NFL Thread 2019-2020

8 minutes ago, Tony said:

The HC just said those TD's don't matter at all, it's garbage time and they mean nothing. 

Probably true...I just noticed him playing a little different. He looked to be playing a bit faster...that is all. But I always like to find a glimmer of hope in anything.  The reality is, I see a crap offense with a QB who is extremely timid to make a decision.  

2 minutes ago, whitesoxfan99 said:

Especially since they were lucky to score on both those drives as Mitch threw multiple balls that easily could have been picked.

Very true.  I also thought it was nice to see Shaheen, Miller, and Wims get in on the garbage action.  

1 minute ago, Tony said:

Yup, we all see it. It's very easy to spot, unfortunately. 

I still go back to the point, right now, the fastest way to fix it, is to fix that QB.  He isn't too far gone where this has been a 3 year issue. This looks like a guy who has lost his confidence and swagger and needing to find ways to get it back so he can play fast.  Usually an offense can go to things that it does well to get someone back on track, but I don't know what this offense does well.  They literally have minimal ability to do simple plays, especially since they can't run the football and have heaping garbage at TE (two things which are a young QB's best asset).  

Oh and don't get me started on 7 carries, one of which was an RPO and one of which was a run to Miller who fumbled.  The RPO was flat garbage since everyone on the planet would know that the Bears aren't going to have Mitch on like the 2nd play of the game keep the ball and have his shoulder crushed.  That would have been purely brilliant.  

21 minutes ago, Chisoxfn said:

Like I said, I was watching a player who looks like he has been coached into a robot. Part of that is on Mitch but I think part of this is on how they are coaching him. I really think they have been putting too much on a young QB. The exact definition of what Nagy was doing was putting him in a position where he had to take forever to process vs. play fast. It is the counter of what some of the up and coming offenses have been doing with their young QB's.  The whole reason we've seen more young QB's excel is OC's are simplifying playbook and doing things to help them play "fast". From Mcvay to Reid to Harbaugh to O'Brien.  Nagy eventually got it right last year (after an awful first few weeks).  I'm not sure whether he'll get it right this year. 

The big challenge with young QB's is when teams start to get more advanced and more and more game film is out there on them and their offenses, how well can you do when you have to start reading faster and doing more complex things.  It isn't as if Watson has been stellar all season. He's had some pretty bad games and has been very turnover prone...but he's also had some absolutely electric games.  

Mitch looks like a broken QB who has zero momentum and/or confidence.  

Oh my. Enough blaming the coach for the QB being complete trash. 

Putting too much on the 2nd pick in the draft in his 3rd full NFL season. How long do you need to baby him?

He's not a "young QB" anymore. Enough with the experience excuses.

It's not the coaching staffs fault that Mitch can never find the open guy. It's not the coaching staffs fault that Mitch can't hit basic corner routes and seem routes - missed 1 TD and one massive gain yesterday.

It's not the coaches fault the QB cant read a defense pre snap and adjust to the proper play.

Nagy should run more, he's making mistakes no doubt but the bears problems this year are tied to the fact that their QB just is not good.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Chisoxfn said:

Oh and don't get me started on 7 carries, one of which was an RPO and one of which was a run to Miller who fumbled.  The RPO was flat garbage since everyone on the planet would know that the Bears aren't going to have Mitch on like the 2nd play of the game keep the ball and have his shoulder crushed.  That would have been purely brilliant.  

The Bears ran like 16 RPO's yesterday, mitch never has any idea which one to chose.

Edited by Look at Ray Ray Run

Just now, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

Oh my. Enough blaming the coach for the QB being complete trash. 

Putting too much on the 2nd pick in the draft in his 3rd full NFL season. How long do you need to baby him?

He's not a "young QB" anymore. Enough with the experience excuses.

It's not the coaching staffs fault that Mitch can never find the open guy. It's not the coaching staffs fault that Mitch can't hit basic corner routes and seem routes - missed 1 TD and one massive gain yesterday.

It's not the coaches fault the QB cant read a defense pre snap and adjust to the proper play.

Nagy should run more, he's making mistakes no doubt but the bears problems this year are tied to the fact that their QB just is not good.

I have blamed Mitch too. I think it falls equally on both and there are also other players. We'll see how they respond and if they can fix it.  The good news is they are 3-3 and thus have time. They have a tough schedule and a difficult NFL north, however, the Bears next 3 opponents (Charges, Lions & Eagles) are in about the same place the Bears are in.  In fact, the Chargers & Eagles have had even more disastrous starts than the Bears (and they had high aspirations as well).  All of these teams are going to see if they can flip a switch and get things figured out...but right now...the Bears season (and Mitch Trubisky's career) is officially at a crossroads.  

27 minutes ago, Chisoxfn said:

Like I said, I was watching a player who looks like he has been coached into a robot. Part of that is on Mitch but I think part of this is on how they are coaching him. I really think they have been putting too much on a young QB. The exact definition of what Nagy was doing was putting him in a position where he had to take forever to process vs. play fast. It is the counter of what some of the up and coming offenses have been doing with their young QB's.  The whole reason we've seen more young QB's excel is OC's are simplifying playbook and doing things to help them play "fast". From Mcvay to Reid to Harbaugh to O'Brien.  Nagy eventually got it right last year (after an awful first few weeks).  I'm not sure whether he'll get it right this year. 

The big challenge with young QB's is when teams start to get more advanced and more and more game film is out there on them and their offenses, how well can you do when you have to start reading faster and doing more complex things.  It isn't as if Watson has been stellar all season. He's had some pretty bad games and has been very turnover prone...but he's also had some absolutely electric games.  

Mitch looks like a broken QB who has zero momentum and/or confidence.  

Lol Watson has one of the 5 worst pass blocking lines in the NFL in front of him.

He's been pretty sensational - that's why PFF has him in the top 5 and Mitch ranked 30th. 

If you just took 10% of what Watson understands about coverages and defenses and applied it to Mitch, it would be more than Mitch will ever know.

Keep up the good fight making excuses for a complete bum. Drawing any comparison from him to Watson - who is an MVP candidate - is hilarious. Thanks for the laugh.

1 minute ago, Chisoxfn said:

I have blamed Mitch too. I think it falls equally on both and there are also other players. We'll see how they respond and if they can fix it.  The good news is they are 3-3 and thus have time. They have a tough schedule and a difficult NFL north, however, the Bears next 3 opponents (Charges, Lions & Eagles) are in about the same place the Bears are in.  In fact, the Chargers & Eagles have had even more disastrous starts than the Bears (and they had high aspirations as well).  All of these teams are going to see if they can flip a switch and get things figured out...but right now...the Bears season (and Mitch Trubisky's career) is officially at a crossroads.  

1. Their schedule only gets harder from here, not easier.

2. It's not equally Nagy's fault that his QB can't complete routine NFL throws. That's absurd.

Anytime I read a trubisky post and it has a "but" in their to excuse his mistakes I move on. 

The trubisky apologists have dwindled but as we can see, they still exist.

1 minute ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

2. It's not equally Nagy's fault that his QB can't complete routine NFL throws. That's absurd.

Anytime I read a trubisky post and it has a "but" in their to excuse his mistakes I move on. 

Not apologizing for anything.  You can't just magically find a new QB. Doesn't work that way...so you better do what you can to try and fix this QB (right now). After the season, they can go down a different path, but right now, their past path forward is trying to correct their current guy, one who wasn't so bad last year.  I have never argued Mitch is destined to be a top 3 QB, but I would have been hard pressed to find anyone at the end of last season projecting him to be this bad.  What happened between now and than, I don't know, but Mitch absolutely is part of the problem right now...but he could also be part of the solution (as I still believe he has more upside than Daniels and never thought he had a lower floor than Daniels but right now...who knows).  The dude is broke out there (I've said that on multiple occasions but you can go ahead and ignore it since you like to troll for one answer).  

Yeah, as bad as a job coaching as I think Nagy is doing (he should be going to the game limiting mitches role, not relying on it), this is a lot of Mitch.

He hasn't been able to add anything to his plate that he didn't run in college. Teams have solved his RPOs, but he is comfortable in the RPOs, so nagy calls them, but anything beyond those he can't execute. He can't throw the ball deep, he clearly predetermines everything and even when it's open, he misses it badly.

He is looking like a bust so bad they can't find backup jobs. This offense is actually quite friendly to him, they threw everything to supporting him, and he can't do it. They needed him to just be average while they took advantage of a cheap QB. Well it didn't work out. Gotta move on.

3 minutes ago, Chisoxfn said:

Not apologizing for anything.  You can't just magically find a new QB. Doesn't work that way...so you better do what you can to try and fix this QB (right now). After the season, they can go down a different path, but right now, their past path forward is trying to correct their current guy, one who wasn't so bad last year.  I have never argued Mitch is destined to be a top 3 QB, but I would have been hard pressed to find anyone at the end of last season projecting him to be this bad.  What happened between now and than, I don't know, but Mitch absolutely is part of the problem right now...but he could also be part of the solution (as I still believe he has more upside than Daniels and never thought he had a lower floor than Daniels but right now...who knows).  The dude is broke out there (I've said that on multiple occasions but you can go ahead and ignore it since you like to troll for one answer).  

I was on the record saying trubisky was bad last year, because he was. His stats were inflated by 2 games vs horrible defenses. 

Trubisky was somewhere between the 20-25th worst QB in the NFL last year; that's bad. I'm not sure what you were watching last year but he was a one read QB last year - as he is this year. The league adjusted to take away his first option on plays and now he's horrendous. 

When he was drafted his accuracy was lauded. 3rd year and it seems it was never above average and getting worse.

Last year we were told wait until he gets the entire playbook and masters the offense. They put up 3 points vs GB and determine Mitch has has to grasp too much and were cutting down. Forget the bad throws. Could it be that mentally he isn't an NFL QB?

I don't think you're going to find a QB in season who will give you significant improvement. Everyone involved has the rest of this year to figure it out, for me. There's not much else they can do. This is the bed they have made.

If Mitch can't start showing some signs of being a good QB this year, then you have to take a hard look at Pace or whoever the actual fuck wanted him so bad that they had to trade up to get him. It's a serious offense of talent evaluation because you HAVE to be right on the money there. They stuck their entire future to this guy and if he flames out there's gonna be some heads rolling at Halas Hall. 

We're all sick of the cute shit where people think they know more than the rest of the league. It was basically common knowledge that Mahomes and Watson were the the top 2 QBs in the draft. I'm not plugged in that much, but I knew their names. When the show showed Trubisky as the pick I wondered who the hell he even was? It's a damn cute pick, thinking we're smarter than everyone and we found out that Mitch is not just the best QB in the draft, but the best one by a LANDSLIDE. 

Edited by South Sider

1 minute ago, South Sider said:

I don't think you're going to find a QB in season who will give you significant improvement. Everyone involved has the rest of this year to figure it out, for me. There's not much else they can do. This is the bed they have made.

If Mitch can't start showing some signs of being a good QB this year, then you have to take a hard look at Pace or whoever the actual fuck wanted him so bad that they had to trade up to get him. It's a serious offense of talent evaluation because you HAVE to be right on the money there. They stuck their entire future to this guy and if he flames out there's gonna be some heads rolling at Halas Hall. 

We're all sick of the cute shit where people think they know more than the rest of the league. It was basically common knowledge that Mahomes and Watson were the the top 2 QBs in the draft. I'm not plugged in that much, but I knew their names. When the show showed Trubisky as the pick I wondered who the hell he even was? It's a damn cute pick, thinking we're smarter than everyone and found out that Mitch is not just the best QB in the draft, but the best one by a LANDSLIDE. 

Your last paragraph is just flat out wrong. 

Only like 2 or 3 teams had Mahomes as #1. The rest of the teams all had Mitch/Watson #1/2 in one order or the other. 

It was absurd to watch college football and see what Watson did to Alabama and not think he was so much better... but NFL teams have no idea what they're looking for when evaluating a QB and overthink things. Almost no one had mahomes ahead of trubisky.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

When he was drafted his accuracy was lauded. 3rd year and it seems it was never above average and getting worse.

Last year we were told wait until he gets the entire playbook and masters the offense. They put up 3 points vs GB and determine Mitch has has to grasp too much and were cutting down. Forget the bad throws. Could it be that mentally he isn't an NFL QB?

Its 100% mental for him - he cant read a field, defense or anything for that matter. He doesnt know where hes supposed to go with the ball, cant go through progressions and has no at the line audible skills. 

His accuracy is just a nail in the coffin.

Just now, South Sider said:

We're all sick of the cute shit where people think they know more than the rest of the league. It was basically common knowledge that Mahomes and Watson were the the top 2 QBs in the draft. I'm not plugged in that much, but I knew their names. When the show showed Trubisky as the pick I wondered who the hell he even was? It's a damn cute pick, thinking we're smarter than everyone and found out that Mitch is not just the best QB in the draft, but the best one by a LANDSLIDE. 

This is probably a lost season, although I think they were 3-3 last year. But their offense hasn't been this bad since Bob Avelini. Chances that it turns around when the head coach admits he has no answers is very doubtful.

I just hope the Bears dont stick with Mitch like they did with Cutler, way past the time it was obvious things aren't going to ever be good enough.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

It was absurd to watch college football and see what Watson did to Alabama and not think he was so much better... but NFL teams have no idea what they're looking for when evaluating a QB and overthink things. Almost no one had mahomes ahead of trubisky.

Completely with ya here LRRR, I didn't hate the Trubisky pick but I was nervous since Watson just looked like everything The Bears had been missing in a QB. Turned out to be true.

2 minutes ago, South Sider said:

We're all sick of the cute shit where people think they know more than the rest of the league. It was basically common knowledge that Mahomes and Watson were the the top 2 QBs in the draft. I'm not plugged in that much, but I knew their names. When the show showed Trubisky as the pick I wondered who the hell he even was? It's a damn cute pick, thinking we're smarter than everyone and we found out that Mitch is not just the best QB in the draft, but the best one by a LANDSLIDE. 

Go check the 2017 Mock Drafts. I found 3, and the first QB off the board in all 3 was Trubisky. If it was common knowledge that those 2 were better, it didn't filter through to the people doing mock drafts. 

I gotta say - seeing baker struggle makes me more confused than ever what makes a good qb.

I liked that baker was so good at improvising when a play broke down last year. I figured that + play at an elite level against good competition is a must, regardless of things like height.

And in retrospect, it seems crazy that it wasn't obvious that mahomes wasn't the best after his like 800 yard performance against oklahoma. And his background, and his creativity.

I don't think, as I said, that i'd ever draft a QB high with as little experience as Trubisky. That said - kyler murray looks exciting still.

But it's clear to me Trubisky can't handle what's required to be an NFL QB. Many haven't, it's hard. But - gotta move to plan B in the org. I don't know what can be done this year, but they cannot go into next year with that kid at QB. 

9 minutes ago, TheTruth05 said:

Completely with ya here LRRR, I didn't hate the Trubisky pick but I was nervous since Watson just looked like everything The Bears had been missing in a QB. Turned out to be true.

there was so much hate on Watson, all about accuracy. And it did show, a lot on crossing routes in games. But he also was so good at finding the open man and that mattered a lot more. That translated for both him and Mahomes, against way more talented defenses they were able to handle broken down plans and find the open guy.

Trubisky had nothing like that experience. But I'm sure there's some QBs that also didn't and still succeeded. 

But that Lamar could go into an offseason and just say "i'm going to improve my deep ball". For him that really is just about technique, for Mitch it was also about processing when to go deep. And he just can't do both.

2 hours ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

Funny I said this team was 8-8 or 9-7 at best and some were b****ing and moaning about how good they are.  13-3 they said!  Lol.  I wonder how those same people are taking the reality that Nagy is dogshit and Mitch is even worse.

1 minute ago, soulfly said:

Funny I said this team was 8-8 or 9-7 at best and some were b****ing and moaning about how good they are.  13-3 they said!  Lol.  I wonder how those same people are taking the reality that Nagy is dogshit and Mitch is even worse.

Probably because you had nothing to base that on, but congratulations, you were right!