NFL Thread 2019-2020

8 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

Mitch is still their guy. As #932 on the season ticket waiting list, my time is coming soon.

Honestly I don't know why anyone is concerning themselves with this(and I'm not talking about just you, twitter freaked out).   He isn't gonna come out and say he is looking to replace Mitch with someone else.   Just a standard non-answer answer From him 

he didn't even really commit, a reporter asked him "is the plan to have Mitch as the starter?" And he replied "yes it's the plan".  Plans change, just ask Mike Glennon

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Kyyle23 said:

Honestly I don't know why anyone is concerning themselves with this(and I'm not talking about just you, twitter freaked out).   He isn't gonna come out and say he is looking to replace Mitch with someone else.   Just a standard non-answer answer From him 

he didn't even really commit, a reporter asked him "is the plan to have Mitch as the starter?" And he replied "yes it's the plan".  Plans change, just ask Mike Glennon

It’s so obviously a bald faced lie

Conference went exactly as I expected and I still think they are making the right statement on Mitch.  He is going to be the starter to open next season, unless he has a bad off-season.  They will bring in a back-up who is more capable of being the starter though.  They are not going to get Cam Newton.  

Worst thing out of the entire press conference was the fact that Anthony Miller needs surgery on his shoulder and will essentially miss the off-season. This will be the second time this shoulder is operated on as well.  

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Kyyle23 said:

No one said he had to come out and say he's looking to replace Mitch. He also didn't have to say "Mitch is our starter." He SHOULD HAVE said "we are going to look hard at improving every position, including quarterback." Why is that so hard? Didn't want to completely shatter the already-fucked confidence of Trubisky?

FWIW, Glennon was clearly beaten out by Trubisky all summer that year but was still handed the job, so yeah, if anything I think the Glennon situation says Trubisky will be the week 1 starter and without a 1st rounder, the "competition" will be Case Keenum or some 2nd round schlep

Dan Wiederer agrees- "feels more like sharpie than pencil"

At this point just finish 2-14 so Trevor Lawrence can come here

Edited by soxfan49

Jahns also reported that the oc and ol coach were responsible for the rushing part of the offense and the related schemes. Nagy might call the plays but he wasn’t the one regularly coaching the units and drawing up the ground game scheme. A head coach can only do so much on offense. He will always be involved but he has to rely on others. The mesh just wasn’t their and hopefully the Bears can upgrade. I would think Nagy still has some ability to go out and get someone and people from afar should see this gig as a possible turn around opportunity given how strong the defense is. 

4 hours ago, Chisoxfn said:

All the right moves. 

Their next hires and players for the new offensive unit will be of critical importance to the team next year. Nagy and Pace can’t mess up on these hires or acquisitions or their asses will be in the jackpot.

6 hours ago, Jack Parkman said:

Pace is delusional. George should have fired him at the end of the presser. I have no words after the Floyd/Shaheen comments. 

Agree. Pace is a joke.

I don't agree with you on Floyd though. He sucks as a pass rusher but as a LB who can float around and make plays, he's solid. Not even close to worth pick #9 though. Should've taken Tunsil

2 hours ago, caulfield12 said:

Next Bears GM

7 hours ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Lol...some fantastic hires right there!

Hiestand was a fantastic hire and helped the Bears have a great OL last year. I have no clue what happened this year. He won't be unemployed for long. The others are/were doofuses

41 minutes ago, soxfan49 said:

Agree. Pace is a joke.

I don't agree with you on Floyd though. He sucks as a pass rusher but as a LB who can float around and make plays, he's solid. Not even close to worth pick #9 though. Should've taken Tunsil

Next Bears GM

Hiestand was a fantastic hire and helped the Bears have a great OL last year. I have no clue what happened this year. He won't be unemployed for long. The others are/were doofuses

Floyd is an ILB not an OLB in a 3-4. He's being played out of position. Definitely not worth a top 10 pick though. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

On 1/1/2020 at 11:15 AM, soxfan49 said:

Agree. Pace is a joke.

Next Bears GM

Wonder what happens to DePodesta now...back to baseball?

Guess not!

Step One: Hire a general manager who will vibe with chief strategy officer Paul DePodesta, who has earned responsibility from within the organization and is reportedly running the head coaching search. My vote is for Eagles vice president of football operations Andrew Berry, who is bright and highly regarded and is believed to be in the running for the position. If Berry doesn’t work out, the key here is to hire someone smart that DePodesta can be tied to at the hip.

yahoo.com/sports

Edited by caulfield12

Needless to say 2020 is going to be an interesting year in Chicago for the Bears.

I am NOT a fan of Trubisky in the least. Seems to be a good guy, but I think a below average QB. But they really have to give it one more go. Cutting bait on Trubisky would amount to Pace admitting he made one of the greatest draft day blunders in Bears history. The fact is he has to ride out the storm with this QB and hope beyond hope Trubisky can figure it. That's the ONLY option for Pace. If it goes well then Pace can peacock all around Halas Hall. If he flames out then it's time to scare up a few U-Haul trucks. The Bears fail to make the playoffs next year with anything resembling the shambles of an offense they had this past year and a whole bunch of pink slips will be delivered.

However, you have to find a competent backup to stick in there if Trubisky falters. The window on this defense is open to make a great run. 

On 12/31/2019 at 3:12 PM, Chisoxfn said:

Jahns also reported that the oc and ol coach were responsible for the rushing part of the offense and the related schemes. Nagy might call the plays but he wasn’t the one regularly coaching the units and drawing up the ground game scheme. A head coach can only do so much on offense. He will always be involved but he has to rely on others. The mesh just wasn’t their and hopefully the Bears can upgrade. I would think Nagy still has some ability to go out and get someone and people from afar should see this gig as a possible turn around opportunity given how strong the defense is. 

Did he imply that Nagy had a lot of input on the passing schemes? The reason I had been critical of Nagy is I think he clearly had major influence or even full control on the passing schemes early last season and it showed on the field. I'm not sure if it's an issue of our QB, defenses figuring out his schemes and pre-snap movements, we're not running the same offense as last year and we failed to make adjustments in most games to get the offense going. While the Bears were bad at the ground game, they were even worse at passing, ranking dead last in YPA.

I thought Harry Hiestand was doing a pretty good job with that OL, considering they don't have a lot of great players on the OL and got hit with a ton of injuries this year. 

You never really know whats going on with assistants though.

3 hours ago, thxfrthmmrs said:

Did he imply that Nagy had a lot of input on the passing schemes? The reason I had been critical of Nagy is I think he clearly had major influence or even full control on the passing schemes early last season and it showed on the field. I'm not sure if it's an issue of our QB, defenses figuring out his schemes and pre-snap movements, we're not running the same offense as last year and we failed to make adjustments in most games to get the offense going. While the Bears were bad at the ground game, they were even worse at passing, ranking dead last in YPA.

The question is how much of the passing game is on Nagy vs Mitch not trusting his eyes and not having protection/time to go downfield? But yes it was implied that Nagy spends a lot more time with QB and passing game. They dialed up some nice downfield plays but obviously a lot left to be desired. 

2 hours ago, GoSox05 said:

I thought Harry Hiestand was doing a pretty good job with that OL, considering they don't have a lot of great players on the OL and got hit with a ton of injuries this year. 

You never really know whats going on with assistants though.

I presume this was more of an issue of bad schemes which didn’t mix with our positions and overall offense. Call it fit vs bad coach but I could be wrong. Oline did get impacted by injuries late but the ground game and overall blocking was a disaster. So was the passing game. Everyone responsible for the offense has a shit ton of work to do and self reflection if they are going to turn this thing around. This offense was absolutely awful and did nothing well. They have literally no strength/identity.