NFL Thread 2019-2020

Trubisky's game was bad - really disappointing to see him not getting better at making reads, still staring down Robinson, and the inexcusable throw to Amos at the end of the game when it was obvious Robinson never open - but the penalties on offense made it worse than it is. By the time he started to settle down in the second half, the OL was canceling out all the forward progress with penalties (Trubisky was part of this too, two delay of game penalties on the same drive). 1st and 40 is simply not a thing that should happen in a professional football game. The lack of preparation by the entire offense, and Nagy in particular, was inexcusable.

All offseason and preseason Nagy raves about David Montgomery, then he gets a few carries in the first half and looks legit, then Nagy just... ignores him the rest of the game, and abandons the run game completely. They were never down by more than a TD at any point and the clock wasn't an issue so there was no reason for him to do that. This was the worst coached game Nagy has had so far.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

1 hour ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Alright, let’s do a ban bet then.  If the Broncos win next week, I won’t post until after the Bears’ bye week, if they lose to us the opposite applies.  Are you down?

Ban bet baby! Count me in.

Edited by ron883
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, lostfan said:

Trubisky's game was bad - really disappointing to see him not getting better at making reads, still staring down Robinson, and the inexcusable throw to Amos at the end of the game when it was obvious Robinson never open - but the penalties on offense made it worse than it is. By the time he started to settle down in the second half, the OL was canceling out all the forward progress with penalties (Trubisky was part of this too, two delay of game penalties on the same drive). 1st and 40 is simply not a thing that should happen in a professional football game. The lack of preparation by the entire offense, and Nagy in particular, was inexcusable.

All offseason and preseason Nagy raves about David Montgomery, then he gets a few carries in the first half and looks legit, then Nagy just... ignores him the rest of the game, and abandons the run game completely. They were never down by more than a TD at any point and the clock wasn't an issue so there was no reason for him to do that. This was the worst coached game Nagy has had so far.

This. And it is one game. One game. This thread is absurd.  There are a lot of fingers on offense and they need to clean this up. Looked like a unit totally unprepared. 

When they got momentum, penalties or drops would immediately shoot them in the foot. No rhythm to the play calling either and I totally didn’t get the use of all the running backs. 

They will get better (and this is coming from the guy who a couple days ago specifically said I had major questions about the offense). I also didn’t see a ton of explosiveness from the wideouts or others. Didn’t see a bunch of wide open guys all over the field who Mitch was missing. 

One game. Period. Move on. 

1 hour ago, Soxfest said:

Trubisky said on interception in end zone he put the ball in a good spot wtf!

I mean, he did, but that wasn't the issue, it doesn't matter how accurate your throw was if you throw into double coverage, Robinson was never open. I guess he was trying to high-point it, just a bad idea considering the distance that throw had to travel.

Of course, Baby Stillborn Fetus Gronk didn't do Trubisky any favors dropping a catch on the previous play.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, lostfan said:

The second paragraph is my biggest problem with the game. It was clear to me Trubisky wasnt having a night where he could just carry the team. So why are they not working to get Cohen/Montgomery easy touches to help Trubisky out. There were a few times where I felt Montgomery was open coming out of the backfield where he could have gotten him the ball with some space. 

That being said, Nagy just seemed to have no feel for the game. 

1 minute ago, Chisoxfn said:

This. And it is one game. One game. This thread is absurd.  There are a lot of fingers on offense and they need to clean this up. Looked like a unit totally unprepared. 

When they got momentum, penalties or drops would immediately shoot them in the foot. No rhythm to the play calling either and I totally didn’t get the use of all the running backs. 

They will get better (and this is coming from the guy who a couple days ago specifically said I had major questions about the offense). I also didn’t see a ton of explosiveness from the wideouts or others. Didn’t see a bunch of wide open guys all over the field who Mitch was missing. 

One game. Period. Move on. 

I get why people are upset about this loss and people want a scapegoat but the point of a scapegoat is it can only be one person. If there HAS to be one guy to blame for that game it's Nagy.

• Like 1

Just now, lostfan said:

I mean, he did, but that wasn't the issue, it doesn't matter how accurate your throw was if you throw into double coverage, Robinson was never open. I guess he was trying to high-point it, just a bad idea considering the distance that throw had to travel.

Of course, Baby Stillborn Fetus Gronk didn't do Trubisky any favors dropping a catch on the previous play.

On the play to Sheehan he should have gone to Montgomery, they just did not attack that area of the field at all. 

1 minute ago, Soxbadger said:

The second paragraph is my biggest problem with the game. It was clear to me Trubisky wasnt having a night where he could just carry the team. So why are they not working to get Cohen/Montgomery easy touches to help Trubisky out. There were a few times where I felt Montgomery was open coming out of the backfield where he could have gotten him the ball with some space. 

They looked like a team who wasn’t ready for what it takes to play against another team (vs practice). To be frank, packers offense didn’t look very hot either and they have a hall of famer at qb. His td pass was awful too (how that wasn’t picked or batted down is beyond me) 

3 minutes ago, Soxbadger said:

I mean not even so much THAT. It's even more basic, even Mike Martz was probably watching that game wondering why he abandoned the run.

Nagy made Schoop and Crowton look like a genius tonight. 

I'm not willing to completely jump off of the ledge yet,(I've calmed down a bit since the game ended) but holy shit was Trubisky awful tonight. That being said, Nagy did him zero favors.

I'm not sure that I want Pace picking another QB if Mitch sucks because when he made Mitch the 2nd overall pick he raved about Mitch's accuracy. That has been his biggest issue in the NFL. I don't want someone who is that wrong on something like that picking a 2nd QB. 

Edited by Jack Parkman
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, lostfan said:

I mean not even so much THAT. It's even more basic, even Mike Martz was probably watching that game wondering why he abandoned the run.

Yeah i pointed out the 3 to 1 pass to run ratio earlier. Also im not sure Trubisky took a snap under center.

Ive always hated shot gun on 3rd and inches.

Just now, Soxbadger said:

Yeah i pointed out the 3 to 1 pass to run ratio earlier. Also im not sure Trubisky took a snap under center.

Ive always hated shot gun on 3rd and inches.

My favorite play was when the same coach that has David Montgomery on 3rd and inches had a 6'4" WR line up as the lone back and then runs him up the middle.

When I saw him back there I was like "maybe this is gonna be a RPO" and before I even could finish the thought NOPE THEY ARE REALLY GONNA RUN HIM RIGHT UP THE MIDDLE THE FUCK

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

Nagy made Schoop and Crowton look like a genius tonight. 

I'm not willing to completely jump off of the ledge yet,(I've calmed down a bit since the game ended) but holy shit was Trubisky awful tonight. That being said, Nagy did him zero favors.

I'm not sure that I want Pace picking another QB if Mitch sucks because when he made Mitch the 2nd overall pick he raved about Mitch's accuracy. That has been his biggest issue in the NFL. I don't want someone who is that wrong on something like that picking a 2nd QB. 

Unless I am missing something, I don’t remember any throws where Mitch’s accuracy was brutal. Other than his near pick early in the game...where is three across his body and the field but under threw the ball. 

• Haha 1

Just now, lostfan said:

My favorite play was when the same coach that has David Montgomery on 3rd and inches had a 6'4" WR line up as the lone back and then runs him up the middle.

When I saw him back there I was like "maybe this is gonna be a RPO" and before I even could finish the thought NOPE THEY ARE REALLY GONNA RUN HIM RIGHT UP THE MIDDLE THE FUCK

He saw belicheck do that one time and thought it was a good idea...

• Haha 1
  • Love 1

1 minute ago, Chisoxfn said:

Unless I am missing something, I don’t remember any throws where Mitch’s accuracy was brutal. Other than his near pick early in the game...where is three across his body and the field but under threw the ball. 

Mitch overthrows guys constantly, (especially on seam routes down the middle of the field) and he has trouble hitting guys on the sidelines. He's overthrowing and underthrowing nearly every pass. He's just off. 

• Love 1

3 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

Mitch overthrows guys constantly, (especially on seam routes down the middle of the field) and he has trouble hitting guys on the sidelines. He's overthrowing and underthrowing nearly every pass. He's just off. 

He is good to excellent everywhere in his accuracy charts but he's below average deep. Deep left, middle, right, doesn't matter.

2 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

Look. They played a bad game. They had no rhythm, had tons of penalties, gave up a bunch of sacks, had dropped passes and literally had minimal field position most of the game.  All of those things combined with the fact that they had jumbled play calling and non-existent performances from literally anyone not named Robinson didn't help either (albeit Gabriel made a couple plays and Montgomery looked good...they just didn't use him).  Mitch is the QB and he is responsible but every time it looked like he got in a roll, they'd shoot themselves in the foot. It was just a flat out ugly performance with everything going against the Bears offensively (and those things all being self inflicted).  Like I said...they looked like a team with a TON of rust.  I remember back in 2003, Patriots lost 31-0 to the Bills.  Patriots went on to win the superbowl and the Bills ended up winning 6 games that season.    

Random Nit: I know the announcers and TV ref were adamant, but I did not believe Gabriels offensive pass interference on the 1st and 30 (that eventually became 1st and 40) was OPI. Yes, he touched the Packer...but I don't think it at all impacted the play (the Packer player wasn't getting it and that touch didn't give Gabriel extra leverage to make a catch).  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Jack Parkman said:

What do you consider deep? I think he's pretty bad in intermediate routes too. He's bad past 10-12 yds IMO. 

I would have to go look at the chart I saw (no idea where it is to find it again) but I would say about 15+

I think he's fine but the seam routes are where he struggles because he doesn't anticipate his WRs being open because he's turnover-averse.

Edited by lostfan

Just now, Jack Parkman said:

What do you consider deep? I think he's pretty bad in intermediate routes too. He's bad past 10-12 yds IMO. 

Are you just making random comments from last season?  OR did you see him miss a bunch of open guys this year?  Hell, most of his completions there were DB's all over the wideouts / close. I was not impressed (at all) with the Bears ability to create seperation. Robinson is a pro so he makes things work and doesn't need much seperation, but the rest of the wideouts don't have that benefit (especially given how small Gabriel is).  

Just now, Chisoxfn said:

Look. They played a bad game. They had no rhythm, had tons of penalties, gave up a bunch of sacks, had dropped passes and literally had minimal field position most of the game.  All of those things combined with the fact that they had jumbled play calling and non-existent performances from literally anyone not named Robinson didn't help either (albeit Gabriel made a couple plays and Montgomery looked good...they just didn't use him).  Mitch is the QB and he is responsible but every time it looked like he got in a roll, they'd shoot themselves in the foot. It was just a flat out ugly performance with everything going against the Bears offensively (and those things all being self inflicted).  Like I said...they looked like a team with a TON of rust.  I remember back in 2003, Patriots lost 31-0 to the Bills.  Patriots went on to win the superbowl and the Bills ended up winning 6 games that season.    

Random Nit: I know the announcers and TV ref were adamant, but I did not believe Gabriels offensive pass interference on the 1st and 30 (that eventually became 1st and 40) was OPI. Yes, he touched the Packer...but I don't think it at all impacted the play (the Packer player wasn't getting it and that touch didn't give Gabriel extra leverage to make a catch).  

I didnt think that was OPI either. The amount of holding on Mack and DOG the Packers got away with was beyond ludicrous. 

2 minutes ago, lostfan said:

I would have to go look at the chart I saw (no idea where it is to find it again) but I would say about 15+

I would expect him to get better on those balls this season. Game and offense should slow down and his feet should be more accurate. I actually thought he had more good throws than Rodgers did tonight. Didn't take much since there were almost zero good offensive plays in the total game.  And no, I'm not going to let the first game of the season impact my full year conclusion.  

I'd also say, the reason I don't think the Bears match up well vs. the Packers is Rodgers doesn't turn the ball over. He literally doesn't and I think if they played another QB, with the pressure the Bears had, you would have seen a few turnovers. Rodgers is just absurd in his ability to not throw picks (although you can strip him).