NFL Thread 2019-2020

22 minutes ago, Chisoxfn said:

He had one mediocre season out of three and was coming on at the end of the year. I feel this is absolutely stupid. This ranks right up there with the Robbie Gould release (and Barf replacement). If you were going to get nothing why not keep him. This is essentially a seventh round pick. Awful move.  Worse when you consider the team acquiring him is a contender in the NFC. 

All that said...I get it and Nagy obviously didn’t want him. 

Enough with the Gould stuff. He stunk and missed big kicks in his final year here and went on to not be wanted in NY either.

4.1 ypc is mediocre which means 2/3 seasons were mediocre. It's not "essentially" anything. It's a 6th rounder and if Howard plays well, it's a 5th. Yu don't keep him because he can't catch and can't run fast. Would've been perfect in the league 15 years ago. He averaged 4.06 ypc in his final 6 games and 3.50 in his first 6 games. Yeah he really had a great end of the year. He's going to get 5-6 carries a game in Philly. If no team NFL is willing give up anything for a player, it should tell you how good that player is. 

Us as fans need to stop overreacting. For the most part those people are right. Davis a better RB at this stage and just like Pace found Howard, he'll find another solid RB in this draft

Edited by soxfan49

Why not just keep Howard?  You pretty much just released him, why not keep him past the draft or even into preseason. 

Maybe some team suffers a major injury and needs someone. 

I know Howard had a somewhat down year last year, but he is 24 years old.  Kinda of a weird move.

3 minutes ago, GoSox05 said:

Why not just keep Howard?  You pretty much just released him, why not keep him past the draft or even into preseason. 

Maybe some team suffers a major injury and needs someone. 

I know Howard had a somewhat down year last year, but he is 24 years old.  Kinda of a weird move.

Maybe Howard hurts himself and you truly get nothing?  Maybe Howard gets funky because it's his walk year like Alshon did and he is a detriment to the locker room and team?

Everyone knew he didn't fit and the bears were trying to find someone to make a deal, they made it happen.  Sometimes you have to move on if there isn't a fit 

12 minutes ago, Kyyle23 said:

Maybe Howard hurts himself and you truly get nothing?  Maybe Howard gets funky because it's his walk year like Alshon did and he is a detriment to the locker room and team?

Everyone knew he didn't fit and the bears were trying to find someone to make a deal, they made it happen.  Sometimes you have to move on if there isn't a fit 

I mean you pretty much got nothing anyway.  It has a chance to be a 6th round pick in a year. 

I don't think it's a big deal, but it's always good to have some depth at a position.

19 minutes ago, GoSox05 said:

I mean you pretty much got nothing anyway.  It has a chance to be a 6th round pick in a year. 

I don't think it's a big deal, but it's always good to have some depth at a position.

It actually is a 6th with a chance to be a 5th.  They will be drafting the depth 

I think trading Howard is absolutely the right thing to do, it's addition by subtraction. More of Davis/Cohen/rookie RB in Nagy's offense and less of Howard is going to make this offense better.

That said. I think you could have held out for a better pick by trading him later, i.e. before start of camp, especially it's for a 2020 pick only.

If Howard wasnt traded, it was entirely possible he got cut before the season started. It was a bad fit from day one. The Bears got a draft pick, Howard found a team that wanted him, everyone is happy. Until Howard runs for 200 against the Bears this year. #revengegame

• Like 2

2 hours ago, LittleHurt05 said:

If Howard wasnt traded, it was entirely possible he got cut before the season started. It was a bad fit from day one. The Bears got a draft pick, Howard found a team that wanted him, everyone is happy. Until Howard runs for 200 against the Bears this year. #revengegame

There were certainly ways bears could have used Howard better but it's clear Nagy liked other players better for those roles.

Felt like Carlos Boozer on offense, didn't really fit but they would still try and force feed 15 post-ups every game to keep him in the game.

Also just don't fall in love with runningbacks. This pick can be used to move up to get the guy they want in this draft. We'll have them for 3 years then trade them.

19 minutes ago, bmags said:

There were certainly ways bears could have used Howard better but it's clear Nagy liked other players better for those roles.

Felt like Carlos Boozer on offense, didn't really fit but they would still try and force feed 15 post-ups every game to keep him in the game.

Also just don't fall in love with runningbacks. This pick can be used to move up to get the guy they want in this draft. We'll have them for 3 years then trade them.

The problem is being spoiled with dudes like Matt Forte, then wanting another one.

3 hours ago, bmags said:

If Duke Johnson is a June 1st cut I think Bears will be on that.

I don't think so. It will be Davis the starter, Cohen #2 and a draftee #3. The forth back, will need to be a special teams player.

I hope the Bears can find some way to jump up into the top of the 3rd round or bottom of the 2nd for Miles Sanders. I really like that guy. Pace seems to as well, and as we all know he's not afraid of jumping up to get his guy. They have plenty of draft capital next season, as long as they avoid moving either of their 2 2nds I have no problem with them moving up. I don't doubt that the Bears are going to use the Raiders 2nd to move up to the bottom of the 1st round in 2020 as well. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

Just now, Tony said:

If I remember right, it’s been confirmed he’s visited Halas at least twice. 

I think if a guy they like is still there in the high 3rd round, they may try and get their guy. I think RB is going to be priority No. 1 for them. 

Yes, exactly. They'd have to time it just right. Sanders might not make it out of the 2nd round, but you never know with RBs. 

https://syndication.bleacherreport.com/amp/2828649-what-happened-in-green-bay.amp.html

Hadn't seen anyone post the Packers BR story yet. As someone who still thinks Rodgers is the greatest QB I've ever watched, its interesting to read some behind the scenes, cause they definitely should have won more than one Super Bowl. 

28 minutes ago, LittleHurt05 said:

https://syndication.bleacherreport.com/amp/2828649-what-happened-in-green-bay.amp.html

Hadn't seen anyone post the Packers BR story yet. As someone who still thinks Rodgers is the greatest QB I've ever watched, its interesting to read some behind the scenes, cause they definitely should have won more than one Super Bowl. 

I read that last week and they really shit on Rodgers.

Aaron Rodgers said today he played last season with a Tibial Plateau Fracture and sprained MCL for almost the whole season.

I could really care less what Greg Jennings and J Finley have to say about him not being a leader. 

Just now, GoSox05 said:

Aaron Rodgers said today he played last season with a Tibial Plateau Fracture and sprained MCL for almost the whole season.

I could really care less what Greg Jennings and J Finley have to say about him not being a leader. 

He really isn't and neither is Ben Roethlisberger. But they can play.

On 4/9/2019 at 10:50 AM, GoSox05 said:

Honestly, if I were a Packers fan, I would hate that. It was clear that he wasn't himself last year and playing through such a serious injury can be detrimental in a lot of ways 

9 hours ago, Jose Abreu said:

Honestly, if I were a Packers fan, I would hate that. It was clear that he wasn't himself last year and playing through such a serious injury can be detrimental in a lot of ways 

Yeah, it definitely explains the amount of throw aways he had. 

I do think some of it could also be that he didn't trust the offense and some of the young players around him.

I expect a big bounce back this year.  Wouldn't be surprised if he threw 10-15 more TD this year.