Sign in to follow this  
Tony

Untold/Forgotten Sports Stories

Sort of a random question, but what is a story you’ve always liked or remembered that hasn’t really had a movie or documentary done about it? Could be an event, could be a story about a certain player or their career, whatever. Just curious about some “under the radar” type sports stories...

It doesn't get more "under the radar" than the 2005 Sox, just ask ESPN.

Sorry, I'll brainstorm some real ideas and be useful.

• Like 1

I don't know about a movie, but I remember being at a Sox game in the mid 80's where they were being no hit and losing 6-0 going into the bottom of the 9th.  The Sox then hit back to back to back homers, followed by back to back doubles to make the game interesting before finally getting closed out.

I was thinking more along the lines of something like Adam Greenberg, the Cubs prospect that got hit in the head, the struggle to get back, etc. 

Like a story that was somewhat big at the time, but could be told again in a film/documentary. 

9 minutes ago, Tony said:

I was thinking more along the lines of something like Adam Greenberg, the Cubs prospect that got hit in the head, the struggle to get back, etc. 

Like a story that was somewhat big at the time, but could be told again in a film/documentary. 

The Te'o story

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, fathom said:

The Te'o story

That's a GREAT one...

7 hours ago, Tony said:

That's a GREAT one...

I'm partial to it, but the Jack Trice story at Iowa State - only FBS stadium named after an African-American, he was a black player at ISU  in the early 20s that died after sustaining injuries against Minnesota.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jack_Trice

• Like 1

All of the guys Branch Rickey scouted alongside Jackie Robinson to break the color barrier. Minoso was one of them, but being Cuban broke that for him.

Bartolo Colon vanishing from his team mid-season because he was sad that Michael Jackson died