NFL Thread 2019-2020

6 minutes ago, GoSox05 said:

Dan Pompei said on the radio this morning that Clinton-Dix would be an upgrade over Amos. 

I wonder if he has ever watched them play before.

Spoiler alert: he has

I listened to it also, they have been saying that Haha would be an upgrade because he is a ballhawk and Amos isn't, and he won't have to worry about covering as long because the bears have a much better pass rush.   Amos is awesome at run support, he is just ok at pass coverage.  Seems like haha is awful at run support and decent to good at pass coverage(I know he gets burned, I have seen the videos)

35 minutes ago, Kyyle23 said:

Spoiler alert: he has

I listened to it also, they have been saying that Haha would be an upgrade because he is a ballhawk and Amos isn't, and he won't have to worry about covering as long because the bears have a much better pass rush.   Amos is awesome at run support, he is just ok at pass coverage.  Seems like haha is awful at run support and decent to good at pass coverage(I know he gets burned, I have seen the videos)

He is actually really bad at both run stopping at pass coverage. He just takes the worst angles, I don't know what happened to him. 

Early in his career I thought he was going to be really good.  Last two years and last year especially he was so bad.  I like him, he seems like a cool dude and good locker room guy.  He just got so bad the past two years.

I'll take this over a player who has three or four INT, but also gives up a ton of big plays.

Edited by GoSox05

I'd like Haha more if Fangio was still here. He has a very good tendency to mask weaknesses on certain players. There's a reason Haha was drafted so high though. The talent is there. Just not sure if Pagano is the guy to help him unleash it. 

3 hours ago, GoSox05 said:

He is actually really bad at both run stopping at pass coverage. He just takes the worst angles, I don't know what happened to him. 

Early in his career I thought he was going to be really good.  Last two years and last year especially he was so bad.  I like him, he seems like a cool dude and good locker room guy.  He just got so bad the past two years.

I'll take this over a player who has three or four INT, but also gives up a ton of big plays.

Amos is fine as a cleanup safety. But when he was given more responsibility and more ground to cover with Eddie Jackson out, he was definitely exposed. Especially in the second half of the playoff game against the Eagles. There were 3-4 instances where a safety with better instincts and speed could have made numerous huge stops for the Bears in Amos' position. Instead, Amos kept a Eagles TD drive alive with a late hit penalty (because of the fact he has limited range) and allowed the final TD drive to continue by not even looking at Alshon Jeffrey on a third and medium conversion. I think there's a reason why the Broncos and Bears passed on him even though he got a pretty reasonable deal in the grand scheme of things. 

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, SoxAce said:

I'd like Haha more if Fangio was still here. He has a very good tendency to mask weaknesses on certain players. There's a reason Haha was drafted so high though. The talent is there. Just not sure if Pagano is the guy to help him unleash it. 

Pagano played strong safety came up as a DB coach and is known for helping DBs excel.

3 minutes ago, Tony said:

Yeah, the one year deal part is probably the best part. I want to see the terms and see what else they can do this offseason, but this should be an OK stopgap. 

Good plan for one year. A veteran to play in a competitive year while they groom the rookie they take in the draft.  Much less likely to have big mistakes in the secomdary.

Was hoping they roll the dice on Berry but HHCD will do. Can’t complain about the price at all. By my calculation they still have about $13.5M cap space (more if you count Top 51).

I wonderful if Houston is next or they are looking to trade for a contract with a team trying to free up space.

7 hours ago, GoSox05 said:

As I've said many times, whether it's HHCD or Amos, they were going to be one of the 2 or 3 worst players on the defense. It's about not being a complete fuck up out there and everything will be fine.

As for PFF, that website is nonsense and anyone who trusts those "scouting reports" and "game recaps" are just as goofy.

4 minutes ago, soxfan49 said:

As I've said many times, whether it's HHCD or Amos, they were going to be one of the 2 or 3 worst players on the defense. It's about not being a complete fuck up out there and everything will be fine.

As for PFF, that website is nonsense and anyone who trusts those "scouting reports" and "game recaps" are just as goofy.

I think it correct. It just depends on which style you prefer, the safe no big plays either way or the risky big play turnover and give up a few big plays. Both have 5heir positives and negatives. 

8 minutes ago, soxfan49 said:

It's a tool for measuring players.  Just like reports by Football Outsiders. 

It's not the end all be all, but I haven't seen anyone say it's complete nonsense.

INT are like sacks, they only tell part of the story. 

Kyler Fackrell had two less sacks than Khalil Mack, that doesn't mean they are anywhere in the same ballpark as players. 

These players play over 600 snaps.  The difference in talent doesn't come down to a hand full of plays. 

4 hours ago, GoSox05 said:

It's a tool for measuring players.  Just like reports by Football Outsiders. 

It's not the end all be all, but I haven't seen anyone say it's complete nonsense.

At the final second of a game they have complete player by player grades. No write ups, no commentary, just an imaginary grade based on nothing. For this to be possible they'd literally have to employ over 820 people to do this, and so I think it's more of a guess on how they played. Even if they do have that large of a staff, who are the people grading them? Are they professionals? For instance they didn't have Mack as a top 5 NFL defender through the first 6 weeks of the season last year. A few years ago that had Amos as a better SS than Kam Chancellor. It's a joke.

Edited by soxfan49

Aside from Houston, I’d love if Bears could still bring back Callahan. Getting good depth at CB after how healthy they all were last year would be reassuring.

Getting to 2-3 days later you mostly assume the guys will come relatively cheap.

1 minute ago, Tony said:

I'm somewhat surprised Bryce wasn't signed during the initial flurry of moves. They might be able to get him back now, which I agree, would be really nice. 

Still want that pass rusher. 

The one part of it I'm interested in is Pagano, who from what I understand manufactures pressure from all over. Skrine and Callahan are both good pass rushers from the slot, adding more secondary rushers could be interesting, especially where with Roquan you have some nice interior pass rushing lbs.

You know, the flurry is over now and I actually think I'm comfortable in this spread the money around approach. Not crazy with Skrine deal but whatever.

We got great impact from players like Lynch last year in depth roles. I think at this point I don't see him getting more than a 1 year deal. He could come back, or you could go after Shane Ray, who had a similar profile to lynch the previous year and is given a great role to try and be productive.

I wonder how you could spread around a bunch of 1 year 4-5 mill deals. I'm not sure I wouldn't be happy if we could get maybe Jared Cook, Shane Ray, Ronald Darby/cb, Spencer Ware and a swing G/T. 

It lets them focus draft on some high priority targets and protects against the worst thing that can happen next year which is a lot of injuries.