NFL Thread 2019-2020

3 hours ago, Chicago White Sox said:

To Gruden’s credit, he purposely flew in earlier than had in the past because he thought it was that important.

They played in Indianapolis last week. They weren't going to go to Indy then fly back to CA then back to London. Schedule makers intentionally forced them in the ET the week prior (which is nice) and then they flew right from there. 

Had they played at home or something, who knows when they would've flown out.

Anthony Miller / Burton (skill position) and Kyle Long & Charles Leno are probably the biggest x-factors not named Trubisky for this offense.  To stick away from the Mitch debate, I'll outline some reasons why I could see certain of these players taking steps forward (post bye week) while others may not.  The good news, since I'm an optimist, is I don't think I'm being a total homer in saying, a couple of these key players should absolutely get better and if a few of them to, that in an of itself, will make the offense much better. 

Skill Position: Miller & Burton 

Miller needs to play consistent and get his head right and show that he is ready to take next steps forward. After being injured for a good chunk of training camp, the bye week should provide him with the necessary time to get fully assimilated back into the offense (similar for Burton who has been slow to rebound from his groin injury).  I am more optimistic for Miller because he has high potential vs. Burton, who still looks very slow and a shadow of the player he was, that said, I think the bye can help both of them significantly.  On top of that, they'll get back Gabriel, who has his own limitations, but his speed alone should help add more dimensionality to the offense.  

Oline: Long & Leno

The oline has struggled greatly this season.  While I can knock Daniels, I am going to stay silent here, because I truly believe in his talent and with his youth, he should get better and a bye week can help him spend a bit more time on the basics and increased nuances of center (vs. guard, where he played last year).  Kyle Long has been flat out atrocious this season, a shell of his former self.  I think the Bears are going to have to be real honest in their assessment of Kyle, both physically as well as his actual abilities, and make a decision during the bye week as to whether he can continue to be their starter.  I don't see high odds in him regaining his old form this year (unless there are other physical imitations I'm not aware of, it seems like all his past injuries are catching up with him, which is a bummer).  

On Leno's front, he has taken a major step back this year.  Combination of bad blocking + stupid penalties.  Leno is still young and I don't see any reason why he would have taken such a step back, which makes me think, this is more of a technique confidence thing, and with a bye week, we could see him rebound to his usual solid level of play. Leno isn't a star, but he's been consistently better than the player we've seen this season.  Him taking a step back to that level of normalcy, would be a huge improvement for the oline.  

LT this line has some solid young pieces (Whitehair, Daniels, and Leno) and I think it could take steps forward, but the run blocking has been atrocious since Nagy took over and while I think Leno can make progress and Daniel will get better (with time), I can't help but wonder, are there aspects of the Bears ground struggles that go beyond just the line.  I don't think there is a part of the Bears who isn't more on the hot-seat (from a needing a lot to fix), than everything associated with the Bears absymal rushing attack (most notably HC / OC / Oline).  I don't believe this is a RB issue at this point.  

Wildcards: Javon Wimms & Shaheen's Development

8 minutes ago, Tony said:

Bears need to be making serious phone calls to Atlanta about Matt Ryan. I'd be all over that, and may overpay to make it happen. 

yeah I was talking to my friend about that yesterday. The bears just are likely better off finding serviceability or a "top 15" qb as the vikes attempted. The Matt Ryan/Dalton/Newton/Foles route seems likely to be available.

20 minutes ago, Tony said:

Ideally, but every year you waste in this window is costing you. The future is RIGHT now. It's evident to most Mitch isn't the guy long term, so if something presents itself I think you have to make a move. I know a QB change during the season is incredibly difficult, I just don't think you have anymore time to waste on "figuring it out" with Mitch. 

I don't think you can upgrade QB during the season. Too much complications with system changes, etc. I also am not ready to jump to any conclusions based upon 3 games (one of which was pretty good - the Vikings game).  Plus, Trubisky played against all good defenses this year (with exception of the Redskins game and in that game, he did exactly what he needed to).  

The Bears offense has issues though and the fastest way to correct it is for Trubisky to take a step or two forward vs. the step back he took to start the year.  The big question mark is how limited will he be coming back from his injury.  I'm curious how he will be able to run and whether his mechanics will be impacted by the left shoulder injury.  

Just now, Chisoxfn said:

I don't think you can upgrade QB during the season. Too much complications with system changes, etc. I also am not ready to jump to any conclusions based upon 3 games (one of which was pretty good - the Vikings game).  Plus, Trubisky played against all good defenses this year (with exception of the Redskins game and in that game, he did exactly what he needed to).  

The Bears offense has issues though and the fastest way to correct it is for Trubisky to take a step or two forward vs. the step back he took to start the year.  The big question mark is how limited will he be coming back from his injury.  I'm curious how he will be able to run and whether his mechanics will be impacted by the left shoulder injury.  

If I were the Bears, I would look at drafting a QB early again, mainly because I believe you could strategize an approach where you focus on defense and leverage young, cheap QB's for the next few years (unless you have a truly transcendent QB).  I really think the new model is...win with a solid young QB on the cheap or win with a truly great QB who is paid at that level.  IF you get caught in between (which is what a ton of teams do...see Stafford, Goff (potentially), Ryan, etc), you end up not ever being able to field a good enough team around that above average, but not elite QB.  Heck, even the elite QB's can have a hard time overcoming the cap implications.  

1 minute ago, Chisoxfn said:

If I were the Bears, I would look at drafting a QB early again, mainly because I believe you could strategize an approach where you focus on defense and leverage young, cheap QB's for the next few years (unless you have a truly transcendent QB).  I really think the new model is...win with a solid young QB on the cheap or win with a truly great QB who is paid at that level.  IF you get caught in between (which is what a ton of teams do...see Stafford, Goff (potentially), Ryan, etc), you end up not ever being able to field a good enough team around that above average, but not elite QB.  Heck, even the elite QB's can have a hard time overcoming the cap implications.  

This is true but there is going to be a crapton of QB movement this offseason and some very serviceable guys may be available.

2 minutes ago, bmags said:

This is true but there is going to be a crapton of QB movement this offseason and some very serviceable guys may be available.

If I am the Bears, regardless of how Trubisky does, I probably bring in a guy on a one year deal that is serviceable.  With this D, you need a better contingent plan than Chase Daniel and you need to be prepared for the risk that Trubisky doesn't pan out.  

Mariotta & Carr are two guys that clearly could be out there, along with Matt Ryan.  Mariotta was someone the Bears brass liked previously (not sure whether Nagy did). HE clearly has struggled in the pro's.  That said, he's never been surrounded with strong offensive coaches/schemes.  The Titans (and injuries) have turned him into more of a pocket passer than he should be. Than again, the Bears (or other teams defensive schemes) have done the same to Mitch this year as well.  

I do think Nagy probably has had his own challenges from having a guy like Smith as his QB for so long. Very very savy vet who could handle any defensive scheme is a huge difference from a young QB (in this era).  I honestly think people drastically underestimate how long it takes for a QB to be "savy" at reads and how much you need to use scheme and simplicity early in a QB's career.  I think Matt wants to go heavy heavy and the reality is, it takes YEAR(S) to get there.  Even Mahomes, you've seen him more limited when teams hold him to the pocket (not that there are many cases of that) and make him truly dissect a d.