Ricketts racist emails

35thstreetswarm

It's always fun to see the Cubs crapped on, but I literally could not care less about this. This guy is the father of the Cubs owners. He has no role in the franchise. But it is fun to see the media pivot back and forth between "this was obtained via nefarious means, so we should ignore it" and "Yay leaks!" depending on the source.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

4 minutes ago, Roughneck said:

It's always fun to see the Cubs crapped on, but I literally could not care less about this. This guy is the father of the Cubs owners. He has no role in the franchise. But it is fun to see the media pivot back and forth between "this was obtained via nefarious means, so we should ignore it" and "Yay leaks!" depending on the source.

Pretty much where I'm at. The "what can I be offended by today" crowd in full force.  lol...agree with your last line.  Hey...maybe the Cardinals...or White Sox are colluding with the Russians.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

8 minutes ago, Roughneck said:

He is the reason his son owns the Cubs. I think it also interesting that they are planning a partnership with Sinclair Broadcasting.

3 minutes ago, Tony said:

In October 2009, a trust that Joe and Marlene Ricketts established on behalf of their family acquired a 95-percent controlling interest in Major League Baseball’s Chicago Cubs and Wrigley Field, as well as 25 percent of Comcast Sportsnet Chicago.

https://www.joericketts.com/about/

Right, but he has no role currently, right? If he does, it's a problem. If not, it's a nothing story.

11 minutes ago, The Sir said:

They’re simple thoughts from an old man. Whatever.

How many people were murdered in Chicago this weekend?

Where’s the outrage about that?

Whataboutism (noun)

The technique or practice of responding to an accusation or difficult question by making a counter-accusation or raising a different issue

https://en.oxforddictionaries.com/definition/whataboutism

• Like 7
  • Love 1

17 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

Just as a friendly reminder, it would be very easy to cross the line from a baseball story to politics here.  Let's avoid that and personal attacks that inevitably come from those two things?  K Tnx, bye.

Might as well shut down this thread. An article about horrible statements made by the Cubs owner is getting defended on a White Sox board. 

I guess racist emails are cool if the guy is a big donor.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Soxbadger said:

Might as well shut down this thread. An article about horrible statements made by the Cubs owner is getting defended on a White Sox board. 

I guess racist emails are cool if the guy is a big donor.

I am sure it will happen soon enough.

56 minutes ago, Wanne said:

Pretty much where I'm at. The "what can I be offended by today" crowd in full force.  lol...agree with your last line.  Hey...maybe the Cardinals...or White Sox are colluding with the Russian.

So you're cool with the Cubs owner thinking that the deaths of minorities are punchlines?

Every Hispanic player on the Cubs, who Ricketts has no problem profiting off of, should be outraged.

In terms of a Cubs story it's basically nothing. What if Jerry Reinsdorf's dad said a racist comment? He'd be like 125 years old so it'd be amazing, but lets say he was alive and said something racist? It's not a Cubs story at all. Also I think it's pretty well known that the older generation may have more of a tendency to be racist in many regards than the younger generations. We have more access to information and cultures than ever before. All you can do is learn and grow. Take this as another step towards growth.

On my 0-10 scale of shock and being offended by this story .. I sit at a 1.2

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, BrianAnderson said:

In terms of a Cubs story it's basically nothing. What if Jerry Reinsdorf's dad said a racist comment? He'd be like 125 years old so it'd be amazing, but lets say he was alive and said something racist? It's not a Cubs story at all. Also I think it's pretty well known that the older generation may have more of a tendency to be racist in many regards than the younger generations. We have more access to information and cultures than ever before. All you can do is learn and grow. Take this as another step towards growth.

On my 0-10 scale of shock and being offended by this story .. I sit at a 1.2

Well, Joe is still an owner, so there is some difference. He's profiting.

6 minutes ago, Quin said:

So you're cool with the Cubs owner thinking that the deaths of minorities are punchlines?

Every Hispanic player on the Cubs, who Ricketts has no problem profiting off of, should be outraged.

don't put fuckin words in my mouth.  I'm thinking some old man (regardless who he is) forwards some goofy ass chain emails I should be offended? I'm thinking meh is what I'm thinking.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3