NFL Thread 2019-2020

Landon Collins cleaned out his locker at the Giants facility and if I'm the Bears I am all over pairing him and Eddie Jackson together for the next three seasons in a Chuck Pagano defense.

With Floyd under contract for two more seasons and Massie locked up on a pretty team-friendly deal the Bears biggest off-season needs are kicker, tight end and runningback. And really, the only true NEED they have is kicker. Top to bottom I reckon the Bears have the NFL's best roster. 

The Bears are not without weak spots but I think there is a good argument to be made that making strengths even stronger overall does more to improve an NFL team than trying to patch up weaknesses. It obviously depends on what position and what player, but if I'm the Chicago Bears and I am looking at how to get better this off-season there aren't many options. Got lucky that Pagano came in to replace Fangio but missed out on Hunt. A new kicker will be nice. But they need some oomph, a real marquee acquisition. Collins would be that.

7 hours ago, KiwiSox said:

Landon Collins cleaned out his locker at the Giants facility and if I'm the Bears I am all over pairing him and Eddie Jackson together for the next three seasons in a Chuck Pagano defense.

With Floyd under contract for two more seasons and Massie locked up on a pretty team-friendly deal the Bears biggest off-season needs are kicker, tight end and runningback. And really, the only true NEED they have is kicker. Top to bottom I reckon the Bears have the NFL's best roster. 

The Bears are not without weak spots but I think there is a good argument to be made that making strengths even stronger overall does more to improve an NFL team than trying to patch up weaknesses. It obviously depends on what position and what player, but if I'm the Chicago Bears and I am looking at how to get better this off-season there aren't many options. Got lucky that Pagano came in to replace Fangio but missed out on Hunt. A new kicker will be nice. But they need some oomph, a real marquee acquisition. Collins would be that.

I would love Collins but I don't think he is within the Bears price range.  They are pretty close to the cap because of some of the big contracts on the books and having to eat Parkey money 

There are a lot of safeties available and it should drive the overall price down. If money is the same I expect the Bears would be able to deliver a much better pitch to Collins with the opportunity to get paired with the best safety in the NFL and his former college teammate than Malik Hooker. Plus Pagano has such a good reputation around the league, I think we may be surprised at how attractive the Bears prove to be as a destination.

Bears have to do something to improve beyond getting a new kicker. Looks almost certain Callahan, Lynch and Amos are gone. I dont have a problem with that, I think all of them can be replaced, but the Bears were still a 12-4 team that got bounced in the wild card round. They are not a team that can just make another run at it with the same group next year. The rest of the league is going to get better.

It would be crazy for the Giants to not tag him, unless they think he's going to hold out and it might not be worth the trouble. 

There are 7 teams with over 70 million in cap space.  So I'm sure he will get huge money. 

I bet he gets 13+ per year.

On 2/24/2019 at 4:07 PM, KiwiSox said:

There are a lot of safeties available and it should drive the overall price down. If money is the same I expect the Bears would be able to deliver a much better pitch to Collins with the opportunity to get paired with the best safety in the NFL and his former college teammate than Malik Hooker. Plus Pagano has such a good reputation around the league, I think we may be surprised at how attractive the Bears prove to be as a destination.

Bears have to do something to improve beyond getting a new kicker. Looks almost certain Callahan, Lynch and Amos are gone. I dont have a problem with that, I think all of them can be replaced, but the Bears were still a 12-4 team that got bounced in the wild card round. They are not a team that can just make another run at it with the same group next year. The rest of the league is going to get better.

The Colts aren’t exactly poor nor do they suck. 

Not particularly uncommon. Had to do it with the Bears lurking.

I also think the 49ers are a little sore about getting absolutely robbed by the Bears in a trade everyone at the time thought was a 49ers win. If it were another team after Gould they'd probably let him walk, but the idea of Trubisky having playoff success haunts them.

Edited by KiwiSox

On 2/26/2019 at 4:52 PM, Heads22 said:

The Colts aren’t exactly poor nor do they suck. 

Bears could match what the Colts offer and I'd think the Pagano and Jackson factor could be a tiebreaker in the Bears favor. Really all the Bears would have to do is meet the demands of Collins, these things get done quickly in the NFL.

Bears ask Collins what the wants, then they talk with their cap people and see how it fits with the rest of the off-season plans. If it can work they call Collins people back and say let's make a deal and if it can't work then both parties move on. It won't be a four month nightmare.

57 minutes ago, GoSox05 said:

The Colts could offer him 15 million a year or 18 million. 

What's wrong with Amos?  I thought he was a pretty good player, Bears probably have a more realistic shot at bringing him back.

Amos is fine, lacks ball hawking skills, I think most just want callahan as not having a good slot cb is hell.

I'm sure most have the rams on the mind, who had a surprise season and doubled down with tons of secondary and dline talent, unfortunately with Mack we aren't in that position but I do expect bears to rework a lot and try to add a big player in some capacity.

1 hour ago, bmags said:

Amos is fine, lacks ball hawking skills, I think most just want callahan as not having a good slot cb is hell.

I'm sure most have the rams on the mind, who had a surprise season and doubled down with tons of secondary and dline talent, unfortunately with Mack we aren't in that position but I do expect bears to rework a lot and try to add a big player in some capacity.

The issue is Callahan will likely now want to be the top paid nickel CB in the league, and I believe that will have to be in the $9M/year range. For a nickel corner and a guy who is hurt often, I'm not ready to make that offer. Good player, but I'd take Amos back over Callahan.

3 hours ago, soxfan49 said:

The issue is Callahan will likely now want to be the top paid nickel CB in the league, and I believe that will have to be in the $9M/year range. For a nickel corner and a guy who is hurt often, I'm not ready to make that offer. Good player, but I'd take Amos back over Callahan.

Callahan will not get close to that amount of $$ with his injury history and medical red flags 

11 hours ago, GoSox05 said:

The Colts could offer him 15 million a year or 18 million. 

What's wrong with Amos?  I thought he was a pretty good player, Bears probably have a more realistic shot at bringing him back.

If you aren't getting better in the NFL, you're getting worse. Bears have to be aggressive finding ways to get better and S is one of the few positions where there are clear upgrades available.

12 hours ago, KiwiSox said:

If you aren't getting better in the NFL, you're getting worse. Bears have to be aggressive finding ways to get better and S is one of the few positions where there are clear upgrades available.

There is also a salary cap.  So no matter how much you want to get better and add players, you might not be able to. 

15 minutes ago, KiwiSox said:

Bears situation is not that desperate though. They just lack draft picks.

They have about 11 million in cap space. 

They have about 3 draft picks right now. Not including the 7th rounds ones, because those are nothing you can rely on. 

They probably have to fill about what 8-9 roster spots.  Maybe more.

Not saying they can't do something, but if you do.  You are looking at a team that would be paper thin in depth and would risk losing good players the next two year, without a clear way to replace them.

16 minutes ago, GoSox05 said:

They have about 11 million in cap space. 

They have about 3 draft picks right now. Not including the 7th rounds ones, because those are nothing you can rely on. 

They probably have to fill about what 8-9 roster spots.  Maybe more.

Not saying they can't do something, but if you do.  You are looking at a team that would be paper thin in depth and would risk losing good players the next two year, without a clear way to replace them.

Where would they be paper thin?

OL probably, but I have a feeling that's where they are going to attack with their draft picks. They could use one more WR and probably another RB but I wouldn't call those situations critical. Everywhere else they are loaded.

11 minutes ago, KiwiSox said:

Where would they be paper thin?

OL probably, but I have a feeling that's where they are going to attack with their draft picks. They could use one more WR and probably another RB but I wouldn't call those situations critical. Everywhere else they are loaded.

CB and OL stand out as really bad. 

Possibly safety if they can't bring Amos back.  If they bring him back, it's pretty good.

RB - Howard(who they are trying to trade and Cohen.  Who else?  Cohen isn't really a fulltime RB.

TE - Burton and Shaheen.  Literally no one else.

OLB - Mack and Floyd.  Kylie Fitts?  Sam Acho? 

They have good depth and ILB and DL.

WR is ok, good depth at like slot WR, but nothing really on the outside besides Robinson. 

1 hour ago, GoSox05 said:

CB and OL stand out as really bad. 

Possibly safety if they can't bring Amos back.  If they bring him back, it's pretty good.

RB - Howard(who they are trying to trade and Cohen.  Who else?  Cohen isn't really a fulltime RB.

TE - Burton and Shaheen.  Literally no one else.

OLB - Mack and Floyd.  Kylie Fitts?  Sam Acho? 

They have good depth and ILB and DL.

WR is ok, good depth at like slot WR, but nothing really on the outside besides Robinson. 

They are three, maybe four, deep at CB. I like Toliver II a lot and so do the Bears. Losing Callahan will bite but the reason he is walking is because he is quite expendable with what they have already. There rest is fine.