Cuban SS Yolbert Sanchez Can Sign Tuesday

Y2Jimmy0

21 year old Cuban SS Yolbert Sanchez is the latest defection that can sign as early as tomorrow. I think he will probably end up in Baltimore because they can pay him well over $5 million. The White Sox are mentioned as an interested team if he waits until July 2nd though. 

https://www.mlb.com/news/yolbert-sanchez-soon-eligible-to-sign/c-303499974?tid=282421090

33 minutes ago, Y2Jimmy0 said:

21 year old Cuban SS Yolbert Sanchez is the latest defection that can sign as early as tomorrow. I think he will probably end up in Baltimore because they can pay him well over $5 million. The White Sox are mentioned as an interested team if he waits until July 2nd though. 

https://www.mlb.com/news/yolbert-sanchez-soon-eligible-to-sign/c-303499974?tid=282421090

Have you heard anything about sox and j2 players this year?

1 hour ago, bmags said:

Have you heard anything about sox and j2 players this year?

Nope. Patiently waiting. Badler usually has something in February. On our podcast though, Hahn made it seem like they'd have multiple additions. They should have roughly $5 million to spend. 

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, soxfan2014 said:

If that prices the Orioles out of their price range, what are they going to spend the money on exactly? That organization is going to suck for a long time.

It doesn't say that. It says Baltimore is the only team that can do that. That's not really true though either. Teams can still trade for available funds in this period. 

5 minutes ago, Y2Jimmy0 said:

It doesn't say that. It says Baltimore is the only team that can do that. That's not really true though either. Teams can still trade for available funds in this period. 

Oh shit you're right. Opposite of what I said. Month-end close is the death of me today.

But my comment about them sucking for a long time still stands lol

Edited by soxfan2014

6 minutes ago, soxfan2014 said:

Oh shit you're right. Opposite of what I said. Month-end close is the death of me today.

But my comment about them sucking for a long time still stands lol

So basically someone guaranteed him $2 million if he waits until the next period. 29 teams don't have that amount of $$ left in current signing period. Baltimore has like $5 million. They can also get him to the majors quickly. I think he probably goes to the Orioles. People don't turn down money. That's what separates us from the animals. 

Jesse again putting it out there Sox are in it if he waits until July. I find that interesting if just because it shows we might have $2mil or more still uncommitted. Either that or we really like him and would be willing to trade for more space.

25 minutes ago, GenericUserName said:

Jesse again putting it out there Sox are in it if he waits until July. I find that interesting if just because it shows we might have $2mil or more still uncommitted. Either that or we really like him and would be willing to trade for more space.

That is disappointing.  We have had two years to prepare for this year.

1 hour ago, southsider2k5 said:

That is disappointing.  We have had two years to prepare for this year.

It's not disappointing if they think they have a real shot at Yolbert and enough so that they are willing to hold off on $2M worth of commitments to get him. It's only disappointing if they don't get him and also don't use that $2M on a different big fish.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, ChiliIrishHammock24 said:

It's not disappointing if they think they have a real shot at Yolbert and enough so that they are willing to hold off on $2M worth of commitments to get him. It's only disappointing if they don't get him and also don't use that $2M on a different big fish.

They should already have them locked up. 

15 minutes ago, oldsox said:

Eternal optimist.

The process of getting most of the top kids starts when they are 13/14/15 years old.  They aren't agreeing to sign right before July 1.  A lot of times they are signed months to years in advance.  The Sox would have an almost set idea of what they are spending on July 2, and if they still have a couple of million left after having two full years to focus on this year, it isn't good.

30 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

The process of getting most of the top kids starts when they are 13/14/15 years old.  They aren't agreeing to sign right before July 1.  A lot of times they are signed months to years in advance.  The Sox would have an almost set idea of what they are spending on July 2, and if they still have a couple of million left after having two full years to focus on this year, it isn't good.

Hahn told us that they have commitments. I don't think this is an issue. 

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

Totally agree. 

I know I'm a broken record on this front, but the rules of int'l signings were bent to a team like the white sox's favor in the last CBA. This is the first year of it out of the penalty box, it would be so disheartening if we end up with 6-7 guys, none in the top 30, and did not spend our allotted amount.

31 minutes ago, Y2Jimmy0 said:

Hahn told us that they have commitments. I don't think this is an issue. 

Having commitments and having ~two million dollars still open isn't mutually exclusive.  This just means that the Sox have $3 million-ish or less in commitments (their allotment last year was just under $5m, so guessing it isn't too far above that this year), which as I said before, when you have had two years to focus on ONLY this market (no $300k+ signings for the last two years allowed) isn't comforting to me.

27 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

Having commitments and having ~two million dollars still open isn't mutually exclusive.  This just means that the Sox have $3 million-ish or less in commitments (their allotment last year was just under $5m, so guessing it isn't too far above that this year), which as I said before, when you have had two years to focus on ONLY this market (no $300k+ signings for the last two years allowed) isn't comforting to me.

Ok. I don't disagree with you. I'd just prefer to wait.