NFL Thread 2019-2020

19 minutes ago, SoxAce said:

I'll take it with a grain of salt for now (Twitter is usually 50/50 with these things) but it's disappointing. He was on the sideline for the game today supposedly. 

BarStoolSports is saying it’s BS based on a “source.”  I’m sure we will find out tomorrow.

2 hours ago, bmags said:

I can’t pick my favorite sack from yesterday. Think it may be the kwit blowup to nick Williams. But Mack double team was pretty good. Then when Williams exploded Kirk. And the other 3.

I think the first play of the second half when Mack just took Cousins heart(And the ball) was my favorite 

• Like 1

That said, you know how sometimes when watching the QB start to throw it and you feel your eyes already start to "look downfield" to see where it might go? My favorite sacks are when you start to follow that like a camera man only to jump back and see the QB on the ground with a surprise, massive hit like williams had on cousins. It feels like it's almost always a dtackle that does those kind of hits that sneak up on the Qb. Fun moments.

I give Chase Daniels credit for making enough plays to win. He had me terrified because he really holds the ball a long time. He also doesn't have the arm strength (and he will get picked more on balls that just "hang up" there. What he does have is the stones to hang in there and make enough throws and obviously tons of experience to quickly disect a difference.

Major difference between Daniels & Trubisky in upside and potential though, but the good news (in the sense that Chase is in there), not a huge downside difference given their more recent play (bad in the sake that Mitch hadn't been super sharp early in the season...albeit was progressing nicely).  The key goes back to the fact that young NFL QB's just can't dissect defenses the way certain coaches expect them to. You really need to simplify things for a few years before you truly unleash them.  

I heard that comment from a couple offensive minds recently and they essentially mentioned that the difference between college & pro is so distinct that more and more teams offensively are starting to learn that to best adjust QB's you really simplify things and go on 1st couple reads and really pare things back for more sustained near-term success.  Give them a few years of starting and seeing defenses and than you can start to see them become true disecters of D.  Look at the best young QB's and they all tend to have one trait in common...their ability to scramble and make plays with their legs, which in turn helps them get out of the pocket, cut the field in half and enable far easier decision making.  

Phenomenal defensive performance by the Bears yesterday...I thought they were in really bad shape with the injuries & personal issues, but they came through. This Raiders game, with the travel and injuries, is going to be a lot tougher than people think and it is a pretty critical came at this point in the juncture (given how tough the Bears schedule is about to get).  

I really can't imagine anything regarding Roquan Smith coming out and being good news.  I kept wondering why none of the announcers made a big deal about it during yesterdays game.  Fact that he was still at the game is what draws the alarm. Something happened and drew the team to make a decision.  

On Trubiksy front, I think best news would be him getting back after the bye week. There is zero chance they are flying him across the pond and getting him to play in London. Zero. Will be interesting to see who the Bears bring in on the back-up front.  I presume Bray will be activated from PS.  

6 minutes ago, Chisoxfn said:

I really can't imagine anything regarding Roquan Smith coming out and being good news.  I kept wondering why none of the announcers made a big deal about it during yesterdays game.  Fact that he was still at the game is what draws the alarm. Something happened and drew the team to make a decision.  

Schefter just reported that he wasn't at the scene but didn't play because he was "behaving erratically" during the week.

4 minutes ago, Chisoxfn said:

You worry about drugs, depression, etc?  It seems like there is no good outcome of this, other than hopefully whatever the issue is has been identified before he went too deep and that he can get the necessary help.  

I don't want to diagnose a player over the internet but yeah more worried about mental health episodes than drugs. 

4 minutes ago, Tony said:

So....maybe more than zero, lol.

Lol - I don't get it, but I have to imagine this is a pretty good sign that they think he'll be able to get back on the field sooner vs. later. That said, will be interesting to see how much it limits his mobility, etc.  I would have to imagine it is going to hurt anytime he gets hit, etc.  

50 minutes ago, Chisoxfn said:

Lol - I don't get it, but I have to imagine this is a pretty good sign that they think he'll be able to get back on the field sooner vs. later. That said, will be interesting to see how much it limits his mobility, etc.  I would have to imagine it is going to hurt anytime he gets hit, etc.  

Yep. It's all about getting hit. He needs the arm for snaps, especially with the amount of shotgun they use. As long as his arm stays below shoulder height, it isn't much of an issue.

49 minutes ago, Tony said:

For sure, I also think it's weird he's making the trip to London, no way he plays, so what's the point? 

Probably just to keep him learning the flow of the game and what to look for with different defenses. He'll be there with earpiece in ear.

Rehab is easy, rest.