Jump to content
NorthSideSox72

FS Roundtable: The Writers defend their high/low ranks (and reveal personal T30s here)

Recommended Posts

The FutureSox Top 30 Prospects list isn't from one person, it comes from votes and arguments from the FS writing staff. And some people had some players ranked quite differently than others. Here is a roundtable where some of the writers pick one player they were higher than the crowd on, and one they were lower on, and explain their thoughts.

Also, this thread can work as a good opportunity to list their own T30's...

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

And in the interest of openness, here is my personal Top 30:

1    Eloy Jimenez
2    Michael Kopech
3    Luis Robert
4    Nick Madrigal
5    Dylan Cease
6    Dane Dunning
7    Micker Adolfo
8    Zack Collins
9    Luis Alex Basabe
10    Alec Hansen
11    Luis Gonzalez
12    Blake Rutherford
13    Seby Zavala
14    Jake Burger
15    Zack Burdi
16    Jordan Stephens
17    Steele Walker
18    Gavin Sheets
19    Ian Hamilton
20    Tyler Johnson
21    Laz Rivera
22    Bernardo Flores
23    Jimmy Lambert
24    Luis Curbelo
25    Jonathan Stiever
26    Bryce Bush
27    Konnor Pilkington
28    Spencer Adams
29    Lenyn Sosa
30    Zach Thompson

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, NorthSideSox72 said:

And in the interest of openness, here is my personal Top 30:

1    Eloy Jimenez
2    Michael Kopech
3    Luis Robert
4    Nick Madrigal
5    Dylan Cease
6    Dane Dunning
7    Micker Adolfo
8    Zack Collins
9    Luis Alex Basabe
10    Alec Hansen
11    Luis Gonzalez
12    Blake Rutherford
13    Seby Zavala
14    Jake Burger
15    Zack Burdi
16    Jordan Stephens
17    Steele Walker
18    Gavin Sheets
19    Ian Hamilton
20    Tyler Johnson
21    Laz Rivera
22    Bernardo Flores
23    Jimmy Lambert
24    Luis Curbelo
25    Jonathan Stiever
26    Bryce Bush
27    Konnor Pilkington
28    Spencer Adams
29    Lenyn Sosa
30    Zach Thompson

 

You the real MVP ❤️ 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My personal top 30 is below:  

1. Eloy Jimenez OF

2. Michael Kopech RHP

3. Dylan Cease RHP

4. Luis Robert OF

5. Nick Madrigal INF

6. Dane Dunning RHP

7. Zack Collins C 

8. Micker Adolfo OF

9. Luis Alexander Basabe OF

10. Alec Hansen RHP 

11. Luis Gonzalez OF

12. Blake Rutherford OF

13. Steele Walker OF

14. Jake Burger INF

15. Zack Burdi RHRP

16. Seby Zavala C

17. Jordan Stephens RHP

18. Gavin Sheets 1B

19. Ian Hamilton RHRP

20. Tyler Johnson RHRP

21. Jimmy Lambert RHP

22. Konnor Pilkington LHP

23. Bryce Bush INF

24.  Lenyn Sosa INF

25. Kodi Medeiros LHP

26. Jonathan Stiever RHP

27. Spencer Adams RHP

28. Bernardo Flores LHP

29. Luis Curbelo INF

30. Laz Rivera INF 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, whitesoxwinner said:

It's weird to see everybody on this website so low on Blake Rutherford

If you read the snippet in the Top 30 article, you will see why.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/25/2019 at 1:54 PM, whitesoxwinner said:

It's weird to see everybody on this website so low on Blake Rutherford

I don't think being #11 in such a top heavy system is so bad actually. Granted I don't study prospects like our wonderful Future Sox guys do but I like the kid. I think his hit tool is advanced.He's still pretty young and was 1.5 years younger than his competition. He hasn't shown the power yet but that doesn't concern me because the potential for more is there given his age and build. The other knock is he might not be a CF and if the power doesn't come and he ends up a corner that hurts him.

Some think he might be exposed moving to a pitchers park but in my eyes we may  see just how good that hit tool plays in a bigger ball park and it still wouldn't concern me about his power there because he will still be very young.

Someone like Christian Yelich basically has the same build as Rutherford and he didn't start hitting for more power until he was in the big leagues for a few years when he physically matured and knew the league better. He also is a corner OF and he made it on his hit tool which was a bit more advanced than Rutherford's. The more cynical may comp him to Ryan Sweeney.

The fault in my analysis is although I am able to project players moving forward I also am more results oriented which I suppose isn't the best way to critique prospects especially if they have nagging injuries and play through them . I also don't care about results in the lowest levels. Therefore guys like Basabe , Collins and Hansen get downgraded in my eyes because of their issues especially Collins who as far as I can tell only walks and hits HR's. Basabe has phenomenal skills both offensively and defensively and is also very young . I'm just afraid because he's on the 40 already he might not be ready yet to be pushed considering his rising K totals and the time it takes him to adjust to each level he advances.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

I don't think being #11 in such a top heavy system is so bad actually. Granted I don't study prospects like our wonderful Future Sox guys do but I like the kid. I think his hit tool is advanced.He's still pretty young and was 1.5 years younger than his competition. He hasn't shown the power yet but that doesn't concern me because the potential for more is there given his age and build. The other knock is he might not be a CF and if the power doesn't come and he ends up a corner that hurts him.

Some think he might be exposed moving to a pitchers park but in my eyes we may  see just how good that hit tool plays in a bigger ball park and it still wouldn't concern me about his power there because he will still be very young.

Someone like Christian Yelich basically has the same build as Rutherford and he didn't start hitting for more power until he was in the big leagues for a few years when he physically matured and knew the league better. He also is a corner OF and he made it on his hit tool which was a bit more advanced than Rutherford's. The more cynical may comp him to Ryan Sweeney.

The fault in my analysis is although I am able to project players moving forward I also am more results oriented which I suppose isn't the best way to critique prospects especially if they have nagging injuries and play through them . I also don't care about results in the lowest levels. Therefore guys like Basabe , Collins and Hansen get downgraded in my eyes because of their issues especially Collins who as far as I can tell only walks and hits HR's. Basabe has phenomenal skills both offensively and defensively and is also very young . I'm just afraid because he's on the 40 already he might not be ready yet to be pushed considering his rising K totals and the time it takes him to adjust to each level he advances.

My issue with Rutherford is that he's a corner outfielder and I don't think he'll hit for enough power. I think the ballpark at Birmingham is going to do bad things to him. I obviously hope I'm wrong. He'll be 22 in May. My problem with a Yelich comp is that Yelich put a 118 wRC+ in the majors when he was Rutherford's age. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×