NFL Thread 2019-2020

5 minutes ago, Chisoxfn said:

Are you just making random comments from last season?  OR did you see him miss a bunch of open guys this year?  Hell, most of his completions there were DB's all over the wideouts / close. I was not impressed (at all) with the Bears ability to create seperation. Robinson is a pro so he makes things work and doesn't need much seperation, but the rest of the wideouts don't have that benefit (especially given how small Gabriel is).  

I saw him miss guys tonight. I can't stand Gabriel and I think he should have been cut. He's too expensive for what he brings. You have to be a tick below Usain Bolt at his size to create separation in the NFL. He's so small that he has to be wide open to actually be open. 

Even if Trubisky gets better later this year, this game will be a ton of the narrative because it's at home against Green Bay. 

I'm not entirely ready to  commit Bears seppuku after calming down a bit, but another game or two with an offensive performance like this and I will be. 

Edited by Jack Parkman
  • Love 1

Most of the problems the Bears had tonight are fixable but not gonna lie, it was discouraging seeing Trubisky doing things he was supposed to have developed beyond by this point. I ignored his rookie season entirely, and I gave him a pass for his inability to progress on his reads until later in the season, but at this point he shouldn't be having those issues anymore. I don't think Trubisky even looked in Anthony Miller's general direction the entire game - that wasn't on Nagy either

• Love 1

@Chicago White Sox

Listen, Mitch looked like ass tonight. Yes, it's only one game. This is going to stick with him a long time because its vs GB at home in primetime. He could get better, and Nagy did him no favors. I was pissed because I expected more. That's all. This game feels a lot like the 2007 opener vs. The Chargers. Just a huge, massive disappointment. 

Edited by Jack Parkman
  • Like 3

Just now, lostfan said:

Most of the problems the Bears had tonight are fixable but not gonna lie, it was discouraging seeing Trubisky doing things he was supposed to have developed beyond by this point. I ignored his rookie season entirely, and I gave him a pass for his inability to progress on his reads until later in the season, but at this point he shouldn't be having those issues anymore. I don't think Trubisky even looked in Anthony Miller's general direction the entire game - that wasn't on Nagy either

Not throwing to Miller is a huge mistake. He's good. So is Robinson. Maybe they should give Wims Gabriel's spot if Mitch likes bigger receivers. 

9 minutes ago, lostfan said:

I just want to point out, everyone things Miller kicks ass.  He isn't a proven superstar or something and he missed a ton of practice time this off-season and you've heard a lot from coaches (last year and even this off-season) how he is not consistent in his breaks, etc.  Dude has talent, so I am not saying he's a bum, but people talk about Miller like he's a proven 1000 yard receiver.  

Fuck it...I'll throw out my prediction. 30+ TDs for Mitch this year.  

• Haha 1

32 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

Mitch overthrows guys constantly, (especially on seam routes down the middle of the field) and he has trouble hitting guys on the sidelines. He's overthrowing and underthrowing nearly every pass. He's just off. 

That's what happens when the coach doesnt play them in the preseason. The first couple of games will be real speed practice and that's exactly what this game showed, for both teams.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, ptatc said:

That's what happens when the coach doesnt play them in the preseason. The first couple of games will be real speed practice and that's exactly what this game showed, for both teams.

Nagy caught a lot of shit for that last year but the criticism died down because he kept winning games. This time it was glaring, and really hard to argue that was a good call.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

For the record, I wanted Watson and Watson is much better than Mitch as well imo. 

4 hours ago, Jack Parkman said:

For the record, I wanted Watson as well. I didn't think that a QB would go top 5 that year.

Quite a few of us did.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, SoxAce said:

Quite a few of us did.

At the very least I (like a lot of others) thought it was completely baffling that Pace gave up so much draft capital to move up one space, when he literally could not get that pick wrong. Someone trades ahead of you to get Trubisky you take Watson (everyone's revisionist about Mahomes, people weren't calling him a top 5 pick) and if the other team takes Watson you end up with Trubisky. I know this has been discussed to death but still.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SoxAce said:

Quite a few of us did.

What I wanted them to do was trade down with the Browns, who were rumored to want Trubisky, let them be the idiots and take Watson at 12. Watson ended up going at 12. I thought Mahomes was going to be available at the Bears pick in the 2nd round. I was beyond shocked he went top 10. 

That being said, I look like an idiot for saying that that QB class was awful, because Watson and Mahomes are awesome. I didn't think any were going to be that good. The one I had the most conviction about being bad was Trubisky. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

6 hours ago, Jack Parkman said:

I couldn't control myself on the site, but how about this: I won't post in this thread until after the bye week. You down? I'm not doing a football related ban bet on a baseball board until baseball season is over. And it would have to be lifted when the Sox make their first moderate level move this offseason. 

I have too much PTSD with QBs to ever think that they will find one that doesn't completely suck. Cutler sucked. I'm not sure Trubisky is even as good as Cutler. 

Alright, the ban bet will only be for the NFL thread.  So depending on the outcome of next week’s game vs the Broncos, one of us will not be able to post in this thread from 9/16 until 10/14.  It has been agreed upon.

5 hours ago, Chisoxfn said:

This. And it is one game. One game. This thread is absurd.  There are a lot of fingers on offense and they need to clean this up. Looked like a unit totally unprepared. 

When they got momentum, penalties or drops would immediately shoot them in the foot. No rhythm to the play calling either and I totally didn’t get the use of all the running backs. 

They will get better (and this is coming from the guy who a couple days ago specifically said I had major questions about the offense). I also didn’t see a ton of explosiveness from the wideouts or others. Didn’t see a bunch of wide open guys all over the field who Mitch was missing. 

One game. Period. Move on. 

Awesome post.  We literally had a poster call a 2018 Pro Bowl QB “Henry Burris” last night, which reflects the irrational negativity & ridiculous exaggerations this board has come to love.  The hot takes were out in full force last night and unfortunately with Bears fans even the smartest ones can’t contain their inner meatball at times (especially when the Packers are involved).

Regardless, I’m highly confident Nagy will take the next 10 days to get this unit prepared and that the offense will look an entirely different animal vs Denver.

• Haha 1

42 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Awesome post.  We literally had a poster call a 2018 Pro Bowl QB “Henry Burris” last night, which reflects the irrational negativity & ridiculous exaggerations this board has come to love.  The hot takes were out in full force last night and unfortunately with Bears fans even the smartest ones can’t contain their inner meatball at times (especially when the Packers are involved).

Regardless, I’m highly confident Nagy will take the next 10 days to get this unit prepared and that the offense will look an entirely different animal vs Denver.

Obviously, that was hyperbole because he looked so awful.  However, I just don’t think Trubisky is any good.  Is it okay to disagree with you?

He’s a QB who is great at scrambling to avoid contact and running for first downs but he isn’t good at throwing the ball with any consistent accuracy which is not a recipe for success in today’s NFL.  He has no awareness as a pocket passer and he keys in on his first read far too often and attempts to force the ball in.  Trubisky missed multiple wide open receivers last night because he either never saw them or never looked their way.  The guy should have finished with 3 interceptions last night.

He will ultimately be what holds this ridiculous defense and team back.

Edited by Moan4Yoan
  • Love 1

5 hours ago, Jack Parkman said:

@Chicago White Sox

Listen, Mitch looked like ass tonight. Yes, it's only one game. This is going to stick with him a long time because its vs GB at home in primetime. He could get better, and Nagy did him no favors. I was pissed because I expected more. That's all. This game feels a lot like the 2007 opener vs. The Chargers. Just a huge, massive disappointment. 

He did look like ass and it was a massive disappointment, I just see no reason to panic yet.  I still believe Nagy is an elite offensive coach 95% of the time (he still has his bad moments) and that we have enough weapons to be dangerous even if we don’t see a major leap from Mitch this year.  The defense is simply too good to think this team will crash & burn.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

So Tramon Williams said that their game plan was to make Trubisky throw the ball and Amos also predicted Nagy’s play calling.  What does this say?

Obviously, Nagy did a bad job coaching last night but even worse, it shows that Trubisky isn’t respected as a passer.

Edited by Moan4Yoan
  • Love 1

41 minutes ago, Moan4Yoan said:

Obviously, that was hyperbole because he looked so awful.  However, I just don’t think Trubisky is any good.  Is it okay to disagree with you?

He’s a QB who is great at scrambling to avoid contact and running for first downs but he isn’t good at throwing the ball with any consistent accuracy which is not a recipe for success in today’s NFL.  He has no awareness as a pocket passer and he keys in on his first read far too often and attempts to force the ball in.  Trubisky missed multiple wide open receivers last night because he either never saw them or never looked their way.  The guy should have finished with 3 interceptions last night.

He will ultimately be what holds this ridiculous defense and team back.

I have never argued Trubisky is actually good, I’m just ripping you for drawing sweeping conclusions based on a game where most of the offense was clearly rusty from a lack of preseason reps.  But if there is a negative angle to take, there is no doubt you will leach onto it with full force so ultimately none of this is very surprising.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

I have never argued Trubisky is actually good, I’m just ripping you for drawing sweeping conclusions based on a game where most of the offense was clearly rusty from a lack of preseason reps.  But if there is a negative angle to take, there is no doubt you will leach onto it with full force so ultimately none of this is very surprising.

So you apparently have no stance on whether Trubisky is good or not?  That’s an easy stance to take.  You can never be wrong or look bad then!

The fact is, if you could go back and do the draft all over, you would rather have Mahomes or Watson too.  That’s all I need to know.

Edited by Moan4Yoan
  • Love 1

6 hours ago, lostfan said:

Nagy caught a lot of shit for that last year but the criticism died down because he kept winning games. This time it was glaring, and really hard to argue that was a good call.

The thing is you are still weighing one rusty game with your whole team you’ve practiced with or 3-4 guys on IR for 8 weeks

1 hour ago, Chicago White Sox said:

The conclusions drawn about Mitch have been drawn based on 2+ years of NFL quarterbacking.