NFL Thread 2019-2020

2 hours ago, GoSox05 said:

I have a similar story.  My grandfather was a Cardinals fan, so my dad never had any ties to the Bears and starting liking the Packers in the 60's. 

I could care less if it makes me less of a "Chicagoan".

We're all Sox fans. If the Sox ever left Chicago all to the Cubs, I guarantee most of us would become Cardinal fans. I would. 

I get it. I question why in the hell I'm a Bears fan every December. 

In my age group(mid 30s) Most of the football fans are split in half between Bears/Packers. Especially before Lovie was hired. I know plenty of people who were born and raised in Chicago, born after the Bears won their lone SB and are and always have been Packer fans. This is more common than you think among those born in the mid to late 80s. Anyone who is young enough to not remember 1985 has a different perspective. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

3 hours ago, nickofypres said:

I don't know where ya'll live, but I always felt if you live in Chicago and root for the Packers that you're not a true Chicagoan. Might as well root for the Red Wings, Pistons and Twins while you're at it.

Let me tell you why I grew up a Packers fan from my father. Dad was born and raised by Midway, die hard Sox fan. Cheered for the Chicago football Cardinals, who played at old Comiskey. When the Cardinals moved out of Chicago he wouldn’t dare cheer for the team that played at the Sox crosstown rival stadium in Wrigley (Bears) so he decided to cheer for the Bears’ biggest rival (Packers). Now that’s a die hard Sox fan, Sox > Chicago. 

2 hours ago, tkling36 said:

I am from Chicago, live in Chicago and am a lifelong Packers fan.  My grandparents were big Chicago Cardinals fans.  They hated the Bears/Cubs and were all about the Sox and Cardinals.  When the Cardinals left for St. Louis in 1960, my grandparents couldn't stomach rooting for them in another city but also still hated the Bears and couldn't root for them.  My grandfather swore off pro-football but my grandma ended up a Packers fan out of her hate for the Bears.  There was a hardcore subset of Cardinals fans that eventually just picked another team to follow.  So maybe the reasons are petty or stupid why she chose that team but growing up, I was close with my grandma and start watching games with her as a kid in the Don Majkowski days.  Been my team ever since.  If I am not a true Chicagoan because of that, then so be it.

Yep

3 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

We're all Sox fans. If the Sox ever left Chicago all to the Cubs, I guarantee most of us would become Cardinal fans. I would. 

I get it. I question why in the hell I'm a Bears fan every December. 

In my age group(mid 30s) Most of the football fans are split in half between Bears/Packers. Especially before Lovie was hired. I know plenty of people who were born and raised in Chicago, born after the Bears won their lone SB and are and always have been Packer fans. 

Great analogy. I would absolutely become an STL fan and Cubs fans 40 years from now would be like you can’t be a true Chicagoan and cheer for the Cardinals!

People like sports teams not from the city they live in for different reasons.  It might be their parents or a team was really fun to watch growing up and it just stuck with them.  My best friend is a 49ers fan because he grew up watching Joe Montana and Jerry Rice and stuck with it.  I get it, those teams were fun as hell to watch. 

It doesn't make you any less part of that city. 

1 hour ago, GoSox05 said:

People like sports teams not from the city they live in for different reasons.  It might be their parents or a team was really fun to watch growing up and it just stuck with them.  My best friend is a 49ers fan because he grew up watching Joe Montana and Jerry Rice and stuck with it.  I get it, those teams were fun as hell to watch. 

It doesn't make you any less part of that city. 

There's no reason to be a fan of only your local team anymore. Be a fan of whoever you want to be. With all of the international streaming options, every team is competing for fans worldwide. It was very different when we were growing up. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

Defillipo an option for OC?  Or is he going to head back to his comfort zone in Philly? With Sherman turning down Bears (because of his inability to call plays), I presume Bears would at least try for Defillipo (but he may have same concerns Sherman had) or they are going to go with Kafka (KC QB coach).  

Just now, Chisoxfn said:

Defillipo an option for OC?  Or is he going to head back to his comfort zone in Philly? With Sherman turning down Bears (because of his inability to call plays), I presume Bears would at least try for Defillipo (but he may have same concerns Sherman had) or they are going to go with Kafka (KC QB coach).  

I post about Kafka but Biggs evidently said something about No Kafka and that Bears are targeting former Bengals OC Bill Lazor.  I don't believe he coached for anyone last year.  

I know the Bengals offense wasn't that bad (prior to AJ getting hurt, etc). That said, this isn't near as enticing as getting Sherman. I get it, Nagy doesn't want to relinquish play calling, but I think in hindsight we will all regret the day he didn't take a step back and hand the reigns to Sherman (where he could still be the head coach and have strong say...but leave gameday playcalling to his seasoned OC). 

The good news is the Bears at least went hard at Sherman, which indicated that to at least some extent, Nagy is okay having someone come in the room and challenge him. I sitll say this guy is a step up from Helfrich, who had never called a game at the NFL level as an OC.  

4 hours ago, Jack Parkman said:

There's no reason to be a fan of only your local team anymore. Be a fan of whoever you want to be. With all of the international streaming options, every team is competing for fans worldwide. It was very different when we were growing up. 

This still makes little sense to me. This is more if a fan of winning than being a fan of a team.

26 minutes ago, ptatc said:

This still makes little sense to me. This is more if a fan of winning than being a fan of a team.

Kids these days have very little allegiance to laundry like we do. They root for their favorite players, rather than any one team. Sports are much less frustrating that way. I can't blame them. 

4 hours ago, Jack Parkman said:

Everyone's gone after this upcoming season. 2020 is just the Nagy/Pace death march to 7-9. 

They're all back if they finish 7-9. If you want them all gone, you best hope for 4-12. McCaskey loves these guys; it's going to take an absolute meltdown.

42 minutes ago, soxfan49 said:

They're all back if they finish 7-9. If you want them all gone, you best hope for 4-12. McCaskey loves these guys; it's going to take an absolute meltdown.

I'll take 1-15. Then they get Trevor Lawrence too. 

George? Awe shit...I hope to all that is holy in football we don't have a Mike Brown/Marvin Lewis situation. I might have to commit football seppuku. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

59 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

I'll take 1-15. Then they get Trevor Lawrence too. 

George? Awe shit...I hope to all that is holy in football we don't have a Mike Brown/Marvin Lewis situation. I might have to commit football seppuku. 

Jfc do you ever read what you say?  FOUR HEAD COACHES HAVE BEEN HIRED UNDER GEORGE MCCASKEY IN HIS SHORT TENURE.   THIS IS NOTHING LIKE MIKE BROWN AND MARVIN LEWIS.

and it is extremely doubtful they go 1-1-15, 4-12, and I'm gonna go as far as to say 7-9 next years so suck it up

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Kyyle23 said:

Jfc do you ever read what you say?  FOUR COACHES HAVE BEEN HIRED UNDER GEORGE MCCASKEY IN HIS SHORT TENURE.   THIS IS NOTHING LIKE MIKE BROWN AND MARVIN LEWIS.

Not yet...there's not enough evidence. If George loves these guys.....we could get there. 

Pace and Nagy are fucking buffoons. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

11 minutes ago, Kyyle23 said:

Dude shut up already ffs

I thought there was enough evidence Pace sucks already. I liked him up until this season when all of his first rounders failed to develop(Floyd) or took a major step backwards(Trubisky/Smith) 

I never liked Trubisky but he showed enough growth in 2018 for me to be cautiously optimistic. Then he did a faceplant this season. 

Trubisky needed Kyle Shanahan to be successful. He'd fit his system like a glove. Too bad they didn't get him when he was available. 

Everyone has a right to b**** about Trubisky/Mahomes because that's the difference between the Bears being a juggernaut and in NFL purgatory of 7 to 9 wins annually. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

23 hours ago, Jack Parkman said:

I thought there was enough evidence Pace sucks already. I liked him up until this season when all of his first rounders failed to develop(Floyd) or took a major step backwards(Trubisky/Smith) 

So out of what, 4 seasons as GM, you were fine with him for the first 3?

11 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

So out of what, 4 seasons as GM, you were fine with him for the first 3?

I was willing to give him the benefit of the doubt on Trubisky but no more. He's been awful in the first round, and wasted 3 top 10 picks. The jury was out on Floyd and Trubisky until this season. The jury has now reached a verdict and both suck.

I always hated the Trubisky pick but there's nothing I could do about it. He did a good job building a very good defense and finding talented skill players. His work at QB and OL leave a lot to be desired. Floyd being bad hurts too. 

I liked what he was doing up until this season, when it was clear that he royally fucked up with Floyd and Trubisky. That's enough to cost him his job. He shouldn't be allowed to pick another QB. I'm at the point that I've seen enough. 

Edited by Jack Parkman