southsider2k5

'''NFL Thread '2019-'2020 THIS IS ''''THE BEARS' YEAR!

43 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

How much space do they have left? 

I'm reading 12-13MIL.

2 minutes ago, justBLAZE said:

I'm reading 12-13MIL.

You ok giving Bush the SS spot? I'm not so sure. Idk what they should do with the remainder of their dollars. 

17 minutes ago, Tony said:

The NFL salary cap is so confusing, I'm not even gonna pretend to act like I understand what this tweet means.  Other than more salary cap money, I think.

11 minutes ago, LittleHurt05 said:

The NFL salary cap is so confusing, I'm not even gonna pretend to act like I understand what this tweet means.  Other than more salary cap money, I think.

From the way I understand it, you just kick the can down the road basically. But it will be paid eventually, and the Bears will find themselves in cap hell at some point. But if that’s in two years from now and they all have rings on, it will be a lot easier to swallow. 

10 minutes ago, Tony said:

From the way I understand it, you just kick the can down the road basically. But it will be paid eventually, and the Bears will find themselves in cap hell at some point. But if that’s in two years from now and they all have rings on, it will be a lot easier to swallow. 

Gotcha.  See I thought it was the reverse, like you pay him all this money right now and somehow it's carried over to a previous year in reverse, but whatever.  

Amos to the Pack

Amos and Smith.  Packers have signed more free agents in the last 10 minutes than they did the past 7 years.

Just now, GoSox05 said:

Amos and Smith.  Packers have signed more free agents in the last 10 minutes than they did the past 7 years.

If the Packers are doing it, maybe there's hope for White Sox fans in free agency one day too! 😃

34 minutes ago, LittleHurt05 said:

Gotcha.  See I thought it was the reverse, like you pay him all this money right now and somehow it's carried over to a previous year in reverse, but whatever.  

Amos to the Pack

https://www.theringer.com/2018/3/20/17144242/restructuring-contracts-nfl-gamble
Yeah check out the Von Miller table here, its virtually the same conversion as Macks was.

So the Bears must be chasing after someone if they are going to take that big cap hit in the next few years.

Bell?

Justin Houston?

Just now, GoSox05 said:

So the Bears must be chasing after someone if they are going to take that big cap hit in the next few years.

Bell?

Justin Houston?

Yeah gonna be weird if they just sign cody whitehair, get the cheaper safeties and call it a year.

I'd guess Houston because Bell will have longer term cap issues which the mack situation doesn't clear up.

18 minutes ago, bmags said:

Yeah gonna be weird if they just sign cody whitehair, get the cheaper safeties and call it a year.

I'd guess Houston because Bell will have longer term cap issues which the mack situation doesn't clear up.

I think we're definitely going to try for Houston, a cheaper safety, and a kicker with 25 million in cap space.

15 minutes ago, Kyyle23 said:

Allen Robinson

Trey Burton

Prince Amukamara

Danny Trevathan

1 minute ago, GoSox05 said:

Allen Robinson

Trey Burton

Prince Amukamara

Danny Trevathan

All previous to this year, which is what he is referring to

2 minutes ago, Kyyle23 said:

I'm wondering if Earl Thomas is the guy 

It doesn't seem like you you pull the Mack lever unless you've got something all lined up, and for an impact player. We should find out today I would assume...

1 minute ago, Kyyle23 said:

All previous to this year, which is what he is referring to

They might still be doing it this year as well.  The only reason they won't is because they are short on cap space.

1 minute ago, GoSox05 said:

They might still be doing it this year as well.  The only reason they won't is because they are short on cap space.

Not really.  Signing Bell or Thomas wouldn't qualify as both of those guys are great players.   

12 minutes ago, Tony said:

It doesn't seem like you you pull the Mack lever unless you've got something all lined up, and for an impact player. We should find out today I would assume...

Yeah, gonna be exciting.

1 hour ago, Tony said:

He will be paid earlier, in March actually. But you're right that the signing bonus could be spread over several years, increasing Mack's dead cap the next several years but creating cap space short term.

1 hour ago, LittleHurt05 said:

Bears are using a credit card vs. writing a check.

1 hour ago, LittleHurt05 said:

It's essentially giving him more guaranteed money in the form of a signing bonus up front.  Signing bonuses are dead money against the cap, but lower the cap hit (ala salary).... Harder to cut the player in the future though.  Not that you'd want to, but you had an out on Mack after Y3, but now it's more realistic that Y4/Y5 is the out.  Kicking the can down the road is a good analogy. 

Edited by Soxnfins