NFL Thread 2019-2020

10 hours ago, Kyyle23 said:

?  I wouldn't say shoulder surgery is more serious than hernia surgery.  

He had the surgery in the spring. IIRC hernias  take about 2 months to recover from

11 hours ago, lostfan said:

Yeah and this isn't the John Fox regime, they are usually pretty forthcoming about these things

That's why I said it's weird because maybe this has to do with his anxiety again. I think they believed he'd be good to go all along

• Like 1

1 hour ago, scs787 said:

How often did Burton line up in the slot?  I feel like he was there the vast majority of the time. With the depth at WR, wht not just run a lot of 4 wide sets with Robinson, Miller, Gabriel, Wims/Ridley? 

Because they want to keep the offense looking the same to the defense so they can't key on anyone

2 hours ago, scs787 said:

How often did Burton line up in the slot?  I feel like he was there the vast majority of the time. With the depth at WR, wht not just run a lot of 4 wide sets with Robinson, Miller, Gabriel, Wims/Ridley? 

I will caveat that our depth at wideout is still pretty unproven. Gabriel isn't great (he had a few really good games, but also some non-existent games) and Miller looked solid for a rookie, but he has had injury issues and hasn't gotten a ton of work during training camp.  Wims and Ridley have proven absolutely nothing at this point and Ridley was missed a ton of training camp.  People are overselling the depth at the position.

In general, I see plenty of reasons this season can be a step or two back.  Part of that is to cool expectations a bit, but we have a tougher schedule, unknowns around health, probably most notably within the secondary (CB & TE) where there is very little proven depth beyond our starters.  Now many of these things are just the nature of the NFL, but just want to point all these things out. We also have people assuming we are going to all of a sudden have a strong ground game, but the Seahawks, a team who likes to run the football, weren't that interested in getting Davis back and Montgomery is still a 3rd round rookie (normally projecting immediate greatness out of a 3rd round pick seems a bit delusional and many fanboys are doing just that).  And of course there is Trubisky, who is still to me squarely in that median range where he could take a big step forward or he could prove that he's not much better than a Tannehil / Marriotta / etc.  

3 hours ago, Chisoxfn said:

I will caveat that our depth at wideout is still pretty unproven. Gabriel isn't great (he had a few really good games, but also some non-existent games) when the ball hit his hands he was as sure-handed as it came last year statistically and Miller looked solid for a rookie, but he has had injury issues and hasn't gotten a ton of work during training camp.  Wims and Ridley have proven absolutely nothing at this point and Ridley was missed a ton of training camp.  People are overselling the depth at the position. You're forgetting Robinson and Patterson + Cohen. How many other teams can say that they have two good receivers, one decent receiver, two very versatile weapons, and two young receivers with some potential? My bet is 0

In general, I see plenty of reasons this season can be a step or two back.  Part of that is to cool expectations a bit, but we have a tougher schedule of the Bears 4 losses last year, 3 were against nonplayoff teams.  If they're as good as we think, they'll be fine. Teams like the Steelers, Pats, Seahawks, etc play the toughest schedules every year, unknowns around health, probably most notably within the secondary (CB & TE) where there is very little proven depth beyond our starters.  Now many of these things are just the nature of the NFL, but just want to point all these things out. We also have people assuming we are going to all of a sudden have a strong ground game, but the Seahawks, a team who likes to run the football, weren't that interested in getting Davis back because Carson is pretty good and they traded up for a RB last year + their cap is tight and Montgomery is still a 3rd round rookie (normally projecting immediate greatness out of a 3rd round pick seems a bit delusional and many fanboys are doing just that) what about Cohen?  And of course there is Trubisky, who is still to me squarely in that median range where he could take a big step forward or he could prove that he's not much better than a Tannehil / Marriotta / etc.  People forget he had 28 total TD's and 12 INT's last year while completing 67% of his passes so if he's slightly better than last year he's a top 12 QB. 

3 hours ago, Chisoxfn said:

I will caveat that our depth at wideout is still pretty unproven. Gabriel isn't great (he had a few really good games, but also some non-existent games) and Miller looked solid for a rookie, but he has had injury issues and hasn't gotten a ton of work during training camp.  Wims and Ridley have proven absolutely nothing at this point and Ridley was missed a ton of training camp.  People are overselling the depth at the position.

In general, I see plenty of reasons this season can be a step or two back.  Part of that is to cool expectations a bit, but we have a tougher schedule, unknowns around health, probably most notably within the secondary (CB & TE) where there is very little proven depth beyond our starters.  Now many of these things are just the nature of the NFL, but just want to point all these things out. We also have people assuming we are going to all of a sudden have a strong ground game, but the Seahawks, a team who likes to run the football, weren't that interested in getting Davis back and Montgomery is still a 3rd round rookie (normally projecting immediate greatness out of a 3rd round pick seems a bit delusional and many fanboys are doing just that).  And of course there is Trubisky, who is still to me squarely in that median range where he could take a big step forward or he could prove that he's not much better than a Tannehil / Marriotta / etc.  

Gabriel was really good last year. Statistically he was as sure handed as there was in the entire league.

I'm not sure how much better you want the depth to be. Cohen can play WR, Patterson is a weapon, Gabriel caught everything thrown at him, Robinson and Miller are good, and Wims and Ridley are developmental guys.

I don't buy the tough schedule thing. The Bears beat the Rams and Seahawks last year. They lost to Green Bay, Miami and the Giants. Good teams sometimes lose to bad teams and vice versa. If the Bears are as good as we think, a tough schedule won't matter. Seattle, NE, Pittsburgh, etc play tough schedules annually and they have no problem repeating success. A lot of teams also have a lack of depth. Depth is just something in fans' imaginations that help them get through a potential severe injury. I mean truly, don't they? Whether it's the Dolphins or Patriots, if they lose their best TE and best CB, they'll probably be in trouble.

The Seahawks didn't keep Davis because they have a really good RB (Carson) and another RB who they're very high on and traded up for (Penney). Why keep Davis for $4M especially when they're already tight against the cap? BTW, I doubt the Bears are going to be relying on this guy a ton this year. You also forgot to mention Cohen in the part about RB's. You're probably right on Montgomery and the hype, but the hype comes from the fact that he's a perfect fit as an RB in Nagy's offense and everyone on the team loves him.

I'd love to see Trubisky improve also, but he was 24/12 in really year 1 last year + another 4 rush TD's and a 67% completion rate. If he throws another 12 touchdowns this year and another 5 INT's, I'd say that's good enough imo.

Edited by soxfan49

6 hours ago, soxfan49 said:

Gabriel was really good last year. Statistically he was as sure handed as there was in the entire league.

I'm not sure how much better you want the depth to be. Cohen can play WR, Patterson is a weapon, Gabriel caught everything thrown at him, Robinson and Miller are good, and Wims and Ridley are developmental guys.

I don't buy the tough schedule thing. The Bears beat the Rams and Seahawks last year. They lost to Green Bay, Miami and the Giants. Good teams sometimes lose to bad teams and vice versa. If the Bears are as good as we think, a tough schedule won't matter. Seattle, NE, Pittsburgh, etc play tough schedules annually and they have no problem repeating success. A lot of teams also have a lack of depth. Depth is just something in fans' imaginations that help them get through a potential severe injury. I mean truly, don't they? Whether it's the Dolphins or Patriots, if they lose their best TE and best CB, they'll probably be in trouble.

The Seahawks didn't keep Davis because they have a really good RB (Carson) and another RB who they're very high on and traded up for (Penney). Why keep Davis for $4M especially when they're already tight against the cap? BTW, I doubt the Bears are going to be relying on this guy a ton this year. You also forgot to mention Cohen in the part about RB's. You're probably right on Montgomery and the hype, but the hype comes from the fact that he's a perfect fit as an RB in Nagy's offense and everyone on the team loves him.

I'd love to see Trubisky improve also, but he was 24/12 in really year 1 last year + another 4 rush TD's and a 67% completion rate. If he throws another 12 touchdowns this year and another 5 INT's, I'd say that's good enough imo.

17 INTs is unacceptable in the modern NFL. Single digits or let him walk. 10-12INTs is a down year for top QBs. NFL teams are getting really stupid with their QB contracts. You shouldn't get $25 M just because you're a QB. Did you see what Goff got paid? This is getting beyond ridiculous. 

It's gotten to the point that if you don't have a future HOF, you need to keep searching and let the guy you have walk. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

1 hour ago, Jack Parkman said:

17 INTs is unacceptable in the modern NFL. Single digits or let him walk. 10-12INTs is a down year for top QBs. NFL teams are getting really stupid with their QB contracts. You shouldn't get $25 M just because you're a QB. Did you see what Goff got paid? This is getting beyond ridiculous. 

It's gotten to the point that if you don't have a future HOF, you need to keep searching and let the guy you have walk. 

I expect the Bears defense to be really good and Trubisky to once again hold them back.  He’s just going to be an above average QB but he’s not going to be a star.  It’s amazing how they could’ve been a dynasty if they took Mahomes instead.  I don’t think I will ever get over that one.

Edited by Moan4Yoan

9 minutes ago, Moan4Yoan said:

I expect the Bears defense to be really good and Trubisky to once again hold them back.  He’s just going to be an above average QB but he’s not going to be a star.  It’s amazing how they could’ve been a dynasty if they took Mahomes instead.  I don’t think I will ever get over that one.

Trubisky was the consensus #1 prospect in that class. There were a lot of draft evaluators that had Mahomes as a late 1st/ early 2nd round pick. Mahomes going top 10 was a shocker, as was him going before Watson. 

You can't blame them that much for that one. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

5 hours ago, Jack Parkman said:

I said this elsewhere, but more teams need to do what Washington did with Kirk Cousins. That gives a team 6 or 7 seasons to see what they have without cap fucking themselves long term. 

The Goff signing has me afraid the Bears will feel pressured to follow suit and guarantee Trubisky way too much money.

https://mobile.twitter.com/AdamSchefter/status/1169056965689040896

8 hours ago, Moan4Yoan said:

How did Trubisky hold them back last year?

9 hours ago, Jack Parkman said:

You're probably right but Mayfield, Roethlisberger and Brady all got close to 17 last year iirc. If they believe in Trubisky he'll be throwing even more this season

6 minutes ago, scs787 said:

I agree with that, but would you rather have Shaheen out there on a LB or Wims/Ridley on a #4 corner or safety. (While Trey is out). 

That's the dilemma.  It's why burton or any blocking and receiving TE is so important for mismatches.

I haven't seen enough of wims/Ridley to know the answer. The answer may be Cohen and Montgomery in the backfield and one of them spilts out on the LB.

Edited by ptatc