Any home brewers out there?

Wanne

I'm not going to do beer...sounds like a pain in the ass honestly and I just assume buy it.

I'm delving into making my first batches of mead as we speak...and going to do some hard ciders this weekend too. The ciders don't take as long which is good since I'm very impatient. There's a place in Prescott we always stop in at that's pretty cool called Superstition Meadery. Little bar the basement of this shop on the square in downtown Prescott. We did that Granite Mountain Hotshot Memorial in Yarnell and headed up the road to it just this past weekend. But DAMN they have some great meads! So we decided to give it a shot.

You can make whatever kind you want. I prefer a little sweeter so it's better to use Orange Blossom honey. If you want a more "woodsy" flavor use wildflower honey. The say it's better to use the wine yeast also. That's the thing...it's all trial and error to find out what you like. My first couple of batches we're doing a cherry...and just a traditional. The meads take longer to ferment than the ciders.

With the hard cider you can do it ghetto style and just get a gallon jug of apple juice...or cider...poor some out add a cup or two of sugar (some say brown sugar is good...or just corn sugar) and pitch your yeast...drill a hole in the top of the cap and pop your airlock for a week or 10 days.

I've been studying this for a bit. All kinds of vids on it....Northern Brewer has a few good cider vids. This homesteading couple (goofy dude) have a bunch of vids too...I think called City Steading. He makes a mead called Viking Blood (with cherries). But there's all kinds of vids on youtube.

Wanted to get someone's perspective on here that's done this...

There is someone on here that homebrews.  Someone else recently started.  I can't say that I do it, but I have assisted a friend who does all grain at least 25 times.  Never helped with a cider.  Without a specific question, the factors that I think are most important in the beer making process are sanitation and fermentation temperature.  

definitely sanitize and be a clean freak.  And write EVERYTHING down. 

The carbonation for the ciders is what I'm a little curious about.  They say you want your carbonation out of mead so you don't blow corks...but how do you know how much to carbonate (with sugar or those little tabs).  I haven't racked any yet...so I've got some time. 

thanks.