NFL Thread 2019-2020

I expect the Bears to trade back up into the late-second or early-third round. Some combination of moving Howard plus packaging another pick. So think of Howard + 5.163 for something in the 2.50 to 3.75 range. They need someone a little more dynamic to line up outside and create matchup problems. I love Miller and Cohen's ability to exploit defenses with their route running and hands but they simply do not create offense the way a bonafide matchup nightmare at Y or Z does.

As for free agency I feel even more strongly that the Bears should try and get one very quality piece instead of a quantity of average pieces. They dont have the funds to jump in on Jarrett or Lawrence type players who are truly marquee but they can make it work to bring in Za'darius Smith, Landon Collins or Kwon Alexander. Cap hell is coming no matter what they do so may as well maximize the hell out of this two-year window.

2 hours ago, bmags said:

So this Murray to the Cards thing is real?

I called this months ago I just wish I put it in writing somewhere.

Look at how successful top 10 QB's have been these last three drafts. Only Rosen has looked like a true bust. Front offices are starting to believe that the code has been cracked and that if every year's best crop of QB's are destined for some amount of NFL success. Since nothing makes the NFL more easy-mode than a capable QB on a rookie contract the decision to make Murray seems natural.

Of course I think Darnold, Goff, Watson and Wentz are all not going to make it long-term (to be fair the issues with Wentz and Watson are health and not ability related) and that even this historic run of strong QB drafting is going to suffer a little bit more attrition that cuts it back down to size. 

2 minutes ago, bmags said:

I don't really agree, Rosen was put in by far the worst situation of any QB last year and he had some really nice moments. Has a lot in common with goff/trubisky there. I think he's good.

I like Rosen. Dude can sling it. He had zero weapons and zero talent around him and was a rookie.  I think if someone buys low on him they are winning out. The only downfall is he's going to have to start back over at square one with a new franchise.  If they really look to trade him, I wonder if the Pats would be interested.  Broncos would have been a great fit had they not made their annual QB move already.  

1 minute ago, Chisoxfn said:

I like Rosen. Dude can sling it. He had zero weapons and zero talent around him and was a rookie.  I think if someone buys low on him they are winning out. The only downfall is he's going to have to start back over at square one with a new franchise.  If they really look to trade him, I wonder if the Pats would be interested.  Broncos would have been a great fit had they not made their annual QB move already.  

I get why, but this seems like a gift if you are the Jags, but obviously not if you give up the #7 pick.

If Bears splurge on a player I could see it being justin houston, who has gotten paid and may want more "fit" at end of his career, and it's a big draft class for edge.

Or he'll get paid like 20 mill by the colts.

edit: originally said sox not bears.

1 hour ago, Chisoxfn said:

Rosen is starting over from square one no matter what, maybe being traded will motivate him 

1 hour ago, bmags said:

I don't really agree, Rosen was put in by far the worst situation of any QB last year and he had some really nice moments. Has a lot in common with goff/trubisky there. I think he's good.

Dont like the frame on Rosen and do not think he has Trubisky's arm talent. I really do not think much of Jared Goff, I dont think the Rams do either. He was never the same after he got pasted by the beloved on SNF.

Murray can be a stud. I think he has a much higher likelihood of being a stud than Rosen. If I'm Arizona I know I'm probably not getting the pick of the little again next year so now's the time to make your decision. Ultimately Bosa is still the right pick but I get the logic behind taking Murray and spinning off Rosen. Of course nobody is going to want Rosen.

2 minutes ago, KiwiSox said:

Aaaand Collins is leaving New York. Bears have to be in on the bidding for him, get Eddie on the phone.

Lol this is a pipe dream man, they aren't paying Collins what he is gonna get.  

Just now, Kyyle23 said:

Lol this is a pipe dream man, they aren't paying Collins what he is gonna get.  

Give him a near carbon copy deal of what they gave Robinson. Three years at a good wage that gives him a chance to go wild with Chuck Pagano and Eddie Jackson and get a second go of free agency as a 28 year-old. Cutting Sims and restructuring Long gave them the room to make this work.

It will probably mean dealing Leonard Floyd next off-season rather than paying him his fifth-year option salary. Fine trade-off if you ask me.

17 minutes ago, KiwiSox said:

Give him a near carbon copy deal of what they gave Robinson. Three years at a good wage that gives him a chance to go wild with Chuck Pagano and Eddie Jackson and get a second go of free agency as a 28 year-old. Cutting Sims and restructuring Long gave them the room to make this work.

It will probably mean dealing Leonard Floyd next off-season rather than paying him his fifth-year option salary. Fine trade-off if you ask me.

Cutting sims and restructuring Long was meant to make room for more than one move.  

Look, I would love Collins but you are fooling yourself if you think the bears are gonna blow all of their cap space on him alone

Just now, Kyyle23 said:

Cutting sims and restructuring Long was meant to make room for more than one move.  

Look, I would love Collins but you are fooling yourself if you think the bears are gonna blow all of their cap space on him alone

Rather have one high tier free agent who will step in and make an impact than a handful of mid/low tier free agents who provide little more than redundant depth. Bears have had very good off-season plans lately and their overall strategy since the 2017 off-season has been difficult to fault. I hope they recognize their window for a title is in these next two seasons.

I feel like the Giants are making a huge mistake not even franchising Collins.  Your a rebuilding team, why not keep your young really good safety.  They have cap space.

Not sure the Packers would pay him the money he is going to get, but they should try.

10 minutes ago, GoSox05 said:

I feel like the Giants are making a huge mistake not even franchising Collins.  Your a rebuilding team, why not keep your young really good safety.  They have cap space.

Not sure the Packers would pay him the money he is going to get, but they should try.

Its crazy, that org is a windsock right now.

Heard Raiders may try to pull off an offseason of kyler murray, leveon bell, and antonio brown. It would be a fun circus at least. Definitely an oakland vibe to that group.

7 minutes ago, bmags said:

Its crazy, that org is a windsock right now.

Heard Raiders may try to pull off an offseason of kyler murray, leveon bell, and antonio brown. It would be a fun circus at least. Definitely an oakland vibe to that group.

It definitely would be a Raiders thing to do.  Depending on how good Murray is it might make them a pretty good team.  For like a year before they all killed each other.

They should also draft DK Metcalf, cause I feel like he born to be a Raider.

20 minutes ago, GoSox05 said:

It definitely would be a Raiders thing to do.  Depending on how good Murray is it might make them a pretty good team.  For like a year before they all killed each other.

They should also draft DK Metcalf, cause I feel like he born to be a Raider.

Definitely reminds me of Moss/Rice team