FS: A Top 30 Prospects Sub-plot: The outfield 5-pack

NorthSideSox72

Nice article, I would rank the guys in the same exact order.  To me, Adolfo & Basabe are a step above the others at the moment.  Both have tremendous upside and loud tools.  I really like Gonzalez, but need to see how he responds to AA.  With a strong showing, he could pass those other two assuming he can stick in CF.

3 hours ago, NorthSideSox72 said:

How would you rank the five?

I never know how to rank guys. Should it be based on raw talent? Should it be based on a higher ceiling? Should it be based on who is more likely to contribute to the major league squad at some point? 

I am going to rank them the following way:  If I woke up tomorrow and found out one of them has been traded, who would I be most upset about?  Here is my list:

1. Luis Gonzalez

2. Micker Adolfo

3. Blake Rutherford

4. Luis Basabe

5. Steele Walker

1 minute ago, SoxBlanco said:

I never know how to rank guys. Should it be based on raw talent? Should it be based on a higher ceiling? Should it be based on who is more likely to contribute to the major league squad at some point? 

I am going to rank them the following way:  If I woke up tomorrow and found out one of them has been traded, who would I be most upset about?  Here is my list:

1. Luis Gonzalez

2. Micker Adolfo

3. Blake Rutherford

4. Luis Basabe

5. Steele Walker

Good post. We discuss these topic at length when finalizing FutureSox lists. I put Adolfo first because he has the highest ceiling by far and I don't think it's close. I put Basabe next because of proximity to majors and he can play CF. I have Gonzalez 3rd. He's older than Rutherford but he can play CF and has shown more power. Rutherford holds steady at 4 for me but if you believe Walker can play CF then I would understand Rutherford being 5th. Those are the same things I look at. 

6 hours ago, NorthSideSox72 said:

Our Ken takes a look at five outfield prospects in the White Sox system who are all crammed into the 7 to 15 range of the Top 30. Includes ranks by not just our own but other services too, and talks about ceilings/floors and trajectories.

How would you rank the five?

Basabe, Adolfo, Rutherford, Gonzalez, Walker

3 hours ago, Cashman said:

Rutherford needs to tap into his power, otherwise he is gonna have a ceiling of a 4th OF unless he plays lights out CF defense.

If he could play even reasonably competent defense in center field at the highest levels, he is a top 100 prospect IMO even without a big bump in power. But right now it looks like he's a corner guy, probably.

3 hours ago, TaylorStSox said:

Highest ceiling: Micker

Highest floor: Gonzalez

Most likely to be an MLB regular: Rutherford. I know people are down on Rutherford, but when I look at his swing, approach and fundamentals, I just see a guy that's going to end up sticking. 

Great post. I feel very similar about all three guys. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, TaylorStSox said:

Highest ceiling: Micker

Highest floor: Gonzalez

Most likely to be an MLB regular: Rutherford. I know people are down on Rutherford, but when I look at his swing, approach and fundamentals, I just see a guy that's going to end up sticking. 

I agree with this, and Basabe will contribute the soonest and has 2nd highest ceiling.