NFL Thread 2019-2020

34 minutes ago, bmags said:

Even seeing Trevor Lawrence struggle in his second year (a bit), you just can't evaluate a QB with just one year starting in college.Defenses took away all of Trubisky's comfort plays, and he just cannot adjust.

It sucks, there is no easy path forward for bears. Andy Dalton has to be the move. He has a very reasonable deal.

Dalton is probably an upgrade but not much. It's worth questioning whether he would be a significant difference maker 

24 minutes ago, GoSox05 said:

If the Bears are done with Trubisky, you have to fire the GM right?  He traded up to the 2nd overall spot and took a bad QB and passed on two superstar qb's. 

Not to mention some of his other mistakes.  The whole RB situation, Anthony Miller looks like a 2nd round bust.  Overpaid average players, Burton and Gabriel. 

The way he has drafted in general has been more bad than good.  He trades away a lot of picks to move up.

Don't forget Shaheen being bad.

Burton led the team in TD's last year. He's just kind of a p**** as it turns out and Gabriel, imo, is actually pretty good. Stats say he catches everything. Unfortunately he gets nothing thrown his way. Agree on Miller. He's incredibly aggravating. Floyd also blows

Edited by soxfan49

4 minutes ago, soxfan49 said:

Dalton is probably an upgrade but not much. It's worth questioning whether he would be a significant difference maker 

Don't forget Shaheen being bad.

Burton led the team in TD's last year. He's just kind of a p**** as it turns out and Gabriel, imo, is actually pretty good. Stats say he catches everything. Unfortunately he gets nothing thrown his way. Agree on Miller. He's incredibly aggravating. Floyd also blows

Dalton is a much better qb than trubisky but at the very least has a much higher floor. His offensive talent now is terrible.

11 minutes ago, Eloy Jiménez said:

That would be a mistake.  That defense as built is pretty darn good and he didn't start with much.  You just don't fire a GM when they build a team like last year's.

It's up to Pace to pull the plug on Trubisky early.

He built a good defense, but it seems like he built it for a two or three year run and to get to that it cost a ton of cap space and draft capital to do so.

They have several free agents on defense for next year, HaHa and Trevathan.   They have to figure out what to do with Floyd, he is due for an increase in salary or you let him go and replace him with who?  Still have to pay Eddie Jackson, who will want to be one of the highest paid safeties in football. Probably around 12-14 per year. 

He has limited draft picks to replace players next year and he may need to trade for or sign a QB, that is going to cost 15 million plus next year.  Dalton makes 17 million a year and you have to trade for him.

If you keep him, he has his work cut out for himself.

Just now, Tony said:

How much of this has to do with Mitch and a really bad O-line, though? 

Either way, this whole thing is spiraling out of control. They are 3-3 but I honestly can't think of a worse start to the season based on where this team is right now, it's a total disaster. 

He built that OL, so if the OL is bad it's his fault as well. 

He paid Whitehair a ton of money.  Traded up to get Daniels.  I'm not sure Leno should be at LT, Massie is ok for RT, but is making a ton and they have no RG. 

4 minutes ago, GoSox05 said:

He built a good defense, but it seems like he built it for a two or three year run and to get to that it cost a ton of cap space and draft capital to do so.

They have several free agents on defense for next year, HaHa and Trevathan.   They have to figure out what to do with Floyd, he is due for an increase in salary or you let him go and replace him with who?  Still have to pay Eddie Jackson, who will want to be one of the highest paid safeties in football. Probably around 12-14 per year. 

He has limited draft picks to replace players next year and he may need to trade for or sign a QB, that is going to cost 15 million plus next year.  Dalton makes 17 million a year and you have to trade for him.

If you keep him, he has his work cut out for himself.

They'll definitely keep him. 

I'm starting to think Kaepernick would be a decent choice.

Just now, GoSox05 said:

He paid Whitehair a ton of money.  Traded up to get Daniels.  I'm not sure Leno should be at LT, Massie is ok for RT, but is making a ton and they have no RG. 

They're scheming guys open and Mitch is missing them.  I think the O line is fine, the defense is good, the offensive tools should be better, but the play calling and QB play are problematic.

8 minutes ago, Tony said:

How much of this has to do with Mitch and a really bad O-line, though? 

Either way, this whole thing is spiraling out of control. They are 3-3 but I honestly can't think of a worse start to the season based on where this team is right now, it's a total disaster. 

The OL stinks but they were fine yesterday

6 minutes ago, GoSox05 said:

I don't think he traded up for Daniels. Either way, Whitehair is really good but yeah the rest of them, aside from yesterday, suck.

7 minutes ago, GoSox05 said:

He didn't trade up to get Daniels.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Tony said:

But that's not really what you were saying. The players themselves, Montgomery, Miller, Burtron, Gabriel.....I don't consider them "problem spots" but if you have a better QB and/or QB, those players aren't issues. 

Maybe, but they just might all be problem spots.

Bears are putting up similar offensive number as the Dolphins and Jets(who were on their like 5th string QB).  So it might be a little of everything.

2 minutes ago, GoSox05 said:

I was thinking of the trade they made with New England.  That might have been for Miller.

It was and he's a gigantic headcase it seems.

In two weeks he missed an important ST tackle due to effort, had a huge UC penalty, and ran 2 wrong routes (at least). Rumors last year were that he was late to a lot of meetings. I'd try to trade him and perhaps someone would bite on a late rounder. I'd see if I could get a 3 or 4 for Floyd, too.

1 minute ago, GoSox05 said:

Maybe, but they just might all be problem spots.

Bears are putting up similar offensive number as the Dolphins and Jets(who were on their like 5th string QB).  So it might be a little of everything.

Well, considering when mitch was good last year the offense was good, they're not ALL problem spots.

25 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

If there's one thing that all 30 owners care about more than winning it's punishing Kaepernick for what he did.

Can you really blame them for not wanting to sign a backup QB with the circus that would follow? If he was good he would be on a team. He might be better than other backups, but he's still a backup.

14 minutes ago, Eloy Jiménez said:

Well, considering when mitch was good last year the offense was good, they're not ALL problem spots.

Bears offense wasn't good last year either, but they were somewhat efficient.

This year is a complete mess on almost every level outside of Robinson and maybe Cohen.

1 minute ago, GoSox05 said:

Bears offense wasn't good last year either, but they were somewhat efficient.

This year is a complete mess on almost every level outside of Robinson and maybe Cohen.

They had some great games and some bad games.  They weren't consistently horrible like this.

3 minutes ago, Boogua said:

Can you really blame them for not wanting to sign a backup QB with the circus that would follow? If he was good he would be on a team. He might be better than other backups, but he's still a backup.

Your second sentence is argued against by your first sentence. 

Cohen averaged 5.2 yards per touch under old school, game passed him by John Fox. He is averaging 4.5 this year under offensive guru Nagy. 

The offense started sputtering near the end of last season, and has been as awful through the first 6 games as any Bears team since 1975.

I mentioned a while ago, a friend of mine who knows football as well as anyone I know told me the league caught up to Nagy, and the guy admittedly has no answers. That is not good. What a difference a year makes.

On the bright side personally,  I am in the 500s on the season ticket wait list. 2020 is now a distinct possibility. 

6 minutes ago, Boogua said:

Huh? He's not good. He's a backup. If he was good he would be on a team. He's not good.

And why is his name being brought up here? Because even if he's a "Backup", there are usually 10 teams at any given time that he'd be a better QB than the one they're running out there, including right now the Chicago Bears, but those teams are willing to lose games to make sure they put him in his place. Right now the Bears are getting QB performance that is so bad that a "Backup" could be the kind of upgrade that puts them in the playoffs with their defense, but it is more important to teams to make sure he knows his place than it is to make a run at the playoffs.