NFL Thread 2019-2020

Do you guys think that Mitch played well enough to buy some more time for his tenure as the Bears' QB? There aren't really any other options, so barring a trade, it would have to be Daniel. However, it seems that given the short leash that Trubisky likely has, I'm hoping that he shows enough to give us some hope that he could still be the guy, going forward.

Edited by Lillian

5 minutes ago, Lillian said:

Do you guys think that Mitch played well enough to buy some more time for his tenure as the Bears' QB?

He should be given the rest of the year no matter what. Then they'll know. Chase Daniel is trash and in his 3 starts he lost to the Raiders and Giants. He's not changing things.

2 hours ago, Lillian said:

Do you guys think that Mitch played well enough to buy some more time for his tenure as the Bears' QB? There aren't really any other options, so barring a trade, it would have to be Daniel. However, it seems that given the short leash that Trubisky likely has, I'm hoping that he shows enough to give us some hope that he could still be the guy, going forward.

He was going to get the rest of the season anyway. The trade deadline has passed.

4 hours ago, Lillian said:

Nope.  Ive known since he was in HS that he wasnt made for primetime.  They need to look for a QB stat.  Dude just cannot process in the NFL quickly enough

I just want to point out, Mitch, by all measures was pretty decent yesterday and they still had a shitton of 3 and outs (including the rare Gabriel drop).  I go back to pointing out...this is much bigger than the QB.  I know so many on here have blamed Mitch for everything, but Nagy has a TON of responsibility in this mess.  Play calling was better yesterday but the fact that we could run the heck out of the ball 2 years ago and when Nagy came in, immediately forgot how to do any of that, just irritates the heck out of me.  Never ignoring the fact that Mitch is responsible...I just go back to it is not near as "black & white" as some fans make it.  

Unfortunately...it was against the Lions and I have a feeling any momentum gets stuffed out against the Rams (mainly so the Bears can let me down in person)...but who knows.  One week at a time...get better every week.  Would be much nicer if the ship and momentum got turned in a positive direction heading into next year (where they could focus on less gimmicks and more on building out a real offense, ideally with Mitch stringing together continuing improving performances (which to be honest...I think 2 of the last 3 weeks...he has showed progress...of course my standards are at pretty low levels at this point).  

I'll tell you one thing....one thing that would help cure a lot of Bears ailments fast would be the defense finding the football a bit more, which I think all starts with Mack. I don't think it is a coincidence that the teams streak of getting minimal turnovers dates back to Mack's recent struggles of getting to the QB (and in general, the teams struggle in having a a more constant pass rush).  If Bears can do that and actually start off a game decent on offense (so they aren't playing from behind), I think you really start to tilt things more sharply to the teams strengths.  

9 hours ago, Chisoxfn said:

I'll tell you one thing....one thing that would help cure a lot of Bears ailments fast would be the defense finding the football a bit more, which I think all starts with Mack. I don't think it is a coincidence that the teams streak of getting minimal turnovers dates back to Mack's recent struggles of getting to the QB (and in general, the teams struggle in having a a more constant pass rush).  If Bears can do that and actually start off a game decent on offense (so they aren't playing from behind), I think you really start to tilt things more sharply to the teams strengths.  

Mack has been invisible since Hicks got injured. Makes you wonder just how good he actually is. Lawrence Taylor clone, he is not. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

Woulda, coulda, shoulda. I'm over past decisions. Goes back to my earlier point, Bears need to put blinders on to the outside and focus on getting themselves better each and every week. No matter what this season isn't going to end like we expected...but they have every opportunity to change the trajectory and tone heading in to next year.  Steadily improving offensive performances while the defense stays sharp (although ideally improving turnovers) is exactly what I would like to see.  Would be a hole lot nicer saying...you know what, lets upgrade our TE position, improve the line, and add draft picks, because we can win with this guy (Note: I did not say we can win because of him).  I of course would add a good veteran back-up for competition (either way).  

No matter what, I see the Bears changing OC's in the off-season and going to a more experienced guy or at the very least finding someone who could be a "run game" coordinator.  

4 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

So the Bears had their second fewest yards of the season vs. Detroit. They also tied their high mark on the season for sack allowed, and averaged less than even they average per carry running the ball. The problem doesn't appear to be Whitehead and Daniels switching positions. 

I think I said somewhere else...outside of those 3 drives, didn't they go 3 and out in all but one other possession.  The offense continues to be a problem. Mitch's body language looked much better though and he looked pretty comfortable going through his progressions.  I actually thought they could have done more in the 2nd half...they just chose to be ultra conservative, but I might just be overly rosey on that analogy. And this was against a really bad defense.

No other way of saying it other than this offense is historically bad.  Literally nothing to hang its hat on. That is on the coach more than the QB, however QB playing with more confidence can help.  

18 minutes ago, Chisoxfn said:

I think I said somewhere else...outside of those 3 drives, didn't they go 3 and out in all but one other possession.  The offense continues to be a problem. Mitch's body language looked much better though and he looked pretty comfortable going through his progressions.  I actually thought they could have done more in the 2nd half...they just chose to be ultra conservative, but I might just be overly rosey on that analogy. And this was against a really bad defense.

No other way of saying it other than this offense is historically bad.  Literally nothing to hang its hat on. That is on the coach more than the QB, however QB playing with more confidence can help.  

Yep, 3 good drives and the rest they picked up like 2 total first downs.  And one of those  drives needed a 4th down conversion in their own territory to extend it and the other was a 25 yard drive off a turnover.  The offense is brutal. 

The Lions hadn't allowed less than 370 yards in a game this season before the Bears game.  In fact, every QB who had faced the Lions this year threw for more yards than the Bears had total yards on Sunday.  That was not an offensive performance that anyone should feel good about.

12 minutes ago, whitesoxfan99 said:

Yep, 3 good drives and the rest they picked up like 2 total first downs.  And one of those  drives needed a 4th down conversion in their own territory to extend it and the other was a 25 yard drive off a turnover.  The offense is brutal. 

The Lions hadn't allowed less than 370 yards in a game this season before the Bears game.  In fact, every QB who had faced the Lions this year threw for more yards than the Bears had total yards on Sunday.  That was not an offensive performance that anyone should feel good about.

That's the sad part about this. There is no even temporary fix for this offense. I guess an NFL exec told Lawrence Holmes exactly what my buddy told me a while back. The league caught up to Nagy. They used to run gadget plays, and that made them look better than they were, but no more, and Mitch can't figure out the offense. What bothers me is they have some talent, and yet they look like a John Fox coached offense with Moses Moreno under center when they have the ball. It has to be the QB. Another NFL exec told David Kaplan the Bears are probably in the Super Bowl if Stafford is their QB. 

Edited by Dick Allen

12 hours ago, Tony said:

I emailed one of the local radio shows a few years ago and suggested they have a former GM come on and go through a previous draft detailing the pick, who they really wanted, etc. I’m sure there are plenty of cases where the player the GM wanted was off the board, so they “settled” for a future star.

I thought it would be a good and interesting topic. Not sure what would be in it for the former GM, though.