Sox Therapy Thread-Enter at your own risk

Jack Parkman

What is going to be the statute of limitations on JR/Hahn complaints if they don’t sign either player?

25 years?  50 years?

Will some fans somehow find a way to still blame KW?

If the Yankees/Padres get him with a two year opt out, that’s about the only way there will be anything resembling a positive spin to it, and that’s going to still be a relatively hollow one because it will mean they weren’t willing to sweeten the overall contract enough to get him to extend the opt out to the 3-4 year range.  And then having to live with all those veteran guys who are NOT Machado struggling in another development year.  

2 hours ago, caulfield12 said:

What is going to be the statute of limitations on JR/Hahn complaints if they don’t sign either player?

25 years?  50 years?

Will some fans somehow find a way to still blame KW?

If the Yankees/Padres get him with a two year opt out, that’s about the only way there will be anything resembling a positive spin to it, and that’s going to still be a relatively hollow one because it will mean they weren’t willing to sweeten the overall contract enough to get him to extend the opt out to the 3-4 year range.  And then having to live with all those veteran guys who are NOT Machado struggling in another development year.  

You think there will be a limit? Ha!

Opt outs don't bother me very much.  It's a sign of the times.  Even with a two year opt out, his next two years should be among his better years stat-wise, unless he has gained 25 pounds in the last 2 months.  If his market value goes up, which it probably won't, Sox will still have the ability to pay the additional freight.

• 4 weeks later...

Reminding Everyone that this thread exists. I had a feeling it would be needed. Please use it and let the other threads be about actual baseball discussion. If you want to b**** about Machado, Harper, the FO and Uncle Jerry being Scrooge McDuck, do it here 

Edited by Jack Parkman

Ok, I need to get something out that popped into my head while driving around today and this seems to be the best place to post it.  When the White Sox went after Luis Robert they did what they had to do to pay what was necessary to land him.  I commend them for that, Robert is a true multi tool player who could be phenomenal.   The thing is he is a young international player, players who will always have an inherent risk of turning into not much at all.  Look at all the detractors on Moncada and he was somewhat seen as a can't miss player (For the record, I do think Moncada will have a nice career but I digress).  The Sox were willing to invest in Robert as well as paying extra with the penalty...but they are not willing to pay the going rate for 26 year old top free agents, one of which is an absolute marketable superstar who could change the face of the ballclub?  I am sorry, I just do not understand that.

Oh, and once again...Kenny just shut up!!!

• Like 1

Sox needs:

Talent evaluators

Talent development

These are their main issues.  They can't sustain winning because they have a severe lack of major league level talent.  Stopgap veterans and other roster placeholders are too prevalent with the Sox and that has been the case for years now.  I think the FO is a bit too comfy in their positions which is denying the cultural changes needed in the organization.  The Sox seem to be more interested in the status quo then they are competing at a major league level.  This observation is evidenced by their remarks regarding the recent FA fiasco and their willingness to spin positivity instead of calling a piece of crap a piece of crap.

4 minutes ago, Worldbreaker Palk said:

Sox needs:

Talent evaluators

Talent development

These are their main issues.  They can't sustain winning because they have a severe lack of major league level talent.  Stopgap veterans and other roster placeholders are too prevalent with the Sox and that has been the case for years now.  I think the FO is a bit too comfy in their positions which is denying the cultural changes needed in the organization.  The Sox seem to be more interested in the status quo then they are competing at a major league level.  This observation is evidenced by their remarks regarding the recent FA fiasco and their willingness to spin positivity instead of calling a piece of crap a piece of crap.

I agree wholeheartedly and I'd also add in more investment into data/analytics. I don't know how much they use, but listening to KW over the years I don't think they actually have a decent analytics dept, and I'm pretty sure it isn't at the level of the A's and Rays, which is where it needs to be if they're going to continue to operate under financial constraints. Maybe the Sox were too stubborn on data for too long and they'll always be behind, which would suck. The Rays have been doing it for a decade and the A's have been doing it since roughly 2000-01 so I'd understand why they're better at it. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

6 hours ago, Jack Parkman said:

I agree wholeheartedly and I'd also add in more investment into data/analytics. I don't know how much they use, but listening to KW over the years I don't think they actually have a decent analytics dept, and I'm pretty sure it isn't at the level of the A's and Rays, which is where it needs to be if they're going to continue to operate under financial constraints. Maybe the Sox were too stubborn on data for too long and they'll always be behind, which would suck. The Rays have been doing it for a decade and the A's have been doing it since roughly 2000-01 so I'd understand why they're better at it. 

The word I heard back in the day was that the Sox organization was one of the last to operate in the old school style.  That's why KW thinks it's "cool" that he and Harper "clicked"...  When KW's run at GM was nearing it's end there were apparently a lot of teams vying for the services of Rick Hahn.  He is our analytics guy, at least that's what I heard. 

1 hour ago, Worldbreaker Palk said:

The word I heard back in the day was that the Sox organization was one of the last to operate in the old school style.  That's why KW thinks it's "cool" that he and Harper "clicked"...  When KW's run at GM was nearing it's end there were apparently a lot of teams vying for the services of Rick Hahn.  He is our analytics guy, at least that's what I heard. 

That is true and Reinsdorf paid him well as an asst. GM.

On 2/5/2019 at 7:27 PM, caulfield12 said:

25 years?  50 years?

If and when Machado gets hurt, ditto Harper, the complaints will stop. Most free agents are NOT worth the $$$ obviously. It takes no genius to see that. How many times do we laugh at Tigers "being stuck" with contract of Miggy? I am not in favor of mega deals. I want the regular free agents. The only thing that angered me about Manny/Harper is the Sox perpetrated a lie on both. They had no interest in signing either for realistic money, folks.