NFL Thread 2019-2020

13 minutes ago, NWINFan said:

I say let Mitch play, have the Bears run up a horrible record, get a high draft pick and pick a real quarterback. Enough of this nonsense already. This guy reminds me of Bobby Douglass. 

Hell you could even trade up to the 2nd draft pick! No way that could go badly.

40 minutes ago, NWINFan said:

I say let Mitch play, have the Bears run up a horrible record, get a high draft pick and pick a real quarterback. Enough of this nonsense already. This guy reminds me of Bobby Douglass. 

Problem with that is the Raiders own the Bears 1st round pick. 

5 hours ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

Your last paragraph is just flat out wrong. 

Only like 2 or 3 teams had Mahomes as #1. The rest of the teams all had Mitch/Watson #1/2 in one order or the other. 

It was absurd to watch college football and see what Watson did to Alabama and not think he was so much better... but NFL teams have no idea what they're looking for when evaluating a QB and overthink things. Almost no one had mahomes ahead of trubisky.

Which is bizarre and for those who had Mahomes ahead of him THOSE GUYS should be listened to. Mahomes dazzled at Texas Tech for multiple years. ONLY THING I can figure is it seemed everyone put up numbers in Tex Tech's offense so Mahomnes got downgraded, because if Graham Harrell can put up big stats, then so what? But unlike the other guys before him (to include Cliff Kingsbury), Mahomes DID NOT have a pop gun arm, he has a cannon. The offense is very sophisticated so you have to have the smarts.

The hilarious thing is when I go back and read draft previews everyone admits Mahomes talent, but almost always speak of him more as a "project". While one season wonder Trubisky is a more proven lock? I totally think that is poor analysis and has more to do with the schools the guys went to. 

The other nugget is the obscene idea to trade multiple picks to move up one spot...FOR THIS GUY? Mike Ditka trading an entire draft for Rickey Williams eventually lead to his demise. I fear the same could happen here. I just don't see a very good QB in this guy. His lack of pocket presence, ability to read defenses and just bad instincts is one thing, but missing simple NFL throws so consistently is just not acceptable. Ryan Pace so screwed up that draft. In fact, there was debate if ANY OF THOSE QB would even be Top 10, let alone Top 5. I am reading previews right now of the first one (yes Trubiskey) going #13. Hilarious. 

Edited by kwolf68

Reading the reviews of these 3 QBs is disgusting. It's like they were TRYING to find holes in Watson and Mahomes while accentuating the positives in Trubisky. Just a very sad situation on every level. The Bears as a franchise have been an absolute JOKE for QBs. What have we had all time?

ONE great one: Sid Luckman

ONE SOLID/OK QBs: Jim McMahon

THREE SERVICEABLE: Jim Harbaugh, Erik Kramer, George Blanda

The rest have been a collection of mental cases (Cutler), outright scrubs (McNown, Grossman), running backs (Bobby Douglas), guys who didn't need to pass (Wade), players plucked in an expanion draft (Huff) and guys who couldn't even do much with Walter in the backfield (Evans, Phipps, Avellini). Yep, it's a real who's who of suckage for the Bears. 

Edited by kwolf68

2 hours ago, NWINFan said:

That would imply the Bears actually have that 1st round pick this year. 

2 hours ago, NWINFan said:

Douglas was certainly not a good QB, but the late 60s and early 70s Bears were some of the worst teams in history, they were awful. Only a wrecked Dick Butkus and Doug Buffone were NFL quality back then. So who knows what Douglas would have done had he been in say ... Cincinnati working with Bill Walsh. I figure Walsh either turns him into something or he's delivering mail by camp. The Bears? Use him and develop him into a 46% passer. LOL

Edited by kwolf68

6 hours ago, Balta1701 said:

Go check the 2017 Mock Drafts. I found 3, and the first QB off the board in all 3 was Trubisky. If it was common knowledge that those 2 were better, it didn't filter through to the people doing mock drafts. 

There were a lot of draft boards that were split on either Watson or Trubisky as the top QB, but Mahomes was always seen as the more risky pick than either of those two.

I'll never understand what so many scouts thought they saw in a guy who only ever played a handful of college games, though.

48 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Just seems like the NFL is too fast for Mitch.  His reads, decision-making, and throws all seem rushed.  He just looks way over his head and it’s hard to see how he shakes out of this.

That's part of the reason Bill Parcell always said that you dont draft a QB high unless they started 4 years in school. They get the experience of doing this and you can evaluate  their effectiveness at it.

So there's this meta-discussion happening and because I pay attention to which specific people in various places are saying things at certain times, I'm interpreting a lot of the more harsh criticism of Nagy being people low key making excuses for Trubisky. This is being couched in "Trubisky has to be better but Nagy's play calling..." or "yeah but Nagy isn't running the ball enough..." So while there are elements of truth in this it's irrelevant and these are people who are only recently, reluctantly admitting fault in Trubisky because they were apologists until this week.

For all the shit Nagy takes for his play calling (7 run plays, ignoring Montgomery, letting Cohen become a non-factor, those things are completely warranted) the fact is the receivers ARE getting open (sometimes wide open!) and Trubisky either just doesn't see them or overthrows them by several yards. He stares down Robinson and never even looks at Gabriel - who is actually doing a great job and gets open often - or Miller or whichever running back is on a route. That isn't the running game, the offensive line, "Nagy's play calling" or anything else, Trubisky is specifically and directly accountable for that. If Nagy was doing anything more than he already is to help Trubisky he would have to throw the ball for him. Or Nagy does call a run in the form of an RPO but Trubisky will read P instead of R (Nagy has mentioned this while trying not to throw Trubisky under the bus) which makes the run-pass ratio worse than it already is. There is some blame to go around but not all of it can be shared.

Edited by lostfan
  • Love 1

14 hours ago, South Sider said:

I don't think you're going to find a QB in season who will give you significant improvement. Everyone involved has the rest of this year to figure it out, for me. There's not much else they can do. This is the bed they have made.

If Mitch can't start showing some signs of being a good QB this year, then you have to take a hard look at Pace or whoever the actual fuck wanted him so bad that they had to trade up to get him. It's a serious offense of talent evaluation because you HAVE to be right on the money there. They stuck their entire future to this guy and if he flames out there's gonna be some heads rolling at Halas Hall. 

We're all sick of the cute shit where people think they know more than the rest of the league. It was basically common knowledge that Mahomes and Watson were the the top 2 QBs in the draft. I'm not plugged in that much, but I knew their names. When the show showed Trubisky as the pick I wondered who the hell he even was? It's a damn cute pick, thinking we're smarter than everyone and we found out that Mitch is not just the best QB in the draft, but the best one by a LANDSLIDE. 

Nah this is revisionist. Trubisky was absolutely considered a legitimate prospect in the draft and would've gone in the first round had Pace not drafted him. The completely pointless trade-up to get him and leaving Watson on the board is completely fair criticism though and I tried to tell myself it was water under the bridge but it was just utterly wasted draft capital and one of the dumbest trades in franchise history. Verdict is definitely out on that one.

Edit: so I finished reading the thread and a bunch of people already jumped on this lol

Edited by lostfan

14 hours ago, Dick Allen said:

This is probably a lost season, although I think they were 3-3 last year. But their offense hasn't been this bad since Bob Avelini. Chances that it turns around when the head coach admits he has no answers is very doubtful.

I just hope the Bears dont stick with Mitch like they did with Cutler, way past the time it was obvious things aren't going to ever be good enough.

So  I really hate to be a stereotypical meatball Chicago fan who is always talking about the backup QB but Chase Daniel, while a statue in the pocket who will never be great, does not simply leave wide open receivers standing around and it's really time to seriously consider handing the reins over to him. I would not have said this even a month ago. The offense with him is barely average, but the offense with Mitch is as bad as anything John Fox's teams ran out there.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Just seems like the NFL is too fast for Mitch.  His reads, decision-making, and throws all seem rushed.  He just looks way over his head and it’s hard to see how he shakes out of this.

Which is why you have to at least try and run the ball, even if it's a struggle. Keep the defense honest. Never know when you are going to break a big run off.

51 minutes ago, Brian said:

Which is why you have to at least try and run the ball, even if it's a struggle. Keep the defense honest. Never know when you are going to break a big run off.

You never want to wind up with 7 runs in a game, but it's a symptom of the problem, not the problem itself. Start off trying to throw the ball and Mitch gives up terrible sacks, so you wind up 2nd and long and 3rd and long - can't run there. One possession turns into a touchdown (Yay) but it's on a kick return so no runs are tallied. Then you have a couple fumbles, and wind up down 2 scores early, so you have to focus on throwing the ball, and you wind up with that stat. We've seen even good coaches like Reid get there.

That's not a problem with your game plan, it comes from all the other problems. 

Normally you might have a point, but 7 runs? That is less than 2 a quarter,  and the first one was a receiver who fumbled.  It wasn't like the game was a blowout from the start. It was a pretty close game for a half. Even if you average 2 yards a carry, it beats up the defense, and eats clock which will rest yours.