2019 breakout candidates

Dominikk85

Which prospects could have a breakout next year?

I think nick madrigal with a healthy wrist and a few pounds more could hit 8-10 homers next season.

Another guy would be Steele walker, he has a decent swing and was conaidered a polished college bat. He too had injury struggles with an oblique strain which might have robbed him batspeed.

1 minute ago, dominik-keul@gmx.de said:

Which prospects could have a breakout next year?

I think nick madrigal with a healthy wrist and a few pounds more could hit 8-10 homers next season.

Another guy would be Steele walker, he has a decent swing and was conaidered a polished college bat. He too had injury struggles with an oblique strain which might have robbed him batspeed.

Yeah it’s hard because a lot of those guys have their potential baked into their rankings.  I hope Pilkington and Steiver have good years. Obviously Bush and Sosa are primed to legitimize last year.

Id say biggest jumps are possible from Nunez and Zangari, and a good showing from Mendick could make him a real depth piece.

Hopeful for guys like Guerrero, Coronado and K Sanchez to show a bit more statistically this year. 

6 hours ago, southsider2k5 said:

After an injury like that, I am going to guess the opposite, that he is a guy who gets off to a slow start.

I am going to say Luis Gonzalez out of the more well known guys, and out of the others, this is Curbelo's year to breakout.

Weil Gonzalez broke already out last year.

Hope burger can come back but sceptical after two achilles injuries. Same goes for some injured pitchers, generally hoping for better health which was the biggest bad issue of the sox farm last year- just tons of injuries.

No one has said Jimmy Lambert yet, so I guess I'll go with the Sox players who have all picked him to watch out for in 2019.

But excluding Lambert, Jonathan Stiever is a guy I will take from the pitching side, and I'll take Gavin Sheets from the hitting side.

Sheets just seems like a guy who could suddenly learn how to add loft to his swing and explode. He hit .293 last year, with a 10.5% walk rate and only a 16.3% strikeout rate. Only 6 HR, which is weird for a profile like his, but he did have 28 doubles. Maybe that's just a good college hitter pounding A+ ball, but his offensive profile strikes me as one that could suddenly click.

Edited by ChiliIrishHammock24
  • Like 1

17 hours ago, ChiliIrishHammock24 said:

No one has said Jimmy Lambert yet, so I guess I'll go with the Sox players who have all picked him to watch out for in 2019.

But excluding Lambert, Jonathan Stiever is a guy I will take from the pitching side, and I'll take Gavin Sheets from the hitting side.

Sheets just seems like a guy who could suddenly learn how to add loft to his swing and explode. He hit .293 last year, with a 10.5% walk rate and only a 16.3% strikeout rate. Only 6 HR, which is weird for a profile like his, but he did have 28 doubles. Maybe that's just a good college hitter pounding A+ ball, but his offensive profile strikes me as one that could suddenly click.

I was gonna pick Lambert on the pitching side. Going with Curbelo with the bat.