessful in the Dominican.   That’s frankly not a good excuse, anymore.

6 minutes ago, BlackSox13 said:

Wait, can't where a Royals jersey either? Man, that's fucked!

Where=wear

Well, this whole “likes” thing on the board is certainly good for not leading to any personal attacks in this thread, but if it makes people feel better to pile on one after another, that’s everyone’s perogative, I guess.

I swear, Soxtalk2014 must have mentioned that I have posted “random” names about 50-75 times in the last 2-3 months.  It’s getting to be like one of those Cubs’ fans who calls into the postgame show and thinks that they can trade for any superstar in the game if they just package together 5-7 Tier B/C prospects.

Edited by caulfield12

I’ll give you a like, just so you feel further empowered to add snark on most days.

That way, you can put it on your resume you have the most likes at SoxTalk.com, and I’m fairly sure that will be good for an extra $2000-3000 bump in your next salary negotiations.

Edited by caulfield12
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, soxfan2014 said:

All that's missing is a bunch of random names.

This is just the way things are for the franchise. They traded Bobby Bonilla for nothing, then passed on the chance to add Barry Bonds in the '90s. Imagine how things would be different if they drafted Mike Trout instead of Jared Mitchell? Things might change if the Sox can sign Machado or Harper, but what if they fail to land Sale or Bumgarner next year? Can they win a championship with Zach Burdi throwing to Zach Collins? They won't have Keon Barnum Keenyn Walker playing behind them, that's for sure.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1