NFL Thread 2019-2020

They clearly need to add a QB and than next year they will likely be drafting a QB (not this year...unless someone falls).  I would still say Baker, Allen, Darnold, ....lot of QBs in the exact same camp as Mitch.  I bring in a very good vet and let the two compete...let the best man win.  Mitch hit the rest button on this year and see if you can truly grow from it....if you can't, well too bad. Nice guy but not good enough.  

9 minutes ago, Kyyle23 said:

I want no part of Mariota, Winston,fits, dalton.  A bunch of washed out garbage 

give me Cam.  If you want this RPO offense, give it to the guy who knows what to do

He's also had 1 good year in his career & his best attribute might be shot

Pass

Either sign Bridgewater or go 3-13 next year with the current bum

1 minute ago, soxfan49 said:

Besides 2015, find me the other good year

I don't need another QB who's inaccurate as all hell

He took them to the playoffs in 13, 15, and 18.  He doesn't throw a large amount of picks and he is good at using his legs.  They have never given him anyone to throw to, and when he was healthy last season he was tearing it up. 

I get that people are worried about him being injured but I would take that risk over the rest of the junk out there.  

1 minute ago, Kyyle23 said:

He took them to the playoffs in 13, 15, and 18.  He doesn't throw a large amount of picks and he is good at using his legs.  They have never given him anyone to throw to, and when he was healthy last season he was tearing it up. 

I get that people are worried about him being injured but I would take that risk over the rest of the junk out there.  

He was accurate last season, I'll give you that. I just don't buy it. He's had injury issues and now this foot issue is a mystery. I know "he" got CAR to the playoffs and doesn't throw a lot of picks, but Trubisky "got them" to the playoffs last year too and doesn't throw a lot of picks

We'll see. What I will say is I feel like a Newton acqusition would in fact energize the team

• Like 1

1 minute ago, GoSox05 said:

Cam Newton is going to be asking for at least 20-25 million per year.  That's if the Panthers even let him go. 

A consistently banged up QB playing behind that awful Bears OL, throwing to J.P Holtz and making 25 million a year.  Sounds great.

Yeah cam definitely is used to having great pass options and great olines to perform.

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, GoSox05 said:

Cam Newton is going to be asking for at least 20-25 million per year.  That's if the Panthers even let him go. 

A consistently banged up QB playing behind that awful Bears OL, throwing to J.P Holtz and making 25 million a year.  Sounds great.

I mean they do have two 2's to help the OL and about $30M in cap space. Burton should be back although he's a pansy. 

No way Newton gets 20-25M a year. I don't see it. Even if he did get 3 years, $60M from the Bears they'd probably guarantee 30-40 of it and he'd have 2 years to make this work. There aren't a ton of teams that need QB's- Cincy, Miami, Carolina, Tampa, young guys in GB/NE/MIN/NO maybe- but the latter will go the draft route and the other four will likely do the same. What teams will the Bears be competing against in FA/trades for Newton?

Edited by soxfan49

12 minutes ago, bmags said:

Yeah cam definitely is used to having great pass options and great olines to perform.

Yeah, Steve Smith, Greg Olsen, Christian McCaffery, DJ Moore, Ted Ginn were all good passing options.  He could have ended up throwing to two for sure Hall of Famers and if McCaffery keeps it up, he will also.

Curtis Samuel and DJ Moore are also two really good young WR. 

As far as the OL goes,  probably part of the reason he has dealt with so many injuries and that wasn't when he was turning 31 off a major injury.

Edited by GoSox05

11 minutes ago, soxfan49 said:

I mean they do have two 2's to help the OL and about $30M in cap space. Burton should be back although he's a pansy. 

No way Newton gets 20-25M a year. I don't see it. There aren't a ton of teams that need QB's- Cincy, Miami, Carolina, young guys in GB/NE/MIN maybe- but the latter will go the draft route and the other two will do the same. What teams will the Bears be competing against in FA/trades for Newton?

They have two draft picks until the 5th round.  That cap space is going to go quick with Newton, probably having to pay Eddie Jackson and keeping some other players. 

Burton is just average player regardless, I bet they release him to free up money.

If you don't think Newton will make crazy money, just look at other QBs in this league and what they make.  Not to mention the Bears or any other team might have to trade from him. 

Just now, GoSox05 said:

Yeah, Steve Smith, Greg Olsen, Christian McCaffery, DJ Moore, Ted Ginn were all good passing options.  He could have ended up throwing to two for sure Hall of Famers and if McCaffery keeps it up, he will also.

Curtis Samuel and DJ Moore are also two really good young WR. 

these players span a decade. He had DJ moore for his rookie year...last year. 

TED GINN!

You know football reasonably well, trying to imply that Cam has had great receivers is idiotic, it's been a major issue his whole career.

So..the bears have Allen Robinson. Is Robinson bad? Curtis Samuel has stats comparable to Anthony Miller. Is he bad too? Or is it that they need to have 4 all pros in receiving. Did Cam ever have that? 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, GoSox05 said:

They have two draft picks until the 5th round.  That cap space is going to go quick with Newton, probably having to pay Eddie Jackson and keeping some other players. 

Burton is just average player regardless, I bet they release him to free up money.

If you don't think Newton will make crazy money, just look at other QBs in this league and what they make.  Not to mention the Bears or any other team might have to trade from him. 

No, they have 3 draft picks before the 5th round

Keeping Jackson is iffy right now if you ask me. He was nothing special this year. I'd let him play out next year. They can also extend Robinson & Patterson to save cap space and also they'll be releasing Gabriel and Long to save even more cash

Cutting Burton now costs them money so he'll be on the roster next year

3 minutes ago, bmags said:

these players span a decade. He had DJ moore for his rookie year...last year. 

TED GINN!

You know football reasonably well, trying to imply that Cam has had great receivers is idiotic, it's been a major issue his whole career.

So..the bears have Allen Robinson. Is Robinson bad? Curtis Samuel has stats comparable to Anthony Miller. Is he bad too? Or is it that they need to have 4 all pros in receiving. Did Cam ever have that? 

Ted Ginn combined for 19 td and averaged 15 yards per catch in his three years in Carolina.  He's not a great player, but there is a reason he has been in the league for 13 years.

Cam hasn't had a ton of great passing options, but this idea that he has had nothing is ridiculous.  He also has had a great running game behind him his whole career.

There is also a huge difference of not having great passing options and a bad OL when you are a 25 Qb with the ability to run then when you are a 31 QB after two years of injuries.

14 minutes ago, soxfan49 said:

No, they have 3 draft picks before the 5th round

Keeping Jackson is iffy right now if you ask me. He was nothing special this year. I'd let him play out next year. They can also extend Robinson & Patterson to save cap space and also they'll be releasing Gabriel and Long to save even more cash

Cutting Burton now costs them money so he'll be on the roster next year

They have two 2nd round picks and then they don't draft until the 5th round. 

You could hold off on Jackson, but risk him not showing up or losing him in free agency.  They also don't have any other safeties signed for next year.

You can cut someone like Gabriel and Long is for sure gone, but you don't have a ton of options for replacing them.

Edited by GoSox05

31 minutes ago, GoSox05 said:

They have two 2nd round picks and then they don't draft until the 5th round. 

You could hold off on Jackson, but risk him not showing up or losing him in free agency.  They also don't have any other safeties signed for next year.

You can cut someone like Gabriel and Long is for sure gone, but you don't have a ton of options for replacing them.

They are getting a comp pick for Amos that'll 95% be a 4

Gabriel sucks. Wims and Ridley and Patterson will be just fine replacing him

• Like 1

3 hours ago, soxfan49 said:

Yeah I can see your point, but the odds that Keenum or Mariota will get them a championship aren't good. I suppose Bridgewater is an option but for $20M a year that likely means a lot of pieces will have to leave- Jackson perhaps, Robinson maybe, Cohen who cares, Patterson could be gone.

Plus if they run Trubisky's sorry ass out there and finish 4-12, it'll be a new GM/HC finding that quarterback. Pace loved Mariota, Glennon and Trubisky. If it was him making the 2021 pick I'd be with you, but it'll be a new GM and just by sheer chance he will have a better eye for QB talent than Pace.

Yeah, that's a steaming pile of crap selection.  If they can find a way to make Cam or Foles work (doubtful), that was more so what I'd prefer.  I don't know if I can stomach another 1st round QB bust.  I'd rather see the ship sink with somebody that has at least proven they can perform at that level before.  

2 hours ago, Chi Town Sox said:

Yeah, that's a steaming pile of crap selection.  If they can find a way to make Cam or Foles work (doubtful), that was more so what I'd prefer.  I don't know if I can stomach another 1st round QB bust.  I'd rather see the ship sink with somebody that has at least proven they can perform at that level before.  

Foles is junk. Teddy is fine if you believe in him but he probably has just as much downside as Mitch with less upside. I get Dalton and Cam, most notably Cam. A healthy Cam is an above average QB. Winston is a turnover machine but has lots of traits you like in a QB, but I don’t see them getting him. 

Get a good vet who you hand starting reigns to if Mitch doesn’t make serious progress after hitting reset button this offseason. I wouldn’t be shocked if Mitch came out next season a new man though. He can make some special throws...problem is he has a mental issue preventing him from acting quick and more decisive. 

7 hours ago, Chisoxfn said:

Foles is junk. Teddy is fine if you believe in him but he probably has just as much downside as Mitch with less upside. I get Dalton and Cam, most notably Cam. A healthy Cam is an above average QB. Winston is a turnover machine but has lots of traits you like in a QB, but I don’t see them getting him. 

Get a good vet who you hand starting reigns to if Mitch doesn’t make serious progress after hitting reset button this offseason. I wouldn’t be shocked if Mitch came out next season a new man though. He can make some special throws...problem is he has a mental issue preventing him from acting quick and more decisive. 

I have a feeling Mitch’s competition will be out of Tennessee. Either Tannehill or Mariota.