NFL Thread 2019-2020

Just now, Chisoxfn said:

If I am the Bears, regardless of how Trubisky does, I probably bring in a guy on a one year deal that is serviceable.  With this D, you need a better contingent plan than Chase Daniel and you need to be prepared for the risk that Trubisky doesn't pan out.  

Mariotta & Carr are two guys that clearly could be out there, along with Matt Ryan.  Mariotta was someone the Bears brass liked previously (not sure whether Nagy did). HE clearly has struggled in the pro's.  That said, he's never been surrounded with strong offensive coaches/schemes.  The Titans (and injuries) have turned him into more of a pocket passer than he should be. Than again, the Bears (or other teams defensive schemes) have done the same to Mitch this year as well.  

I do think Nagy probably has had his own challenges from having a guy like Smith as his QB for so long. Very very savy vet who could handle any defensive scheme is a huge difference from a young QB (in this era).  I honestly think people drastically underestimate how long it takes for a QB to be "savy" at reads and how much you need to use scheme and simplicity early in a QB's career.  I think Matt wants to go heavy heavy and the reality is, it takes YEAR(S) to get there.  Even Mahomes, you've seen him more limited when teams hold him to the pocket (not that there are many cases of that) and make him truly dissect a d.  

Mariota, Winston are obvious, but then you have Foles possibly moving with Minshew's play. Flyers on josh rosen, too.

Then some big question marks: Does Kyle Allen's play have them move on from Newton? Does Alex Smith get traded? Does Matt Ryan become available? Does Philip Rivers become available? Does Andy Dalton become available?

4 hours ago, Chisoxfn said:

If I were the Bears, I would look at drafting a QB early again, mainly because I believe you could strategize an approach where you focus on defense and leverage young, cheap QB's for the next few years (unless you have a truly transcendent QB).  I really think the new model is...win with a solid young QB on the cheap or win with a truly great QB who is paid at that level.  IF you get caught in between (which is what a ton of teams do...see Stafford, Goff (potentially), Ryan, etc), you end up not ever being able to field a good enough team around that above average, but not elite QB.  Heck, even the elite QB's can have a hard time overcoming the cap implications.  

I think I would start with the offensive line first. They really aren't getting it done. There have been no hole for the RB to run. I can't remember an inside run where the RB didn't get hit at the line or behind it. This offense won't go until play action works, I don't care who the QB is.

1 hour ago, ptatc said:

I think I would start with the offensive line first. They really aren't getting it done. There have been no hole for the RB to run. I can't remember an inside run where the RB didn't get hit at the line or behind it. This offense won't go until play action works, I don't care who the QB is.

How much of that is the line and how much of that is not having a straight ahead runner like Howard any more who can take the first little bit of contact without going down?

15 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

How much of that is the line and how much of that is not having a straight ahead runner like Howard any more who can take the first little bit of contact without going down?

They had the same line last year and couldn't run block for Howard either. Run blocking has been poor last year and this year.  The major "if" is that last years oline (sans Daniels) was essentially the same oline that was pretty darn good at run blocking under John Fox and Adam Gase's scheme. Some of me thinks, some of the line issues are really related to scheme and prioritization on the run.  

I say that because Long is the only guy who "physically" has degraded and Daniels has all of the talent in the world at center.  I absolutely don't believe the Bears blocking issues are "talent" issues, however, they might be crap scheme and lack of commitment to the run issues (combined with poor fundamental play by certain players this year (see Leno). Again, I'm excluding Long from this since he clearly had significant issues.  

1 hour ago, Balta1701 said:

It's the line.  There haven't been any holes. Hunt wasn't a straight ahead runner and thrived in a similar offense. Same with shady McCoy. 

2 hours ago, Balta1701 said:

Look at the holes the packers RBS get to run through tonight. The bears RBS haven't had one of those this entire year.

I know every team gets the benefit of the doubt on questionable calls here and there (and vice versa) but is it me or do the Packers seem to get way more favorable calls than get screwed by bad calls? Maybe the Patriots too? Those two penalties were so bad, you really have to start wondering...

Edited by MexSoxFan#1

1 minute ago, MexSoxFan#1 said:

I know every team gets the benefit of the doubt on questionable calls (and vice versa) but is it me or do the Packers seem to get way more favorable calls than get screwed by bad calls? Maybe the Patriots too?

Packers get every call. It’s a fact of life. 

21 minutes ago, Chisoxfn said:

The Packers had one of the worst calls against them in NFL history against the Seahawks a few years back.

GB absolutely benefitted from calls tonight but they get as many shit calls against them as any other team.

• Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, Chisoxfn said:

Ha, it seems like it.

They really should coaches challenge really bad calls, I mean these weren't even questionable. When they are that hilariously bad, there should be a way to challenge it.

Commentators mentioned that those hands to the face calls Flowers had tonight we're the first and second time it has happened in his career, lol. Correct me if I'm wrong but didn't the first call kept a Packer drive alive after the Lions stopped GB and eventually ended in a TD? I was nodding off at that point.

20 minutes ago, BackDoorBreach said:

The Packers had one of the worst calls against them in NFL history against the Seahawks a few years back.

GB absolutely benefitted from calls tonight but they get as many shit calls against them as any other team.

The Pack also benefitted from that Dez Bryant catch that was ruled a catch on the field and later reversed...

1 hour ago, MexSoxFan#1 said:

The Pack also benefitted from that Dez Bryant catch that was ruled a catch on the field and later reversed...

And MN also benefitted from the sack on Cousins last year by Matthews that was called Roughing.  We can do this all night.  There are shit calls in every game.

• Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, Jenksismyhero said:

Didn't the Packers benefit from the one pass interference review that was overturned this season? Some TD came off the board during halftime of week 2 or 3.

Yeah I believe it was the pick play against Denver.  It was clearly a pick play and it was one of the few that has been overturned.

The refs are a joke for every team. The Chubb RTP vs the Bears was a joke. The refs missing about 17 chop blocks in favor of Oakland vs the Bears was a joke. The two IHTTF calls last night in favor of GB were a joke. The league needs to put their foot down and do something. Suspending/fining refs, mandatory offseason schooling, I don't know, but something has to change.

If, logistically, that's a challenge, then make it simple: HC's get 3 challenges and every penalty can be reviewed.