NFL Thread 2019-2020

58 minutes ago, Moan4Yoan said:

27 NFL games...  but remember, he barely played at NC!

Yeah those first 12 games with Fox and Loggains sure were valuable

My biggest issue with Trubisky right now is his lack of good play in primetime games. Those are the ones the nation sees and those are the ones we rate highest as Bears fans because they're usually against good teams/important games. He's really bad on primetime but really good outside of those games. I think his TD/INT ratio is like 1:2 in primetime but better than 3:1 otherwise

• Haha 1
  • Love 1

I think we may have underrated the Packers D. Hub Arkush last year, when Nagy was hired, said that Mike Pettine would have been an upgrade over Fangio. He's a really good DC, and between Alexander, King, Jackson and that safety they drafted this year their secondary is stacked for a while. It's going to be hard to pass on them. I liked all of those guys coming out of college. They have some good players on D, and their Dline is really good. This might be the best defense they've had  since 2010, when they won the whole damn thing. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, soxfan49 said:

Yeah those first 12 games with Fox and Loggains sure were valuable

My biggest issue with Trubisky right now is his lack of good play in primetime games. Those are the ones the nation sees and those are the ones we rate highest as Bears fans because they're usually against good teams/important games. He's really bad on primetime but really good outside of those games. I think his TD/INT ratio is like 1:2 in primetime but better than 3:1 otherwise

The Bears have scored less than 20 points in 9 of the past 18 games. Enough with the primetime nonsense. Enough blaming John Fox. 

Mitch is great vs the worst teams in the NFL. Congratulations. 

• Love 1

After sleeping on this, I think that everyone was rusty against a good defense. No more fucking around. If Nagy continues to outdo Reid in run-pass ratio with Montgomery here, I'm going to pull what's left of my hair out. Nagy really needs to get the gauntlet from the media about that shit. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Moan4Yoan said:

So you apparently have no stance on whether Trubisky is good or not?  That’s an easy stance to take.  You can never be wrong or look bad then!

The fact is, if you could go back and do the draft all over, you would rather have Mahomes or Watson too.  That’s all I need to know.

Lol...my stance is pretty clear.  I like the tools but acknowledge he has limited experience and will need time.  So far I’ve been disappointed, but unlike you I’m not looking for the medal from being the first one time write him off.  After this season I’ll have a stronger opinion.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

56 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Lol...my stance is pretty clear.  I like the tools but acknowledge he has limited experience and will need time.  So far I’ve been disappointed, but unlike you I’m not looking for the medal from being the first one time write him off.  After this season I’ll have a stronger opinion.

That's pretty reasonable. I agree that Mitch will need more time because of the inexperience. The huge issue is that the Bears are ready to win now and Mitch isn't ready to win yet. There was a metric shit ton of hyperbole from everyone, myself included last night because it was so damn disappointing. Props to you for keeping a level head, but that is really hard to do (for me especially) in-game and immediately post-mortem(on a loss is what I mean here) CWS, we're fans. We don't have to keep a level head 100% of the time. That's not what fans do. In-game is the hardest for me. 

Some of the shit I say isn't communicated the best, in the moment when I'm incredibly disappointed and pissed. 

When I said they would be the Jaguars from last year, I meant if they continue to play as poorly as they did last night. Sometimes I miss qualifiers like that, and my posts get misinterpreted because of that. I need to be more careful.  I'm not entirely sure that they'll lose next week, but I do think it's going to be a tougher game than most imagined. So can we please cancel the threadban bet? Thank you. 

Trubisky could be one of those guys who gets run out of town at the place that drafted him and becomes great with his second team later in his career, like Kurt Warner or Rich Gannon. 

Edited by Jack Parkman
  • Love 2

12 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

That's pretty reasonable. I agree that Mitch will need more time because of the inexperience. The huge issue is that the Bears are ready to win now and Mitch isn't ready to win yet. There was a metric shit ton of hyperbole from everyone, myself included last night because it was so damn disappointing. Props to you for keeping a level head, but that is really hard to do (for me especially) in-game and immediately post-mortem(on a loss is what I mean here) CWS, we're fans. We don't have to keep a level head 100% of the time. That's not what fans do. In-game is the hardest for me. 

Some of the shit I say isn't communicated the best, in the moment when I'm incredibly disappointed and pissed. 

When I said they would be the Jaguars from last year, I meant if they continue to play as poorly as they did last night. Sometimes I miss qualifiers like that, and my posts get misinterpreted because of that. I need to be more careful.  I'm not entirely sure that they'll lose next week, but I do think it's going to be a tougher game than most imagined. So can we please cancel the threadban bet? Thank you. 

Trubisky could be one of those guys who gets run out of town at the place that drafted him and becomes great with his second team later in his career, like Kurt Warner or Rich Gannon. 

Your last paragraph is hilarious. Gannon and Warner were statues with GREAT accuracy that fit their offenses perfectly. Mitch is a run first qb who doesnt understand defenses or reads, who has poor accuracy. 

People citing the p/r rate have no idea how many RPO's nagy called and how many Mitch misread and turned into a pass when it should have been a run.

And the inexperience excuse for the 3rd overall pick in the NFL in his third season is just laughable. He wasn't a three year+ project when they traded a ton to move up one spot to get him. That excuse worked for one season. The third overall pick as a QB doesnt need three years to develop and gain experience.

Edited by Look at Ray Ray Run
  • Love 1

1 hour ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

Lol your last paragraph is hilarious. 

And the inexperience excuse for the 3rd overall pick in the NFL in his third season is just laughable. He wasn't a three year+ project when they traded a ton to move up one spot to get him. That excuse worked for one season.

Don't get me wrong, I despised the pick when it happened for that reason. He is a huge project and as such, was incredibly overdrafted. Trubisky shouldn't have been a 1st round pick. He is the most inexperienced QB to ever be taken top 10. The only one even as close to as inexperienced as Trubisky to be drafted that high was Akili Smith in 1999, and he had 20 games of college experience. We all know how that worked out. Mitch would have been a good pick at 45 where they picked Shaheen. He was an absolutely awful pick in the top 10, and I could at least defend it in the last 5 picks of the 1st round. Watson and Mahomes were higher on my board, though I didn't think much of either of them at the time, I thought they were both defensible 1st rounders, albeit outside the top 10. 

Mitch is absolutely a 3+ year project and it was indefensible to pick him where they did, let alone give up the draft capital that they did. Blame Pace for the severe overdraft, don't blame Mitch for his inexperience. It isn't making excuses, it's just the reality of the situation. If you want to point fingers, point them at Pace. Trubisky probably shouldn't have been playing last year. This is Pace's problem, not Trubisky's. It isn't his fault he was severely overdrafted. 

Trubisky is really talented, but the inexperience screws everything up. And there are questions about him not being able to beat a QB that didn't get a NFL camp invite for his first three years at UNC too. I don't have questions about his work ethic or talent, I have questions about his brain. 

I also admit that the last paragraph is a longshot, but it isn't impossible. 

Edited by Jack Parkman
  • Love 2

3 hours ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

The Bears have scored less than 20 points in 9 of the past 18 games. Enough with the primetime nonsense. Enough blaming John Fox. 

Mitch is great vs the worst teams in the NFL. Congratulations. 

You clearly didn't read what I said. I'm not excusing anything except his time with John Fox.

Also he played pretty well vs the Pats, Seahawks and Vikings (road) last year and those weren't some of the worst teams/defenses.

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

The conclusions drawn about Mitch have been drawn based on 2+ years of NFL quarterbacking.

6 hours ago, Moan4Yoan said:

27 NFL games...  but remember, he barely played at NC!

So 26 NFL games across two seasons in two systems including one year with not a single quality WR after a total of 13 college starts tells you everything you need to know about he guy?  Like my god this is some stupid fucking logic and I love the fact you actually think a lack of college experience doesn’t matter.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, Chicago White Sox said:

He did look like ass and it was a massive disappointment, I just see no reason to panic yet.  I still believe Nagy is an elite offensive coach 95% of the time (he still has his bad moments) and that we have enough weapons to be dangerous even if we don’t see a major leap from Mitch this year.  The defense is simply too good to think this team will crash & burn.

You can't win if you don't score. 

• Love 1

7 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

So 26 NFL games across two seasons in two systems including one year with not a single quality WR after a total of 13 college starts tells you everything you need to know about he guy?  Like my god this is some stupid fucking logic and I love the fact you actually think a lack of college experience doesn’t matter.

It does matter, and that's why he shouldn't have ever been a 1st round prospect, let alone Pace be willing to trade as much as he did to move up one spot to get him. People are pointing the finger at the wrong man. This is 100% on Pace. If Mitch sucks this year it should be Pace's head on a silver platter. I hope George has the balls to whack Pace if this season goes in the shitter. If Mitch sucks, as good as Mack is that trade becomes indefensible. Those two moves were bold, and Pace put his junk on the table with them. You live by the sword, you die by the sword. 

Edited by Jack Parkman
  • Love 2

12 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

It doesn't matter when you draft a guy fucking THIRD overall. You cant say oh he was a 3+ year project as a QB drafted 3rd overall.  That excuse is hilarious and nonsensical. He wasn't some 5th round pick with tools.

The expectations for him when drafted, and frankly now, was/is to be ready to win.

The multiple system excuse was my favorite Cutler excuse and now I guess we use it on mitch too!

• Love 1

20 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

It doesn't matter when you draft a guy fucking THIRD overall. You cant say oh he was a 3+ year project as a QB drafted 3rd overall.  That excuse is hilarious and nonsensical. He wasn't some 5th round pick with tools.

The expectations for him when drafted, and frankly now, was/is to be ready to win.

The multiple system excuse was my favorite Cutler excuse and now I guess we use it on mitch too!

This whole thing was doomed to fail. Trubisky was a project. He was drafted 2nd overall. Both are facts. Because of (1), (2) should have never happened. Pace has done a wonderful job with the rest of the team, but he missed with the QB. Badly. He's Jerry Angelo. Don't let him stick around as long as Jerry did. He shouldn't get that many chances. If this team wins fewer than 9 games Pace should be fired. It is inexcusable to waste this defense on Mitch. It's a fireable offense, really. They owe it to Mack to trade him after this season. He's never winning anything here if Mitch continues to suck. 

Edited by Jack Parkman
  • Love 1

2 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

This is some of the dumbest logic I have ever heard.  Him being drafted 2nd overall (not 3rd) has nothing to do with the readiness of his talent, it was about getting us a long-term answer at QB.  If your expectation was a guy ready to win right out of the gate, then rip Pace for making a bad pick.  I don’t know what to tell you, but Mitch was always going need time to develop.  Wasting a year with Fox and no WRs was stupid as fuck.  Last year in many ways was his first legit season because of that and he showed some promise at times.  He no doubt needs to make major strides this year, but I’m certainly jumping to conclusions over one rusty start where the entire offense looked like shit.  If you want to assume he can’t get better because he was the 2nd overall pick two years ago by all means believe that but I’m going to call you out for what I believe to be dumb logic.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

This is some of the dumbest logic I have ever heard.  Him being drafted 2nd overall (not 3rd) has nothing to do with the readiness of his talent, it was about getting us a long-term answer at QB.  If your expectation was a guy ready to win right out of the gate, then rip Pace for making a bad pick.  I don’t know what to tell you, but Mitch was always going need time to develop.  Wasting a year with Fox and no WRs was stupid as fuck.  Last year in many ways was his first legit season because of that and he showed some promise at times.  He no doubt needs to make major strides this year, but I’m certainly jumping to conclusions over one rusty start where the entire offense looked like shit.  If you want to assume he can’t get better because he was the 2nd overall pick two years ago by all means believe that but I’m going to call you out for what I believe to be dumb logic.

The bolded is the correct answer. 

• Love 1

7 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

What???!?!?!! Drafting a guy 2nd overall doesnt mean he should be ready in less than 3 years? What world do you live in? Mahomes set NFL records in his second year and Watson has been a star. 

In what world do you expect the 2nd overall pick to take 3+ years just to become average? My goodness.

What has mitch shown progress in?

Let's review his weaknesses:

1. Happy feet

2. Stares down his primary target

3. Too quick to run

4. Poor awareness 

5. Cant get through progressions 

What has he improved in any of those since his first year? 

• Love 1

2 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

What???!?!?!! Drafting a guy 2nd overall doesnt mean he should be ready in less than 3 years? What world do you live in? Mahomes set NFL records in his second year and Watson has been a star. 

In what world do you expect the 2nd overall pick to take 3+ years just to become average? My goodness.

1. Happy feet

3. Too quick to run

4. Poor awareness 

We haven't yet seen enough of him this season to evaluate all of those, but last night his footwork was improved while he also struggled with 3/4 on some important plays. 

Whether that was this defense, rust, or something systematic we need a season to evaluate. But you're 100% right there should be substantial improvement on the others.

• Love 1

7 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

1. Happy feet

3. Too quick to run

4. Poor awareness 

At the end of last year he had improved in many of the areas. Yesterday no so much. 

• Like 3
  • Love 1

3 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

When did I ever say it should take 3+ years for him to develop?  To me, this is his make or break year.  Most QBs take their big leap in year two, but most high end draft picks also have at least two full seasons of college starts.  Combine that with what was basically a completely wasted rookie season (horrific coaching & lack of weapons) and this is effectively year two for him.  I need to see major growth from him this year or else I will be ready to call him a bust too. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1