NFL Thread 2019-2020

1 minute ago, soxfan49 said:

The refs are a joke for every team. The Chubb RTP vs the Bears was a joke. The refs missing about 17 chop blocks in favor of Oakland vs the Bears was a joke. The two IHTTF calls last night in favor of GB were a joke. The league needs to put their foot down and do something. Suspending/fining refs, mandatory offseason schooling, I don't know, but something has to change.

If, logistically, that's a challenge, then make it simple: HC's get 3 challenges and every penalty can be reviewed.

I think a huge problem is there is zero transparency into how refs are graded/punished/retained/coaches etc.   so we are all screaming at our TVs week in week out wondering when it's going to get better and it never does 

9 minutes ago, soxfan49 said:

The refs are a joke for every team. The Chubb RTP vs the Bears was a joke. The refs missing about 17 chop blocks in favor of Oakland vs the Bears was a joke. The two IHTTF calls last night in favor of GB were a joke. The league needs to put their foot down and do something. Suspending/fining refs, mandatory offseason schooling, I don't know, but something has to change.

If, logistically, that's a challenge, then make it simple: HC's get 3 challenges and every penalty can be reviewed.

I think they just need to go with the league having a review suite with specialized people covering all the games and they can swoop down and correct a play where appropriate (kind of on the fly).  Basically, take the fans view of what is being reviewed & discussed out of the game and leave it to a black box. I think it allows the game to be played faster and a coach, if they feel strongly, essentially calls a timeout to ensure more time for the league to review it.  

Basically than you give far more flexibility to the league to get things right, where something is clear & obvious.  For example, most of the time, I don't think you'd review a hands to the face...in this case, you'd take a quick look live and boom...correction.  No need to throw a review flag or for the refs to come off the field, etc.  Stick with booth review on all scoring plays & turnovers as well (so you know those get looked at no matter what...given the level of importance) and everything else is done to the camera in the sky.  

I really think the Rams are too aggressive in how much they give up draft capital.  I appreciate their aggressiveness, but we all know my views on draft capital. I think you want to stockpile enough, so you can operate from a position of strength and capitalize where appropriate (when it comes to selling & buying) picks.  I applaud the Jags for being able to get 2 1st round picks.  

5 hours ago, Jack Parkman said:

People need to realize that teams with good QBs get calls because those teams being in the playoffs is good for business. It's all about the benjamins. 

Oh god. Just stop

6 hours ago, Kyyle23 said:

I think a huge problem is there is zero transparency into how refs are graded/punished/retained/coaches etc.   so we are all screaming at our TVs week in week out wondering when it's going to get better and it never does 

Exactly. Same with MLB umpires to an extent. I feel like they abuse their power. Make bad calls, throw out the manager/player for being furious. Heaven forbid arguing a ball or strike because that gets you immediately tossed. Don't have to answer to the media postgame. Remember the Galarraga "almost perfect game?" While it was nice that the ump was emotional after the fact, it doesn't help the way he acted initially nor the financials that it cost the player. That probably cost him hundreds of thousands of dollars, not in MLB contracts but in autograph signings and appearances. It's garbage

8 hours ago, Chisoxfn said:

I think they just need to go with the league having a review suite with specialized people covering all the games and they can swoop down and correct a play where appropriate (kind of on the fly).  Basically, take the fans view of what is being reviewed & discussed out of the game and leave it to a black box. I think it allows the game to be played faster and a coach, if they feel strongly, essentially calls a timeout to ensure more time for the league to review it.  

Basically than you give far more flexibility to the league to get things right, where something is clear & obvious.  For example, most of the time, I don't think you'd review a hands to the face...in this case, you'd take a quick look live and boom...correction.  No need to throw a review flag or for the refs to come off the field, etc.  Stick with booth review on all scoring plays & turnovers as well (so you know those get looked at no matter what...given the level of importance) and everything else is done to the camera in the sky.  

I think they need to make all officials full time employees and train them year round. I know they are phasing it in but they should just do it now and maybe it will help the quality.

8 hours ago, Kyyle23 said:

I disagree. the officaials are responsible to the league and teams not the fans. It really doesn't matter what the fans say. Just like a good GM doesn't run his team with fan input, neither should a ref.

1 hour ago, soxfan49 said:

Oh god. Just stop

Exactly. Same with MLB umpires to an extent. I feel like they abuse their power. Make bad calls, throw out the manager/player for being furious. Heaven forbid arguing a ball or strike because that gets you immediately tossed. Don't have to answer to the media postgame. Remember the Galarraga "almost perfect game?" While it was nice that the ump was emotional after the fact, it doesn't help the way he acted initially nor the financials that it cost the player. That probably cost him hundreds of thousands of dollars, not in MLB contracts but in autograph signings and appearances. It's garbage

Do you really think that sitting in front of the media talking about a blown call is going to improve the quality of the calls? Should the league just let the mangers argue every ball/strike call? If you think that the games are long now , imagine if they let the manager come out and argue all the time. Those aren't the answers.

It may make you as a fan feel better but it will kill the game with 4 hour games.

10 hours ago, ptatc said:

I disagree. the officaials are responsible to the league and teams not the fans. It really doesn't matter what the fans say. Just like a good GM doesn't run his team with fan input, neither should a ref.

GMs don't operate in complete silence with zero repercussions for their actions.   I'm not saying that referees should be strung up on a pole and stoned by the public when they screw up, but it would be nice to know that if a guy makes a bunch of awful calls or is graded out extremely poorly, he isn't going to be in important playoff games or is even suspended.

10 hours ago, ptatc said:

Do you really think that sitting in front of the media talking about a blown call is going to improve the quality of the calls? Should the league just let the mangers argue every ball/strike call? If you think that the games are long now , imagine if they let the manager come out and argue all the time. Those aren't the answers.

It may make you as a fan feel better but it will kill the game with 4 hour games.

Facing repercussions? Yes I think that'll improvs. I never said argue balls and strikes at length is good for the game but one peep and the player or coach is tossed. That typically happens when the umpire has sucked for the entire game yet he has the power to continue to suck without penalty & throw out guys who fans paid to see, and it sucks

1 hour ago, Kyyle23 said:

GMs don't operate in complete silence with zero repercussions for their actions.   I'm not saying that referees should be strung up on a pole and stoned by the public when they screw up, but it would be nice to know that if a guy makes a bunch of awful calls or is graded out extremely poorly, he isn't going to be in important playoff games or is even suspended.

It would be nice to appease the fans but would it really improve the quality of their calls? They already get to work the playoffs based on their grades during the season. If they aren't calling playoff games, they were graded poorly compared to their colleagues.

Facing repercussions? Yes I think that'll improvs. I never said argue balls and strikes at length is good for the game but one peep and the player or coach is tossed. That typically happens when the umpire has sucked for the entire game yet he has the power to continue to suck without penalty & throw out guys who fans paid to see, and it sucks

What repercussions would you like? They already get graded and the highest grades get to work the playoffs and get bonus money. 

If you allow the managers to argue strikes/balls it won't just be at the end of the game if the ump has been bad. Managers will take advantage of it and do it throughout the entire game to give their team an advantage. Look at football. the coaches are constantly yelling at the sidejudge about calls. If you allow the manager to do this to the homeplate ump all game, it will take away from his job at the plate.

9 hours ago, ptatc said:

What repercussions would you like? They already get graded and the highest grades get to work the playoffs and get bonus money. 

If you allow the managers to argue strikes/balls it won't just be at the end of the game if the ump has been bad. Managers will take advantage of it and do it throughout the entire game to give their team an advantage. Look at football. the coaches are constantly yelling at the sidejudge about calls. If you allow the manager to do this to the homeplate ump all game, it will take away from his job at the plate.

Oh, so now the NFL refs suck because coaches yell at them? In every sport, coaches yell at refs. So what?

Oh, so now the NFL refs suck because coaches yell at them? In every sport, coaches yell at refs. So what?

I don't believe that is what I said. It was an example of how if you allow coaches to yell and the officials. the coaches will take advantage of it. It was in reference to your statement that the umps in baseball are too powerful and can throw mangers out for even arguing balls/strikes. My response was that they can't allow the mangers to argue balls/strikes because the games will take forever if they allow it. Just look at the nfl. If they let the coaches argue with the officials they will, all the time, not just and the end of a game when the officials have been bad as you stated.

They officials aren't bad because they argue with the coaches. The officials are bad because it's a part time job and they don't practice enough.

11 hours ago, ptatc said:

I don't believe that is what I said. It was an example of how if you allow coaches to yell and the officials. the coaches will take advantage of it. It was in reference to your statement that the umps in baseball are too powerful and can throw mangers out for even arguing balls/strikes. My response was that they can't allow the mangers to argue balls/strikes because the games will take forever if they allow it. Just look at the nfl. If they let the coaches argue with the officials they will, all the time, not just and the end of a game when the officials have been bad as you stated.

They officials aren't bad because they argue with the coaches. The officials are bad because it's a part time job and they don't practice enough.

I think you're contradicting yourself a bit here. I never said allow them to argue balls and strikes for minutes on end. Usually in that case, that's a good time to toss the manager or player, but my point is, why can't they do it at all? One yelp from the dugout and they're gone. That's bullshit.

It's not like NFL/NBA/NHL coaches yelling at the officials/umpires extends the game right. There's a circumstance or two every few games where the coach wants to stop the game to speak to all of the officials, but again it's rare, and what does that extend the game by? 5 minutes? It's also typically warranted because the call is either horrible or flat out incorrect.

And you kind of did say the officials are bad because they argue because you said "if you allow the manager to do this to the homeplate ump all game, it will take away from his job at the plate." If the ump sucks because he's being yelled at, then he should probably find a new career or at least do his current one better.