NFL Thread 2019-2020

I'm really glad they grinded this game out. Seasons are long, and you want to bank every game you can even if it wasn't your best.

That said - this team needs answers. It looks figured out, it looks basic. It has a wounded puppy at QB, it's oline looks weak, and it's defense and kicker are the only bright spots.

One thing - the personnel has to be whittled down within a game. Maybe there will be a riley ridley game. A cordarelle patterson game. But to just expect one or two plays for each player to be executed perfectly isn't working. 

5 hours ago, kwolf68 said:

TWO of the worst "roughing" and "roughness" calls I've seen in a long time. A total joke. At this point are we playing tackle football? The Floyd penalty in the first half was horrible and that "roughing" the passer was as bad. Just brutal officiating today. 

Both of those calls were awful. As was the call on the final drive against Trubisky.  Albeit, I think the Floyd/Goldman one were worse than the one called on Trubisky.  

4 hours ago, SoxAce said:

I'll give Trubisky this. That last throw where the play broke down and he extended it with his legs and made the perfect throw to Robinson was MONEY. Did it last year too in that Eagles game before the Parkey double doink overshadowed that. 

Nagy needs to stop pretending he is elite when he's not. More runs, less passes. Trubisky can Trent Dilfer his way for all I care. The defense is that elite IMO to carry them.

Mitch had that nice read to Cohen on 1st drive of the game where he used his feet too (ball hung up just enough and Bronco DB made a good play).  They haven't really leveraged Mitch's legs enough, imo. That said, online was better today. Progress still needs to be made though.  Mitch had a couple misses but I still don't see the Bears playmakers doing much either.  

Either way...this was a huge win. I'm calling a 3 TD+ performance from Mitch next week.  

• Like 1

4 hours ago, SoxAce said:

I'll give Trubisky this. That last throw where the play broke down and he extended it with his legs and made the perfect throw to Robinson was MONEY. Did it last year too in that Eagles game before the Parkey double doink overshadowed that. 

Nagy needs to stop pretending he is elite when he's not. More runs, less passes. Trubisky can Trent Dilfer his way for all I care. The defense is that elite IMO to carry them.

Trubisky is not good enough that you can let him just throw and throw and throw. You need to scheme for him and be creative, etc. If you do that right, he can be good to very good (IMO).  He is not Patrick Mahoney or Aaron Rodgers. 

1 hour ago, bmags said:

I'm really glad they grinded this game out. Seasons are long, and you want to bank every game you can even if it wasn't your best.

That said - this team needs answers. It looks figured out, it looks basic. It has a wounded puppy at QB, it's oline looks weak, and it's defense and kicker are the only bright spots.

One thing - the personnel has to be whittled down within a game. Maybe there will be a riley ridley game. A cordarelle patterson game. But to just expect one or two plays for each player to be executed perfectly isn't working. 

Let's see how Nagy adjusts back. I have faith.  

And not to state the obvious, but Deshaun Watson only threw for 150 yards this week.  The Bears just beat a team who had won 17 or 18 home openers and somehow powered through it.  The altitude is real.  This game is going to bet the catalyst. Strap on and get ready for a fun ride!!! 

• Like 1

The thing no one is talking about...outside of Allen Robinson, I have seen nothing from Cohen / Burton (thankfully he's back), Miller (recovering from his injury but still very little to show) and Gabriel (albeit Mitch's worse ball of the day was a pass to Gabriel).  

Shaheed made someone miss for the first time in his NFL career today, so I won't say anything negative about him.  Still, I don't see a bunch of guys wide-open. Even Robinson, dude makes contested catches but he isn't exactly a speed demon who creates a ton of separation (see Chiefs offense where Mahoney is regularly throwing to guys with massive separation).  

I expect as we see the Bears offense take off, it will be because Burton & Miller are getting healthy and producing.  Cohen too.  

1 hour ago, Chisoxfn said:

Mitch had that nice read to Cohen on 1st drive of the game where he used his feet too (ball hung up just enough and Bronco DB made a good play).  They haven't really leveraged Mitch's legs enough, imo. That said, online was better today. Progress still needs to be made though.  Mitch had a couple misses but I still don't see the Bears playmakers doing much either.  

Either way...this was a huge win. I'm calling a 3 TD+ performance from Mitch next week.  

I thought about this and after the game it smacked me in the face like a blinding light - Trubisky's athletic ability is well-known, he killed defenses last year, so now the tape is out that defenses play to contain him. You can't really do much in the way of designed rollouts either because he'll just run right into a DE and end up throwing it away. He hasn't shown he can consistently make reads from the pocket and step up and make throws when he needs to, so they're not going to stop doing it.

6 hours ago, Chisoxfn said:

And not to state the obvious, but Deshaun Watson only threw for 150 yards this week.  The Bears just beat a team who had won 17 or 18 home openers and somehow powered through it.  The altitude is real.  This game is going to bet the catalyst. Strap on and get ready for a fun ride!!! 

The difference is deshaun Watson has as many bad games as Trubisky has great games. If Trubisky was excellent week one then we say “well it was just one bad game”. 

9 hours ago, Chisoxfn said:

Trubisky is not good enough that you can let him just throw and throw and throw. You need to scheme for him and be creative, etc. If you do that right, he can be good to very good (IMO).  He is not Patrick Mahoney or Aaron Rodgers. 

So hes a QB who isnt good if he has to pass but can be a very good QB with the right scheme? Not buying it one bit. 

The problem with mitch is when he extends plays hes not accurate with the ball so he doesnt receive the entire benefit of that.

2 hours ago, Harry Chappas said:

Going against a guy that knew their offense rather well in Fangio and the air and heat in Denver played a role, I am just happy with the win. 

Fangio going for two actually cost them the game because I think the Bears play for OT if it is tied and that isn't ending well.

I actually thought this as well. Bears were gassed and not moving the ball against the defense. Denver had home field and didnt extend the game. It worked in theory but I thought it was a mistake by fangio as well.

9 hours ago, Chisoxfn said:

Watson has a horrible pass blocking line. He didnt look good this week but his career has been significantly better and more consistent than mitch's so far.

Anyone see the Klemko article about Antonio Brown this morning? It's hard for me to think of Brown as being an even bigger piece of shit than I already do, but here we are; man that article is tough to read. Guy lives an extravagant lifestyle but doesn't pay up

https://www.si.com/nfl/2019/09/16/antonio-brown-new-england-patriots-lawsuits-accusations-sexual-midconduct-assault

56 minutes ago, GoSox05 said:

Brees out for 6 weeks, maybe more.

Roethlisberger out for the year.

Have to imagine those teams are in trouble. 

Maybe I'm wrong but at least division-wise feels like saints are in better shape than Steelers with how bucs/panthers looked.

6 minutes ago, bmags said:

Maybe I'm wrong but at least division-wise feels like saints are in better shape than Steelers with how bucs/panthers looked.

Yeah, I'm not sure the Steelers were going anywhere anyways.

Saints are going to have to win on the road, which they struggle to do with Brees, so I'm not sure how that goes without him. 

28 minutes ago, soxfan49 said:

Anyone see the Klemko article about Antonio Brown this morning? It's hard for me to think of Brown as being an even bigger piece of shit than I already do, but here we are; man that article is tough to read. Guy lives an extravagant lifestyle but doesn't pay up

https://www.si.com/nfl/2019/09/16/antonio-brown-new-england-patriots-lawsuits-accusations-sexual-midconduct-assault

Just a bad person in almost every facet of life.   Almost no way he should be able to play this entire year, but the NFL is going to NFL.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, GoSox05 said:

Yeah, I'm not sure the Steelers were going anywhere anyways.

Saints are going to have to win on the road, which they struggle to do with Brees, so I'm not sure how that goes without him. 

Saints next 5 games are pretty difficult but if they win 2 of them, they'll be in decent shape.