Anybody else already miss Hawk?

ron883

4 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

As has been said before, replace the phrase "too PC" with "treating people who are different with you with respect" and you will understand why Greg is so outraged by this.

Not exactly correct. Ozzie said Castro was a good guy and all that stuff that got him in trouble in Miami. That has nothing to do with treating people different with respect. It's making a dumb statement considered politically incorrect. Case closed. Because of his Castro statements he'll never get a managing job again. Again, the country is too PC. And who says I'm outraged? Where did that come from. I happen to love a former Sox manager who won a WS and a former SS who I loved watching play. Where's the controversy? I'm praising a White Sox great and I'm the bad guy. No need to bait me any more. That's my final comment on Oz til somebody brings him up again in another thread as always happens.

Edited by greg775

1 hour ago, Balta1701 said:

As has been said before, replace the phrase "too PC" with "treating people who are different with you with respect" and you will understand why Greg is so outraged by this.

Ozzie calls Mariotti a f** and all of the sudden he can't get a job nowhere. A damn good manager is not managing right now because people are too sensitive. 

I remember the days when winning was the one and only priority in sports. It was better back then. We need a commissioner that will Make the MLB Great Again

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, ron883 said:

Ozzie calls Mariotti a f** and all of the sudden he can't get a job nowhere. A damn good manager is not managing right now because people are too sensitive. 

I remember the days when winning was the one and only priority in sports. It was better back then. We need a commissioner that will Make the MLB Great Again

He can’t get a job because he literally quit on a team and then was bad in his next job. Not to mention the game is far past his style. It’s not that complicated, quit trying to make it something it’s not. 

Edited by mqr
  • Like 5

I might prefer Hawk to Benetti. Hawk has a passionate interest for Sox games that Benetti could never approach. Jason tries to lure Stone in on his curious  tangents which always seem to crash in a baseball cul-de-sac. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, ron883 said:

Oh yes, I remember how the Mariotti incident stopped Ozzie from working with the Sox or getting hired by the Marlins

I think Hawk is one of those things that people will miss more and more as time goes on. Right now some are happy he's gone because they're sick of him, but I think they'll begin to miss him at some point. Benetti is fine for what he is but Hawk is a whole different breed of announcer that we don't see anymore.

• Like 2

20 hours ago, Lip Man 1 said:

Can't say that I am. Hawk is around 75 I think, it simply was time to let it go.

Hawk is 77 years old. JR is 82 years old. If its time for Hawk to go, isn't it time for JR to leave the scene also?

On 1/25/2019 at 9:47 PM, BlackSox13 said:

Yeah I miss hawk too. I still get sad when I think about him saying goodbye in his last game. Can't imagine how difficult it was for him to decide to retire after all these years.

Finding out what his day to day travel was, I can't imagine it was really that difficult of a decision even with his love for the organization and sport.  Getting home at 3am after a 7pm previous day start?  GTFOH

• Thanks 3

On 1/26/2019 at 5:08 AM, pcq said:

I might prefer Hawk to Benetti. Hawk has a passionate interest for Sox games that Benetti could never approach. Jason tries to lure Stone in on his curious  tangents which always seem to crash in a baseball cul-de-sac. 

I might miss 1995 Hawk a little bit but Benetti is just leagues above 2017 Hawk. By the end you had to mute White Sox road games because Hawk was that bad.

And Jason and Steve are already improving.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Lip Man 1 said:

You won't get an argument from me on that score, but it's not going to happen.

Our long suffering fan base is in desperate need of the kind of excitement infusion a new ownership brings.  New vision, new strategy, new everything.  Get this organization out of the deep rut the current owner has had it in for way too long now. 

Os

On ‎1‎/‎25‎/‎2019 at 11:19 PM, greg775 said:

Not exactly correct. Ozzie said Castro was a good guy and all that stuff that got him in trouble in Miami. That has nothing to do with treating people different with respect. It's making a dumb statement considered politically incorrect. Case closed. Because of his Castro statements he'll never get a managing job again. Again, the country is too PC. And who says I'm outraged? Where did that come from. I happen to love a former Sox manager who won a WS and a former SS who I loved watching play. Where's the controversy? I'm praising a White Sox great and I'm the bad guy. No need to bait me any more. That's my final comment on Oz til somebody brings him up again in another thread as always happens.

The trouble with Ozzie was that he had no idea what the political climate was in Miami and couldn't handle the backlash when it happened. That was a not a case of PC. It was a case of someone not knowing or understanding history.  I think the reaction to his comments were over the top but that's how it is in Southern Florida. If he said that when he was managing the Sox, he would have gotten away with it. 

I don't know why he isn't managing elsewhere. Saying one unpopular thing shouldn't have done it. I know I don't want him managing the Sox again.

If Ozzie wants to make peace with Sox fans, I'm fine with that. But it is time to move on. Same with Hawk.

• Like 1

On 1/26/2019 at 1:34 AM, BlackSox13 said:

Yes, because Ozzie is such a great manager and good person that no  teams are interested in hiring him to manage their club. He quit on his team, fuck Ozzie.

It seems like people don’t remember at all what Ozzie was like in 2009-2011 and especially the circus with his kids.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Kyyle23 said:

Finding out what his day to day travel was, I can't imagine it was really that difficult of a decision even with his love for the organization and sport.  Getting home at 3am after a 7pm previous day start?  GTFOH

Good point kyyle, at Hawks age the decision was probably easier than I thought.

21 minutes ago, bmags said:

It seems like people don’t remember at all what Ozzie was like in 2009-2011 and especially the circus with his kids.

I don't know how anyone could forget that. I think some prefer to ignore it like it never happened. I swear Deadpool's phrase "shit show" was inspired by The Show 2010.