NFL Thread 2019-2020

42 minutes ago, Tony said:

I assume the response from @ptatc will be "I'm not talking about the stars on the team, I'm talking about the lower level roster that makes money on playoff cuts" 

The answer, is once again......Andrew Luck owes those guys nothing. NOTHING. He worked his ass off to be a top tier QB when healthy, he's the reason their win total went from 9.5 to 6.5. He doesn't owe those backups anything. He's put his body through hell, and he had enough. He's supposed to go through more grueling rehab.....because of the backup cornerbacks need the cash? Please. 

Never said he owes them anything. Just like my co-workers owe me nothing. However, when I leave a job, I've always given enough notice to not put my co-workers in a bind.

He doesn't owe anyone anything. Doesn't mean it's not a crappy thing to do and I don't blame some people for resenting it.

17 minutes ago, Tony said:

Owners/employee's should be upset leadership didn't have a capable replacement in place, especially in this case, seeing as Luck has exactly been the picture of health in his career, to go along with a TERRIBLE O-line. 

I mean they traded for Jacoby Brissett and now hand the team to a 26 year old with some talent.  I don't know how good he can be, but it's worth giving a shot.  It's not like there is a ton of really good qb's laying around.

If he's good then problem solved, if he is god awful this is the year to pick a QB.  Should be a good year for QB in this years draft.

28 minutes ago, GoSox05 said:

I mean they traded for Jacoby Brissett and now hand the team to a 26 year old with some talent.  I don't know how good he can be, but it's worth giving a shot.  It's not like there is a ton of really good qb's laying around.

If he's good then problem solved, if he is god awful this is the year to pick a QB.  Should be a good year for QB in this years draft.

Even if Brissett stinks, their roster is too good for Tua, Herbert, etc. They could trade up, but that's a 5-6 win team even if Brissett's a bottom 5 QB. That's where they'll be in a bind unless they make a move and get up in the draft.

2 hours ago, Tony said:

Owners/employee's should be upset leadership didn't have a capable replacement in place, especially in this case, seeing as Luck has exactly been the picture of health in his career, to go along with a TERRIBLE O-line. 

That's fine if you want to look at it that way. I just dont like treating people that way. Leadership has very little control when a person decides to quit/leave. Very few NFL teams carry 2 starting quality QBs. They just cost too much. How you someone view the Bears season if Trubiskey retired today?

Again dont get me wrong. He has every right to quit with the issues he's having. He just picked an awful time to do it and I dont blame some people if they are upset about it.

2 hours ago, GoSox05 said:

I'm not really sure how many players making the league minimum have playoff bonuses in their contracts.  Even if they do, I'm sure most of them are just focused on making the team.

All players get playoff money from the NFL for each round of the playoffs.

39 minutes ago, Tony said:

Just as a fan, I would understand being pissed. It's a natural reaction. I wouldn't have boo'd the guy, but it's your team, I get being pissed and feeling "hurt" for a bit. 

I just can't stand all the takes that he's soft, ect. ect. Just garbage. 

I wouldnt have booed either but I get it.

The soft stuff is garbage. Only that person can decide how much they can take. Others may have been able to take more, others may have quit after the neck issue. 

16 hours ago, soxfan49 said:

Even if Brissett stinks, their roster is too good for Tua, Herbert, etc. They could trade up, but that's a 5-6 win team even if Brissett's a bottom 5 QB. That's where they'll be in a bind unless they make a move and get up in the draft.

I don't know, if he really stinks, like bottom 5 QB in the league.  I'm not sure they are a 5-6 win team.

I think their division is going to be a little better this year.  I think Houston and Jax will be better than last year. 

If they do win 5-6 games, they will have to trade up, but a lot of teams do that now anyways. 

14 hours ago, ptatc said:

All players get playoff money from the NFL for each round of the playoffs.

I would think some late round draft pick or undrafted player is less concerned about playoff money and probably just happy they are on a roster. 

I think Brisset will be decent. Very good offensive line, good skill talent. His first year was the equivalent of Mitch's first year. Thrown in having not been prepped for role, asked to not screw up, terrible offense, terrible roster.

25 minutes ago, GoSox05 said:

I would think some late round draft pick or undrafted player is less concerned about playoff money and probably just happy they are on a roster. 

But with the lower salary that money is more important.

3 hours ago, knightni said:

The worst thing for Indy is if they're just average and win 7 or 8 games.

Brissett will be competent enough to be competitive, but not good enough to win anything.

Middling draft selections for 5-7 years.

The best QB last year was what, a 10th pick? If they are really after another QB there will absolutely be guys available in the 10-25 range. It won't be Tua, but it will be Reich's job to develop whatever they come up with. 

Pineiro ended up making 3 field goals (3/3) and missed the lone XP. I think he's the guy. I also think they'll go for 2 more often, not just due to kicker uncertainty but also because Nagy is smart and soon enough people will be going for 2 almost every time 

1 hour ago, Kyyle23 said:

And change the name to throwball

100%

Less kicking, except for punting, would like to see punting become a bigger part of the game. 

If your punter hits one with a hang time of over 5.3 seconds and goes 55 yards.  You get 1 point.

2 hours ago, GoSox05 said:

Get rid of kick offs.  No more XP kicks, a TD is now just 7 points or 8 if you go for a two point conversion.

Why? The way kicking is now, you're taking away some of the drama and entertainment of the game. XP's are no longer automatic. 

I agree with kickoffs. Minimal entertainment there.

Edited by ptatc

1 hour ago, ptatc said:

Why? The way kicking is now, you're taking away some of the drama and entertainment of the game. XP's are no longer automatic. 

I agree with kickoffs. Minimal entertainment there.

I was just half joking on the XP thing, It's fine, I just prefer to have games decided by good offense and defense than if a kicker makes an extra point.  I've always found it weird that the offense does the work needed to score a TD and then you have to do one more thing to get the total amount of points.  You just threw a 80 yard bomb that a WR jumped over a CB to catch and run into the end zone, now do one more thing.

I want Tom Brady or JJ Watt making the play that wins the game, not a 39 kicker missing an XP.

There is enough drama with field goals.

10 minutes ago, GoSox05 said:

I was just half joking on the XP thing, It's fine, I just prefer to have games decided by good offense and defense than if a kicker makes an extra point.  I've always found it weird that the offense does the work needed to score a TD and then you have to do one more thing to get the total amount of points.  You just threw a 80 yard bomb that a WR jumped over a CB to catch and run into the end zone, now do one more thing.

I want Tom Brady or JJ Watt making the play that wins the game, not a 39 kicker missing an XP.

There is enough drama with field goals.

That's what makes it interesting. Teams can spend all the money in the world on stars and big names but the little unknown kicker can make or break it.

It comes down to the team not just the stars. Just like what happened to the Bears last year. It sucks as a Bears fan but people will never forget the "double doink."