NFL Thread 2019-2020

3 minutes ago, ptatc said:

the NFL owners woudn't tolerate the way baseball is run. There is far too much revenue sharing for them to put up with a team purposely losing.

I'm of the opinion that if you have to think one millisecond about your QB position you don't have one and should be looking for an upgrade. You just know. 

35 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

I'm of the opinion that if you have to think one millisecond about your QB position you don't have one and should be looking for an upgrade. You just know. 

That's fine but teams can't tank like in baseball. And if you continually change QBs that's what you are doing. You will never win. It is much more of a business than baseball with revenue sharing and the salary cap. 

11 minutes ago, ptatc said:

That's fine but teams can't tank like in baseball. And if you continually change QBs that's what you are doing. You will never win. It is much more of a business than baseball with revenue sharing and the salary cap. 

It isn't that, it's more that tier 2 and 3 QBs should move around a ton. They should be recycled between teams while they're finding a real QB. Something needs to change because re-signing an average or above average QB is too damn cap punitive. 

12 hours ago, Jack Parkman said:

It isn't that, it's more that tier 2 and 3 QBs should move around a ton. They should be recycled between teams while they're finding a real QB. Something needs to change because re-signing an average or above average QB is too damn cap punitive. 

You have to stop thinking that teams can and should be run like fantasy teams.   Teams can't just punt in second tier QBs just because they are not elite, ptatc is correct in that your model will lead to constant losing and that is not sustainable in the nfl

19 minutes ago, Kyyle23 said:

You have to stop thinking that teams can and should be run like fantasy teams.   Teams can't just punt in second tier QBs just because they are not elite, ptatc is correct in that your model will lead to constant losing and that is not sustainable in the nfl

It's not any different from what it is right now. The only difference is that teams win a few more games. What good does that do? It takes a historic defense to win without a franchise level QB. Idk how the Eagles won that game, but they're an extreme outlier. 

46 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

It's not any different from what it is right now. The only difference is that teams win a few more games. What good does that do? It takes a historic defense to win without a franchise level QB. Idk how the Eagles won that game, but they're an extreme outlier. 

I think I'm just going on a moratorium against conversing with you in this thread.   Talk to you about football in February 

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, Kyyle23 said:

I think I'm just going on a moratorium against conversing with you in this thread.   Talk to you about football in February 

Why is saying that the percentage of the cap that tier 2 and 3 QBs make is ridiculous,  somehow a hot take? At current prices, only those on HOF trajectories are worth keeping. If the prices for ok to good come down, it's fine to keep those guys. But a QB shouldn't get $30M annually and $100M guaranteed just because of the position he plays. Ask yourself what you'd pay a guy with comparable skill set at WR, CB, LT, DE, etc, then add 10% for being a QB. That's more reasonable. You should have to cut, trade or let walk 1/4 of your team just to keep a QB around, if they can't withstand that hit due to the QB being great. 

The problem isn't keeping the QB, it's how punitive it is to the remainder of the team. With the way things are right now, the Washington/Cousins Approach is the best MO. Give your guy 6-7 seasons to see what he is, and if he isn't good enough let him go. I just think it's dumb to lock up a QB that isn't on a HOF trajectory long-term. It would be different if it wasn't so punitive. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

15 hours ago, Jack Parkman said:

If they move around a ton, you get the scenario I presented. Coaches continually having to teach their system to new QBs and the offense will never really get going. This will not be conducive for winning teams.

4 minutes ago, ptatc said:

If they move around a ton, you get the scenario I presented. Coaches continually having to teach their system to new QBs and the offense will never really get going. This will not be conducive for winning teams.

The other option is the Washington/Cousins approach, where you give a guy 6-7 years. I'm really in favor of that. Cousins was a bit different because he was a 4th rounder. But you can pick up the 5th year option and then franchise a guy without crippling your cap long-term. I'd rather pay an above average QB 1 year under the franchise tag than sign him long-term 

11 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

Burton inactive.

pfffttt...shocker with Burton. He's turned into a limp wash rag...

Full Bears inactives:

Kevin Toliver

Kerrith Whyte Jr.

Josh Woods

Abdullah Anderson

Rashaad Coward

Riley Ridley

Trey Burton

Interesting that Shelley is active over Toliver.

By the way, I don't think it's impossible to win a championship without a HOF QB. I do think it's impossible to win more than one. The window of a SB winning team without a HOF QB is short, probably 2-3 seasons. I wish teams would take QBs that they like in the 1st round when they have a 28+ year old tier 2 or 3 QB. If they're right, not only can they get an upgrade at QB they can also get a haul for trading a tier 2/3 guy to a team with a really bad QB.