NFL Thread 2019-2020

This season has put football on the backburner for me. There is just so much turnover in football, the only thread that ties teams together is the QB really. The 2000s having pretty much the same core defense for over a decade made it somewhat more tolerable.

But to once again be in the doldrums with trash QB, it makes the games too miserable. Feels like Bears have no way out, like they are the brooklyn nets having just gotten bounced after a meh playoffs and realizing they traded all their picks for 90 year olds.

It honestly feels a lot like the raiders. After years of rebuilding, suddenly have a fun promising team full of young players, only to realize the path forward may need to tear it down again. Fun.

1 hour ago, bmags said:

This season has put football on the backburner for me. There is just so much turnover in football, the only thread that ties teams together is the QB really. The 2000s having pretty much the same core defense for over a decade made it somewhat more tolerable.

But to once again be in the doldrums with trash QB, it makes the games too miserable. Feels like Bears have no way out, like they are the brooklyn nets having just gotten bounced after a meh playoffs and realizing they traded all their picks for 90 year olds.

It honestly feels a lot like the raiders. After years of rebuilding, suddenly have a fun promising team full of young players, only to realize the path forward may need to tear it down again. Fun.

Yep. Football is harder to rebuild than a baseball or hockey team. 53 players is a lot. 

I think the Bears might lose 10 or 11 games this year.  I still don't think you fire Nagy after one bad year, that's what the Browns and Washington do.  Although I think to help his case he should not get defensive with Chicago reporters.  That never goes anywhere good.

17 hours ago, SoxAce said:

Nagy getting all pissy at reporters right now on the post game.

I've seen losing coaches act a lot worse, but Nagy's explanation for the kneel down was worse than the call itself. It also shows he has no confidence in his team even to not fumble the ball. Nagy needs to go.

3 hours ago, bmags said:

I love the Bears. I truly countdown the days in the offseason until week 1, but I'm with you. I usually get pissed after losses but I practically don't care. I'm so used to this. It sucks.

35 minutes ago, GoSox05 said:

I think the Bears might lose 10 or 11 games this year.  I still don't think you fire Nagy after one bad year, that's what the Browns and Washington do.  Although I think to help his case he should not get defensive with Chicago reporters.  That never goes anywhere good.

I'd keep Nagy and fire Pace. If they finish 4-12, he will be 30-50 as a GM. Time to go.

Just now, NWINFan said:

I've seen losing coaches act a lot worse, but Nagy's explanation for the kneel down was worse than the call itself. It also shows he has no confidence in his team even to not fumble the ball. Nagy needs to go.

The funny thing is:

First they asked him about running it for another yard or two and he said no because of a potential loss or a fumble. He then ranted on how even before the 22 yard run, they were in FG position.

Then they asked about a pass and he laughed it off and said no because of a sack or fumble.

Dude, if you thought you were in position before a 22 yard run, did you think you would be out of it after a 5-8 yard sack? He's a fucking moron sometimes.

17 minutes ago, soxfan49 said:

I love the Bears. I truly countdown the days in the offseason until week 1, but I'm with you. I usually get pissed after losses but I practically don't care. I'm so used to this. It sucks.

I'd keep Nagy and fire Pace. If they finish 4-12, he will be 30-50 as a GM. Time to go.

It was down to Pace or Ballard and pace surprised won the job. And Ballard is building the team the way I like, lots of picks, lots of FA space. Pace hit on some big players by being aggressive but you see how quickly the window closes in the NFL and you need depth so much more than being top heavy.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, soxfan49 said:

it's never an attractive job to bring in a GM and say " you have to keep the coach"

• Like 1

In no way am I defending Trubisky, he has been really bad but I firmly believe Nagy is the bigger problem between the two. His playcalling is atrocious, the only bright spot is the defense and even that he's affecting negatively with his offense going 3 and out so often. 

I would get rid of both Pace and Nagy and have Trubisky develop under another coach before we close the book on him. 

My two cents.

1 minute ago, MexSoxFan#1 said:

In no way am I defending Trubisky, he has been really bad but I firmly believe Nagy is the bigger problem between the two. His playcalling is atrocious, the only bright spot is the defense and even that he's affecting negatively with his offense going 3 and out so often. 

I would get rid of both Pace and Nagy and have Trubisky develop under another coach before we close the book on him. 

My two cents.

What has trubisky done well to remotely believe this? Josh Allen has had more moments the last two years with a worse supporting cast to say "he has potential".

• Like 1

This season? Not much but he showed some flashes last season. I'm just saying that Trubisky is still young and before we let him go, let's hire another HC who isn't Nagy. Obviously it was Andy Reid who was the brilliant offensive mind in KC, Nagy has a tendency to become predictable and gets too pass heavy. 

Nagy sucks, even last season we were questioning his playcalling, he isn't the offensive genius we thought he would be, doesn't even know how to utilize Cohen...imagine Cohen under Sean Payton.

1 minute ago, MexSoxFan#1 said:

This season? Not much but he showed some flashes last season. I'm just saying that Trubisky is still young and before we let him go, let's hire another HC who isn't Nagy. Obviously it was Andy Reid who was the brilliant offensive mind in KC, Nagy has a tendency to become predictable and gets too pass heavy. 

Nagy sucks, even last season we were questioning his playcalling, he isn't the offensive genius we thought he would be, doesn't even know how to utilize Cohen...imagine Cohen under Sean Payton.

he's not that young.

3 minutes ago, MexSoxFan#1 said:

So this QB gets 3 different coaches? That's pretty much the definition of a coach-killer.

Anyway, fine keep him on the roster as a backup next year but there's a lot of 1st round QBs available this year, put another one on the roster. If he turns into Drew Brees and you've drafted Rivers...hey at least you have a good QB.

2 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

So this QB gets 3 different coaches? That's pretty much the definition of a coach-killer.

Anyway, fine keep him on the roster as a backup next year but there's a lot of 1st round QBs available this year, put another one on the roster. If he turns into Drew Brees and you've drafted Rivers...hey at least you have a good QB.

Ha, we could only dream about that being even remotely possible as a Bears fan, lol

Keep him, let him fight for a starting job in preseason and draft a QB. 

We might draft a legit franchise QB someday...just on the odds alone, lol.

5 hours ago, bmags said:

I could see the Bears having a strong bounce-back year next season.  I don't think they are as bad as their record and to be frank, should have 2 more wins (Raiders & Chargers).  Of course, they should have lost to the Broncos as well (or just as easily could).  I would have liked to see more pass rush, but for another straight week, Bears pass rush was non-existent (3rd straight game).  

2 hours ago, bmags said:

it's never an attractive job to bring in a GM and say " you have to keep the coach"

2 hours ago, bmags said:

They both get next year to fix it, imo.  

4 minutes ago, Chisoxfn said:

I could see the Bears having a strong bounce-back year next season.  I don't think they are as bad as their record and to be frank, should have 2 more wins (Raiders & Chargers).  Of course, they should have lost to the Broncos as well (or just as easily could).  I would have liked to see more pass rush, but for another straight week, Bears pass rush was non-existent (3rd straight game).  

The Bears record is right where it should be.  Were clearly outplayed by the Packers, Raiders, Broncos and Saints and clearly outplayed the Chargers, Vikings and Redskins.  They lost one they should have won and won one they should have lost.  

I feel like the Bears made a lot of moves including trading for Mack on the basis that Trubisky was going to be good.  He only isn't good, but really bad.  I feel like they are closer to blowing the whole thing up and starting over.  I wonder if they would trade Mack, you probably aren't getting two first round picks, but you might get a 1st and a 2nd. 

This would be the year to get a ton of draft picks and move up in the first round.  I just wouldn't trust Pace to do it.

36 minutes ago, MexSoxFan#1 said:

My two cents.

The difference is, for the first time all season, yesterday the offense really had the TOP game figured out and put together a ton of long drives.  They didn't convert and I put a ton of that blame on Nagy because I thought the play calling in those situations was just utter garbage.  I thought that would mean the pass rush would have been bigger and that would have forced some turnovers (and Rivers will give you a ton of opportunities to pick off balls that hang up in the air).  

36 minutes ago, bmags said:

What has trubisky done well to remotely believe this? Josh Allen has had more moments the last two years with a worse supporting cast to say "he has potential".

I don't think Josh Allen has shown he is better than Mitch.  Not at all.  Mitch is in the same boat as basically every QB drafted the past 2-3 years, not named Mahomes / Watson at this point.  Think about that for a second before people talk in such absolutes about Mitch (and this is from one of the posters who refused to say he was special last year when a bunch of people talked more confidently about him...but I believe it is in the Bears best interests to get him right (this year).  Backs to the wall...Bears played their best offensive game of the season (not counting that Redskins game cause it was the Skins)...unfortunately, they had 2 costly 4th quarter turnovers, 2 missed field goals, and 4 piss poor red zone performances.    

2 minutes ago, GoSox05 said:

I feel like the Bears made a lot of moves including trading for Mack on the basis that Trubisky was going to be good.  He only isn't good, but really bad.  I feel like they are closer to blowing the whole thing up and starting over.  I wonder if they would trade Mack, you probably aren't getting two first round picks, but you might get a 1st and a 2nd. 

This would be the year to get a ton of draft picks and move up in the first round.  I just wouldn't trust Pace to do it.

I very much disagree with the notion that the Bears are or should be anywhere close to blowing this up. If you put a pro-bowl QB on this team as-is, IMO they're right there with the Packers. They're top 6 in PPG given up by that defense, and that's with literally no help from the offense so the D has extra pressure on them. They have playmakers on offense, but they're being put in terrible positions and the QB isn't helping at all.