SouthSide bar bans Cubs' fans, or anyone wearing a jersey, because they have a strict code.

caulfield12

1 minute ago, Roughneck said:

This is just the way things are for the franchise. They traded Bobby Bonilla for nothing, then passed on the chance to add Barry Bonds in the '90s. Imagine how things would be different if they drafted Mike Trout instead of Jared Mitchell? Things might change if the Sox can sign Machado or Harper, but what if they fail to land Sale or Bumgarner next year? Can they win a championship with Zach Burdi throwing to Zach Collins? They won't have Keon Barnum Keenyn Walker playing behind them, that's for sure.

Spot on.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Roughneck said:

This is just the way things are for the franchise. They traded Bobby Bonilla for nothing, then passed on the chance to add Barry Bonds in the '90s. Imagine how things would be different if they drafted Mike Trout instead of Jared Mitchell? Things might change if the Sox can sign Machado or Harper, but what if they fail to land Sale or Bumgarner next year? Can they win a championship with Zach Burdi throwing to Zach Collins? They won't have Keon Barnum Keenyn Walker playing behind them, that's for sure.

To be fair, they actually got Bobby Bonilla for nothing. Rule 5 draft. Traded him for Jose DeLeon who they traded for the One Dog. Also, had they had kept Bonilla, they might not have been bad enough to draft Frank Thomas. So that actually worked out pretty well.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Roughneck said:

Back to 30 years ago for Bonilla?  Why stop there?  No anger over how they could have had The Babe?

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Roughneck said:

Now I’m going to go all Jack Parkman on you and mention that I have ADHD, so thanks for turning me into a non-White Sox fan with the persistent bullying and personal attacks that take place on this board.   I’m going to follow the Brewers from now on.  Ever since the “likes” were added, people have started acting much snarkier than they used to.

I’ll probably be back when Rick Hahn is relieved of his position, so deleting my account isn’t necessary like I asked at WSI...it has been a fun 12 years, but enough is enough.

The White Sox fans that I grew up around in the 1970’s and 80’s were much different type of people, they were blue collar, Miller Lite drinking fans from Dubuque who worked in a meat packing plant.  Now, those fans who used to be split nearly 50/50 are almost entirely gone.   I used to be proud to be a fan, and I can never root for the Cubs, so I will have to do the next best thing.   The other option is the Padres, who have a much more entertaining radio broadcast.

• Love 1

4 hours ago, caulfield12 said:

Now I’m going to go all Jack Parkman on you and mention that I have ADHD, so thanks for turning me into a non-White Sox fan with the persistent bullying and personal attacks that take place on this board.   I’m going to follow the Brewers from now on.  Ever since the “likes” were added, people have started acting much snarkier than they used to.

I’ll probably be back when Rick Hahn is relieved of his position, so deleting my account isn’t necessary like I asked at WSI...it has been a fun 12 years, but enough is enough.

The White Sox fans that I grew up around in the 1970’s and 80’s were much different type of people, they were blue collar, Miller Lite drinking fans from Dubuque who worked in a meat packing plant.  Now, those fans who used to be split nearly 50/50 are almost entirely gone.   I used to be proud to be a fan, and I can never root for the Cubs, so I will have to do the next best thing.   The other option is the Padres, who have a much more entertaining radio broadcast.

Oh stop

4 hours ago, caulfield12 said:

It's one thing to go after people like me. It is quite another to target someone who hasn't said a thing to you for no other reason than being a joke to you. You should delete this post. 

1 hour ago, southsider2k5 said:

It's one thing to go after people like me. It is quite another to target someone who hasn't said a thing to you for no other reason than being a joke to you. You should delete this post. 

https://www.independent.co.uk/life-style/health-and-families/features/adhd-i-have-a-million-things-in-my-head-at-a-time-8710004.html

I shouldn't have involved Jack Parkman (and, btw, I've never treated him like a joke, although hearing about Giolito's potential all year got old, we all have our favorite players), because his situation is so difficult for him it's hard to hold down a job, or even be offered one...ADHD is different, or adult ADHD.   It's not about IQ or intelligence, it's just the way your brain works and inability to focus, going off on tangents or unrelated (or distantly related topics).   On one hand, I can watch many movies or binge t.v. shows without any problem, or get two Master's degrees.   I can compound money, get a consistent 8-10% rate of return on my investment portfolio, etc.   Working in non-profit developed my EQ.

On the other, I am constantly thinking about connections between different areas (finance and non-profit, sports and entertainment), some random facts and trivia (which is why I usually do well in Jeopardy/Trivial Pursuit/Millionaire type games or crossword puzzles) are always popping into my head.

Whether it's normal or not to think this way, I don't know.  It's just the way that I write, or more particularly, free write...if you give me the personal essays or Common App letters for our graduating seniors, I can edit/polish them quite quickly and easily, in the last few weeks, 4 of them have gotten into Oxford/Cambridge, 1 into Duke, 2 into the University of Chicago, 1 into Carnegie Mellon, but that's a completely different type of skill that all English majors possess.

However, I have areas where my brain doesn't work that well, such as explaining complicated diagrams in economics, because my brain doesn't do well thinking in multiple dimensions or in terms of spatial relations, which is probably why I hated chemistry, physics and geometry.

My father had early onset Alzheimer's disease in his mid to late 50's, and my mother has been dealing it for all of her 80's.

Basically, my brain works exactly like this book, Latticework.

In this engaging and challenging book, Robert Hagstrom outlines a new approach to investing based on the ideas of two highly successful investors: Charlie Munger of Berkshire Hathaway and bill Miller of Legg Mason. Both Munger and Miller believe in the latticework approach to investing, one that is based on a working knowledge of a variety of disciplines. Latticework is a true liberal arts approach to investing. It carries the reader from Ben Franklin's vision of education to St. John's College with its Great Books program to the cutting-edge Santa Fe Institute, a multi-disciplinary research center which brings together scientists from a variety of fields to address complex adaptive systems, including markets and economies. In helping readers develop the worldly vision they need to succeed financially, Latticework also points the way to a richer, fuller, more rewarding life.

Edited by caulfield12

https://www.gaslampball.com/2019/1/22/18192839/a-look-into-the-padres-finances-has-opened-a-rats-nest-of-questions-ron-fowler-please-dont-be-evil

There should be no excuse for the Padres to sign him with their debt load, not to mention that they already spent HALF that amount on Hosmer (that teams were projected to spend on Machado, $288 million)...and STILL have almost $30 million of bad money from the 2014-15 free agent class on their books.

At least 10% of their revenue goes to debt load and PetCo refurbishments.  Yet this is a franchise that has never won a World Series in fifty years of existence, has suffered six losing seasons in a row, and an even longer run since their last playoff appearance than the Sox.  So they just might be desperate, and their franchise has already doubled in value to $1.2-$1.3 billion from their $600+ million purchase price (plus assuming debt from Moores).

There’s also zero excuse to be outbid by teams like Pirates or Reds.  The Mets are already out.  

I guess the Angels could jump in if they know Trout is already gone after 2020 (in terms of internal negotiations) and they really want to reach the playoffs his last two seasons.  Pujols’ deal expires after 2021, fwiw.

https://www.thegoodphight.com/2019/1/25/18197906/should-the-phillies-be-worried-about-the-padres

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/nationals/when-will-bryce-harper-and-manny-machado-get-their-big-offers-maybe-never/2019/01/25/8ede3efa-20a8-11e9-9145-3f74070bbdb9_story.html

Edited by caulfield12

On 1/23/2019 at 11:55 PM, Quin said:

After reading that Picasso was claimed to be a Sox fan I will feign surprise that Bob Dylan was also blowin' in the South Side wind. I think Pablo had acquired some Sox haberdashy when he was making his Chitown sculpture. 

On 1/24/2019 at 9:11 AM, Roughneck said:

I feel better that the Sox were not the only team that passed on him.   At one time there were fans saying, "Imagine how things would be different if they drafted Frank Thomas......

7 hours ago, kitekrazy said:

I feel better that the Sox were not the only team that passed on him.   At one time there were fans saying, "Imagine how things would be different if they drafted Frank Thomas......

Thomas and Ventura...McDowell, too, they all came up so quickly, there wasn’t even enough time to question their selections.  

McDowell probably struggled the most to establish himself of those three high first round picks.  Ventura was fine once he got past that 0/41 or whatever it was, but he really came into his own the next year.  He already had that hitting streak at OSU, the only question was his defense.  Thomas was a bit more unknown due to the two sport career and being overshadowed by the Bo Jackson legend at Auburn.

But The Big Hurt was pretty much a hitting machine from the very moment he was drafted (like Jimenez last year, but even better.)

28 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

Thomas and Ventura...McDowell, too, they all came up so quickly, there wasn’t even enough time to question their selections.  

McDowell probably struggled the most to establish himself of those three high first round picks.  Ventura was fine once he got past that 0/41 or whatever it was, but he really came into his own the next year.  He already had that hitting streak at OSU, the only question was his defense.  Thomas was a bit more unknown due to the two sport career and being overshadowed by the Bo Jackson legend at Auburn.

But The Big Hurt was pretty much a hitting machine from the very moment he was drafted (like Jimenez last year, but even better.)

Was that a parody of yourself...? Ha

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Buehrle>Wood said:

Was that a parody of yourself...? Ha

Bob Dylan wrote that passage and sent me this...or DID he?

https://www.sandiegouniontribune.com/sports/sd-sp-padres-on-mlb-com-top-100-prospects-list-20190126-photogallery.html

Fwiw, I couldn’t even join the Brewers’ message board because I couldn’t convince them that I was actually a fan...mentions of Junior Guerra, Saladino, Soria and Avilan were not particularly helpful.

On 1/28/2019 at 5:50 AM, caulfield12 said:

Bill Veeck discover Harold Baines when he was a little kid.