NFL Thread 2019-2020

Just now, GoSox05 said:

So the Bears must be chasing after someone if they are going to take that big cap hit in the next few years.

Bell?

Justin Houston?

Yeah gonna be weird if they just sign cody whitehair, get the cheaper safeties and call it a year.

I'd guess Houston because Bell will have longer term cap issues which the mack situation doesn't clear up.

18 minutes ago, bmags said:

Yeah gonna be weird if they just sign cody whitehair, get the cheaper safeties and call it a year.

I'd guess Houston because Bell will have longer term cap issues which the mack situation doesn't clear up.

I think we're definitely going to try for Houston, a cheaper safety, and a kicker with 25 million in cap space.

1 minute ago, GoSox05 said:

They might still be doing it this year as well.  The only reason they won't is because they are short on cap space.

Not really.  Signing Bell or Thomas wouldn't qualify as both of those guys are great players.   

12 minutes ago, Tony said:

It doesn't seem like you you pull the Mack lever unless you've got something all lined up, and for an impact player. We should find out today I would assume...

Yeah, gonna be exciting.

1 hour ago, Tony said:

From the way I understand it, you just kick the can down the road basically. But it will be paid eventually, and the Bears will find themselves in cap hell at some point. But if that’s in two years from now and they all have rings on, it will be a lot easier to swallow. 

He will be paid earlier, in March actually. But you're right that the signing bonus could be spread over several years, increasing Mack's dead cap the next several years but creating cap space short term.

1 hour ago, LittleHurt05 said:

The NFL salary cap is so confusing, I'm not even gonna pretend to act like I understand what this tweet means.  Other than more salary cap money, I think.

Bears are using a credit card vs. writing a check.

1 hour ago, LittleHurt05 said:

The NFL salary cap is so confusing, I'm not even gonna pretend to act like I understand what this tweet means.  Other than more salary cap money, I think.

It's essentially giving him more guaranteed money in the form of a signing bonus up front.  Signing bonuses are dead money against the cap, but lower the cap hit (ala salary).... Harder to cut the player in the future though.  Not that you'd want to, but you had an out on Mack after Y3, but now it's more realistic that Y4/Y5 is the out.  Kicking the can down the road is a good analogy. 

Edited by Soxnfins

18 minutes ago, Kyyle23 said:

Not really.  Signing Bell or Thomas wouldn't qualify as both of those guys are great players.   

Sure. 

I don't really have any problem overspending for a safety who is only 25 and it's been a position they have had a ton of trouble with. 

7 minutes ago, GoSox05 said:

Sure. 

I don't really have any problem overspending for a safety who is only 25 and it's been a position they have had a ton of trouble with. 

I mean, this is the type of thing that you have looked down your nose on forever. But sure

11 minutes ago, Kyyle23 said:

I mean, this is the type of thing that you have looked down your nose on forever. But sure

Oh, I still think going crazy in free agency is a bad idea.  I have always said that I thought the Packers under Thompson were way to anti-free agency.  I think it's a tool you use to build and just completely ignoring it is dumb.  On the other hand going crazy in it has lead to a lot of bad teams. 

Packers might be going a little crazy this year, but at least they are signing younger players. 

Edited by GoSox05

20 minutes ago, GoSox05 said:

Oh, I still think going crazy in free agency is a bad idea.  I have always said that I thought the Packers under Thompson were way to anti-free agency.  I think it's a tool you use to build and just completely ignoring it is dumb.  On the other hand going crazy in it has lead to a lot of bad teams. 

Packers might be going a little crazy this year, but at least they are signing younger players. 

It's kind of funny that you are trying to prod me on the age of the players signed as it is a mitigating factor in overspending, but the players you threw in my face were 24(Robinson), 26(burton), 27(amukamura) and 25(trevathan) when the bears signed them

and Amukamura signed a 1 year prove it deal before the bears extended him.  ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

2 minutes ago, Kyyle23 said:

It's kind of funny that you are trying to prod me on the age of the players signed as it is a mitigating factor in overspending, but the players you threw in my face were 24(Robinson), 26(burton), 27(amukamura) and 25(trevathan) when the bears signed them

and Amukamura signed a 1 year prove it deal before the bears extended him.  ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

I'm not saying all those signings were awful. 

I was just responding to a tweet that acts like the Bears are now a team that doesn't give big money to good but not great players.  Even though it's what they have done every year until now.

2 minutes ago, GoSox05 said:

I'm not saying all those signings were awful. 

I was just responding to a tweet that acts like the Bears are now a team that doesn't give big money to good but not great players.  Even though it's what they have done every year until now.

The tweet was acting like they have done it every year until now. That's exactly what he was saying and he was happy that is hopefully stopping