MLB Pipeline!

Squirmin' for Yermin

1 minute ago, cjgalloway said:

Top 10 OF were released today.  Eloy at 1 and Robert at 10.  Eloy is a 70 FV! The top 100 come out on Saturday!

I figured after Callis tweeted out asking if the hype surrounding VGJ has undercut the potential impact of a bat like jimenez. I think even I forget sometimes how good this guys is supposed to be.

4 hours ago, bmags said:

I figured after Callis tweeted out asking if the hype surrounding VGJ has undercut the potential impact of a bat like jimenez. I think even I forget sometimes how good this guys is supposed to be.

I'm more exciting for Jimenez then a Machado. Something about homegrown talent (despite being in the Cubs system first). I really hope he's someone they lock-up long-term.

2 hours ago, ChiSoxJon said:

Popular team bias

I think  it is more that mlb.com wants every team to have some top100 prospects on the list so fringy top 100 guys will be pushed up in thin farm systems like the cubs while the fringy top100 guys of the systems who already have 6-7 guys on the  list will get pushed out.

It is simply better for traffic if every team has 2-3 guys on the list while sox or padres fans won't care whether they have 8 or 9 guys.

8 hours ago, yesterday333 said:

Anybody else find it interesting how Nico Horner went from being their #52 player in the draft to being in the top 100 after 14 professional games?

I'm less conspiratorial about it than others here. I remember hearing the cubs made a swing change with him and it allowed him to potentially have average power when he was projected to have much below average power. Combine that with his great performance in the AFL and suddenly he looks like a lot better prospect than initially thought.

1 hour ago, dominik-keul@gmx.de said:

Yeah he is a decent prospect. Not a great fielder at short but great k to bb ratio and not zero pop either. Can probably hit 15 homers with decent obp in his prime, might move to second or third later 

https://eastvillagetimes.com/2018/09/the-rapid-ascension-of-the-padres-owen-miller/

The reverse is this Illinois State kid who can’t make the Padres’ top ten but performed better than even the biggest Madrigal fans could have expected last year...but he wasn’t drafted in the first round, so he has to fight perceptions, that and coming out of a mid major conference.

15 hours ago, yesterday333 said:

Anybody else find it interesting how Nico Horner went from being their #52 player in the draft to being in the top 100 after 14 professional games?

I believe it was his AFL that opened a lot of eyes on him, or at least that's when I heard him being hyped up the most. He hit .337 in the AFL in 21 games.

5 hours ago, caulfield12 said:

https://eastvillagetimes.com/2018/09/the-rapid-ascension-of-the-padres-owen-miller/

The reverse is this Illinois State kid who can’t make the Padres’ top ten but performed better than even the biggest Madrigal fans could have expected last year...but he wasn’t drafted in the first round, so he has to fight perceptions, that and coming out of a mid major conference.

In 26 games in A ball, Miller hit .336 with a 3.5% BB rate, 14.9% K rate, and 2 HR, 0 SB

In 26 games in A+ ball, Madrigal hit .306 with a 4.7% BB rate, 4.7% K rate, and 0 HR, 6 SB

Madrigal was better in most aspect at a higher level. Not 2 rounds earlier in the draft better, but to say he performed better than Madrigal seems a bit of a stretch. He also wasn't come off a CWS run and championship.

6 hours ago, ChiliIrishHammock24 said:

In 26 games in A ball, Miller hit .336 with a 3.5% BB rate, 14.9% K rate, and 2 HR, 0 SB

In 26 games in A+ ball, Madrigal hit .306 with a 4.7% BB rate, 4.7% K rate, and 0 HR, 6 SB

Madrigal was better in most aspect at a higher level. Not 2 rounds earlier in the draft better, but to say he performed better than Madrigal seems a bit of a stretch. He also wasn't come off a CWS run and championship.

Miller had a promising start and of course this is way better than not performing but I wouldn't get too excited about a top5 round advanced college bat doing well in A ball.

For college players the real test at AA because they are physically and mechanically ahead of many  A ball prospects who are often HS or very young international prospects. A 22 yo college player should be ahead of a 19 yo international or HS guy.

Also Miller is a 3b which now is a power position in mlb. At 2b there  are still hit over power guys who hit 12 homers with decent obp but at 3b they expect you to hit 25+ in these days. Miller doesn't seem to be a power hitter either and at age 22 there isn't much room to grow the power.

If he was able to play MIF that would be different but a 3b who can hit 12 homers isn't good to use as utility/bench guy because he can only play 3rd, 1st and maybe LF,  all positions were the bat doesn't play well.

If he can play MIF with 12 homers and decent obp that would be a nice bench bat though but for a 3b to play with 40-45 power it basically needs to be 70 hit which is probably a stretch for him.

Edited by dominik-keul@gmx.de

3 hours ago, caulfield12 said:

He did start 50 games at SS, so it seems gone has the arm and range for second too.

Not saying he’s superior to Madrigal, just that he doesn’t even make their Top 10 whereas Madrigal is 3-4 in our system.

That's because people are relying on scouting info + performance whereas this guy just performed out of nowhere and scouts are catching up.

I hope he does well.

Mannn I did not notice that Luzardo was ranked top 15 by pipeline.

That rumored 2016-17 offseason trade to the Nats that was nixed by ownership for Drew Waters and Jesus Luzardo is definitely one that got away.

I'm also a bit surprised how high pipeline is on carter kieboom. That will always be an easy hypothetical vs. burdi in years to come.

On 1/29/2019 at 3:27 PM, caulfield12 said:

He did start 50 games at SS, so it seems the guy has the arm and range for second too.

Not saying he’s superior to Madrigal, just that he doesn’t even make their Top 10 whereas Madrigal is 3-4 in our system.

Seems like fan graphs auto ranks players at easier positions if they don't  think they will stick, did the same with Collins.

Edited by dominik-keul@gmx.de